Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
How do I know if a rash is from an allergic reaction?

amother

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 5:23 am
I posted this in the pregnancy forum, but now I'm thinking it might not be pregnancy related. Last night I suddenly broke out in a rash. It started near my wrists and elbows, then spread to my thighs and over the course of the night it spread to my entire body - stomach, back, shoulders, behind the knees etc. In some places it looked like a bunch of mosquito bites, in other areas it was more like huge red blotches. At around 2:30 AM I took Fenistil, which is the Israeli equivalent to Benadryl, and finally fell asleep. When my baby woke my at 5:00 AM the rash was almost completely gone.
I have no known food allergies, but have no idea what else this could be. Can an allergic reaction last for only 6-8 hours? Is it possible I developed a new allergy during pregnancy? (A little while before I broke out I had chocolate with peanut butter in it, and peanut butter is not part of my regular diet.) For those of you with experience with allergic reactions - does this sound like a rash from an allergic reaction?

allrgymama

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 3:39 pm
I suppose that anything is possible, but I would see my regular doctor first, if I were you.

Also, you said that you were pregnant? Is Fentistil something you're allowed to take when pregnant?

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jan 28 2011, 4:17 pm
pregnancy rash!!! PUPPPS. I had that too.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 4:06 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
pregnancy rash!!! PUPPPS. I had that too.

Is it possible I would get it really early in pregnancy? I understood it comes later. I'm only 11 weeks pregnant. Also, it only lasted about 6-8 hours, then disappeared w/o a trace, can that be PUPPPS?

melbee

Post Sat, Jan 29 2011, 10:44 pm
It doesn't sound like PUPPS to me, although that was my initial thought. I had PUPPS as well, and did some research on it while going through, and I learned it mostly happens in the third tri and is generally only for a first pregnancy. Sounds like a strange rash though. I would def bring it up to my OB next visit, and sooner if it happens again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics