Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensory issues
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:14 am
Why are these issues so prevalent today?

c.c.cookie

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:29 am
amother wrote:

I don't think they're necessarily more prevalent today. In the past they weren't called "sensory issues". A child who was a sensory seeker was labeled "wild" because he ran around, spun in circles, made messes etc. A child who was hyper-sensitive was just a "sensitive child" and a hypo-sensitive, or under-responsive child was probably "spacey" or "slow". The difference today is that there is an awareness of what it really is, and a way to help it.
I for example was "spacey" growing up. A lot of it was because I was over-responsive, and sounds and movement and touch bothered me, so I dealt with it by "spacing out". In my case it didn't affect my development and growth negatively, but there are others who suffer more.

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 11:32 am
Good question.

My son is mixed. Having 4 younger siblings around him activates his ADHD. LOL

I actually saw a $75 vest in an online sensory toy store that I considered buying for him. It's supposed to fill the need for deep pressure/tight hugs.

Here's a great resource for those who are just finding out about this or aren't quite sure what's what with their child.
http://www.sensory-processing-......html

(This is only one of his issues. We have a package deal. LOL )

For the poster who wrote that she's identifying symptoms in herself, ditto. I started noticing how overwhelmed and tense I can get when everyone's demanding something of me at the same time. The trick is to realize that first tense-up point and immediately relax yourself as much as possible. And then screen out what doesn't need your immediate attention and deal with those last.

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 12:46 pm
Found a study on that weighted vest I mentioned.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pu.....tplus

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
Genetics probably play a major part, and the ability to identify problems is relatively new (I heard nothing of sensory integration with my 1st, who is 25 and definitely could have used a diagnosis. Instead, they labeled him ADD which was also relatively new and gave him Ritalin which made absolutely no diff in his life and sort of proved he didn't have ADD. So they called it ODD (lehachisnik in Yiddish) with no treatment prescribed. He was definitely hyper sensitive in many areas and no one could diagnose it), plus there is so much more going on in the world in the past 30 years: audio, visual - who knows what affecting the fetuses, infants and later on toddlers and children.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 12:56 pm
What do you say to a child who tells you he can't wear stripes because they hurt him? Answer: okay, we'll give away all those beautiful Gap shirts we brought from America and you can wear plain shirts, the plainer the better :?
What do you do when your toddler cries at the thought of touching the finger paints you bought to try and do some sensory integration because of the family history? Answer: you give them away.
What do you do when the nursery teacher calls you in a panic because your child is hiding under a table covered with a cloth and won't come out? Answer: Try and start to explain sensory overload. You'd think they teach that at nursery teacher training, but my experience is that they don't. My prayers (which were answered) was that there would be no damage done due to ignorance. A couple of nursery teachers sure got an education while we were figuring things out, which will only serve to help them in the future.

aqua

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:07 pm
I think sensory issues aren't more prevalent..just more diagnosed, or recognized. When I recall my school years, I can 'diagnose' a few of my classmates, who were then labelled as 'wild, unruly, touchy, troublemakers etc' and in hindsight need more stimulation, or were too stimulated etc...

As for the weighted vest, it can do wonders for some kids - we have a few of them where I work. Some kids are embarrassed to wear them in public though...and you have to be sure about the amount of time they need to wear it.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:07 pm
I have 2 sensory kids. Ods is hypersensitive; yds is hyposensitive. Ods used to have severe tactile and auditory defensiveness. He has been getting therapy since he was 15 months. He is now 4 and is still getting therapy, but doesn't seem so defensive. He's still scared of water, snow, rain, and basically anything wet. Yds keeps himself entertained by walking in circles on tiptoe while flapping his arms. He also bangs his head whenever he's upset. His special ed therapist thinks he's autistic. I think its just sensory. Dh and I both have sensory issues. Ods is like I was as a kid and yds is like dh. I hope that because they're getting therapy, they will both have an easier time in school than me and dh did.

OldYoung

Post Tue, Jan 11 2011, 1:15 pm
My two year old most probably has sensory issues, but it seems like a mix of hypo and hyper. He has a tough time switching from long/short sleeves between seasons, doesn't like wearing clothing and diapers in general, doesn't eat lots of foods with specific textures, gets really upset when he walks on/touches grass, doesn't like being dirty but loves being in water and rubbing his blanket and soft fleecey fabrics. I haven't brought him to a therapist yet. I would like to do it sometime soon so that we can make things run a bit more smoothly at home. He has terrible tantrums often- probably as a result of different sensitivities- and is quite wild and active! I appreciate all of the advice, recommendations and shared experiences posted here! Keep them coming!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 7:01 am
Here is a riddle: What do you think is the first sensory-issue book ever written?
I just thought of it and it makes perfect sense.

kaffe

Post Wed, Jan 12 2011, 7:25 am
my LO is hyposensitive
wishing we qualified for OT...

Aribenj

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 1:28 pm
Seraph wrote:

My sil is an OT and recommended doing deep pressure massage, wrapping him tightly in hugs, tightly in blankets, making "sandwiches" with my kids, and doing heavy work that is grounding, like having him pick up and move heavy things, because it helps him "feel where he is".

Someone told me to try this too, and I tried rolling him up in a blanket or giving him a big bear hug and while he LOOVED it and thought it was hilarious, it only made him more hyper... I thought for sure that would have worked...

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 1:32 pm
Aribenj wrote:
Seraph wrote:

My sil is an OT and recommended doing deep pressure massage, wrapping him tightly in hugs, tightly in blankets, making "sandwiches" with my kids, and doing heavy work that is grounding, like having him pick up and move heavy things, because it helps him "feel where he is".

Someone told me to try this too, and I tried rolling him up in a blanket or giving him a big bear hug and while he LOOVED it and thought it was hilarious, it only made him more hyper... I thought for sure that would have worked...

One thing I've learned about sensory issues, is that no two children are alike. What's great for one kid can be horrible for another, and what makes the first kid totally hyper, might have a soothing affect on the second. Each kid should have his own sensory diet put together by an OT based on his/her specific sensory needs/preferences.

marina

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 1:34 pm
Tamiri wrote:
Here is a riddle: What do you think is the first sensory-issue book ever written?

pat the bunny?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 1:37 pm
Aribenj wrote:
Seraph wrote:

I would try to do it again and again, in one sitting. Bear hugs should be super tight. Tight, that you're afraid you are hurting him tight, but you actually are not. See if it calms him down once he gets enough.
If not... Sad

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 1:38 pm
marina wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

pat the bunny?
No. I was thinking "The Princess and the Pea". What do you think?

c.c.cookie

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 1:41 pm
Tamiri wrote:
marina wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

pat the bunny?
No. I was thinking "The Princess and the Pea". What do you think?

Totally!

ysydmom

Post Mon, Jan 17 2011, 1:45 pm
I have 2 kids that love to touch everything my son will touch every peice of snow he can get his hands on, they go for OT and it helps a bit but it's not enough. They need constant stimulation constant touching my dd is a bit better but certain foods bother her . she is a very picky eater. Not sure what to do about that. they love getting messy.

tikva18

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 11:48 pm
Seraph wrote:

According to my OT sil, its not defined as sensory integration disorder unless it disrupts day to day life to the extent that you can't live normally. Otherwise its just sensory "issues", which are very prevalent today. But according to her, most kids would benefit from OT and sensory gyms. Some kids just need it to function and others just would function better with it.

For the record, bird song and high pitched frequency sounds are supposed to help with sensory issues.

I want to read the out of sync child, I just need to get my hands on it.

My one ds has sensory integration disorder - although much improved today - he definitely is still there - I don't know yet if it's couched under another diagnosis as a part of that or not. He used to throw up at every single meal because he couldn't tolerate the texture of his foods - he became emaciated and was refusing to eat. He will not wear a coat. Will not. My father told me the other day that if I had forced the issue then he wouldn't be like this. I thought about it and thought back to when he quit wearing his coat - we had HUGE go-arounds with me forcing him into it and him screaming and screaming - for over an hour - and then, me spent, realizing that that wasn't working and WHAT was I doing to my child anyway? after that hour he still wouldn't keep his coat on. I gained nothing and harmed him by forcing him. I regret it. FTR, he's 12 now and still doesn't wear that coat.
We did OT for quite some time - but it's very expensive and he's one of 3 children here who needs it - the OT did help with the food - we did feeding therapy. I've learned that I can't hug him, but I can rub his back vigorously.

My oldest ds is sensory seeking - he craves deep pressure, breaks his shoe laces regularly - kept his belt so tight that he practically cut himself in half with it and used to get infections in his belly button. My3rd ds is sensory lacking - he can't tell that his pants are sideways, etc.

But it's only with my 12 yr old that I'm sure that he's got SID - the others have some issues, but they manage.

Another good book to get is The Highly Sensitive Child by Dr. Elaine Aron.

mom & more

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 12:22 am
My ds age 4.5 has major sensory issues!! He even sat in to a can of orange paint one day!! He has OT three times a week and I try to give him lots and lots of sensory experiences as possible (we have a box of rice special for him to play with and he is the official "cleaner" in the house!)

My big issue with him now is the sensory issues by his mouth! Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, goes into his mouth - his sleeves, his coat, papers, glue, etc. - you name it, and its in his mouth! I am at wits end!! He shredded his tops this winter. His coat looks like its straight out of a trashbin! I spoke to his sppech therpist who recommended that I buy him teethers, like for a baby. Well, he does have stronger teeth and he ripped them to bits! Anyone have any suggestions???
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)