Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Sensory issues
Previous  1  2  3

supermama2

Post Wed, Feb 23 2011, 1:41 am
mom & more wrote:
My ds age 4.5 has major sensory issues!! He even sat in to a can of orange paint one day!! He has OT three times a week and I try to give him lots and lots of sensory experiences as possible (we have a box of rice special for him to play with and he is the official "cleaner" in the house!)

My big issue with him now is the sensory issues by his mouth! Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, goes into his mouth - his sleeves, his coat, papers, glue, etc. - you name it, and its in his mouth! I am at wits end!! He shredded his tops this winter. His coat looks like its straight out of a trashbin! I spoke to his sppech therpist who recommended that I buy him teethers, like for a baby. Well, he does have stronger teeth and he ripped them to bits! Anyone have any suggestions???

What about a slightly damp wash cloth that is put in the freezer for a while. It works for teething babies...and isn't as easily torn to shreds.

Coke Slurpee

Post Fri, Feb 25 2011, 1:49 am
Mom & More for oral sensory input - if you are comfortable with giving your child gum that will def. work; otherwise offering crunchy snacks throughout the day ie. pretzels, peppers, apples etc.. If you don't want to do food you can buy a chewy tube- I'm not sure if that's exactly what its called but its basically rubber tubing that he can chew thats supposed to help for oral sensory.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)