Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Kid home alone

what age to leave a kid alone for 20 min?
under 4  
 2%  [ 3 ]
 4%  [ 5 ]
 4%  [ 5 ]
 6%  [ 8 ]
 14%  [ 17 ]
 11%  [ 14 ]
10/11  
 35%  [ 42 ]
12/13  
 16%  [ 19 ]
14+  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 117

amother

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:13 pm
at what age would you allow your child to walk home (or be dropped off) from school to an empty house and stay home alone for :
a few minutes till you get back
a few hours

what factors would you use in determining the appropriate age? what kind of maturity would you look for to tell you when you can safely do this?
would it make a difference if it was 2 siblings together? what ages?
would it make a difference if you knew they would be watching videos or playing games on the computer so thus staying out of trouble?

also mention your city, b/c I think there's a big difference between NYC or a smaller town.

SingALong

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 10:49 pm
I chose 9, although I think it's a bit young. Because I live in a bungalow colony type neighborhood and I can ask a neighbor to kern an eye out, or child feels at home going to a neighbor for something. If I'd live in a city, I'd wait till age 12.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 11:17 pm
Probably at age 10. age 8 if there's an older sibling (like a 10 yr old or older) and I can be in phone contact with them, or they can call a neighbor if there's any toruble.

superjew

Post Sun, Dec 26 2010, 11:21 pm
Depends on the child & scenario

pumpkinsbubby

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:34 am
I chose 12-13. In the area where we live, I believe that is the age enforced by the public safety department. Although staying home alone can also be determined by the maturity of the child involved, still a mother can think, "I'm only going out for twenty minutes...." and it turns into alot longer due to many factors beyond her control:
The car breaks down
She gets into a fender bender
The meeting, shopping, takes longer than she anticipates, and on and on.....
Also, the kids might be watching videos, but what's if a stranger knocks at the door?
I know I might sound over-protective, but better safe than sorry.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:44 am
On my yishuv? For 20 minutes? From age 6.
And no, I don't think that's being negligible.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 9:46 am
To keep it short:
-who (know your kid)
-when (time, day)
-where (environment)
-why (is it "worth it")
Are to be considered.

My country doesn't have a law on it, but if c'v something happens and you're away, it can be "neglect".

Chayalle

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 12:59 pm
I think it depends on the child. My 9 year-old would cry. I just started leaving my 12 year old for short stints (like if she doesn't feel like coming with me to the nearby grocery for milk). This, with the fact that we live in a townhouse - attached to neighbors who are right there in an emergency.

Yippie

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:01 pm
when sleeping, under 4 for 20 minutes I leave a montior by next door neighbor

amother

Post Mon, Dec 27 2010, 1:03 pm
BTW I think in NY there's a minimum age but I forget what it is. (In NJ there isn't so the law is more hazy.)

My niece, at age 11, liked to sleep in on Sunday mornings, and my sis had to drive my nephew to school. A neighbor told my sister that if she sees her leaving with just my nephew she will report her.

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 3:21 am
I make sure that a neighbour is somewhere in the house or next door so if something is they can ask for help

Marion

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 3:34 am
In Ontario the law says 10, and 12 to babysit another child (no distinction AFAIK between sibling or not).

I would not allow my 4 year old to be dropped off by the bus, as at the moment to get home he'd have to cross a street and walk into the complex himself. If I had a curbside door and the driver could see him get into the house I *might* allow it for a 5 minute wait, on a day I just can't be in 3 places at once.

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Dec 28 2010, 2:02 pm
From the NY Office of Child & Family Services:

http://www.ocfs.state.ny.us/ma.....ision

Quote:
At what age is it okay to leave my children home alone?

OCFS is often asked questions regarding the appropriate age to leave a child alone, or what age is appropriate to allow a child to begin babysitting. There are no straightforward answers to these questions. All children develop at their own rate, and with their own special needs and abilities. Some children are responsible, intelligent, and independent enough to be left alone at 12 or 13 years of age. Likewise, there are some teenagers who are too irresponsible or who have special needs that limit their ability to be safe if they are left alone.
Parents and guardians need to make intelligent, reasoned decisions regarding these matters.

Below there are some items for these decision-makers to consider before leaving a child alone. Be aware, this is just the beginning of issues to consider. It is not an all-inclusive checklist to guarantee intelligent and reasoned decision-making:

* Consider the child: How mature is the child? How comfortable is the child with the circumstances? What has the child done in the past to show you he/she is able to take on this kind of responsibility?
* Consider the child’s knowledge and ability: Does the child know how and when to contact emergency help? Is the child able to prepare food for him/herself? Are there hazards to the child in the environment such as accessible knives, power tools, a stove or oven?
* Consider the circumstances: Where will the child be when left alone? How long is the child to be alone?

These same questions should be asked when considering whether a child is old enough to baby-sit. However, when considering a child as an adequate baby sitter, you must evaluate these factors for both the potential baby sitter as well as the needs of the child or children who will be cared for by the baby sitter. A child of 12 might be fine alone for two hours in an afternoon. Yet, the same child may be incapable of responsibly caring for a 5-year-old for that same period of time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics