Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Gourmet Guests
1  2  Next

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 9:01 pm
Help! I'm having real
"foodies" (is that a real word???) as guests this Shabbos. They are super nice people and will appreciate any type of meal. But does anyone have some good ideas? I'm especially drawing a blank in the salad department.
TIA!!!

Sweet Valley Gal

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 9:13 pm
What does "foodies" mean?

My salads this week:
Cucumber Salad
Deli Salad
Nish Nosh Salad
Hearts of Palm Salad

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 9:15 pm
Many years ago, as a newlywed, we invited guests for Shabbos lunch where the wife was a professional chef. I served my standard meal (of course tasty and served nicely), and they were so appreciative. They said that usually everyone only serves them their fanciest things, but they really prefer standard cooking.

Yocheved_G

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 9:41 pm
Ooh, I feel your pain!

A few ideas...

Eggplant Salad

Dip eggplant slices in flour, egg, breadcrumbs. Bake (brush with oil) or fry slices. After they cool, cut eggplants into cubes. Dice tomatoes & toss with eggplant. Dress with oil & vinegar & add garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste.

Deviled Eggs

Slice eggs & scoop out yolks & mash until smooth, add mayo & salt. Fill whites with mixture.

Sesame Noodles
Eggrolls
Salad with all the fixins'

HTH!
Good Shabbos!

MrsMortgage

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 9:51 pm
I find that my 3 friends who are caterers all agree: make what you make best! they prefer when I make the foods I have experience making rather than patchka-ing around with new fancy recipes. and anyway, I'm sure they are coming for the company.

MamaBear

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 10:43 pm
Make a roasted portobello and pepper salad...essentially mixed greens with roasted portobello mushrooms, roasted red peppers and a balsamic reduction sprinkled on top with fresh basil. You can google for an exact recipe.

A cold sweet potato salad is interesting and yummy. Here's my favorite:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09......html

OldYoung

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 10:44 pm
Which meal are you having them for?

This thread might be helpful
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....=menu

SingALong

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 11:46 pm
Easy pretty salads:

Chopped tomatoes, scallions, bit of oil with salt and pepper

Ceasar salad with a couple of toppings

Marinated salad of sliced squash, green and red pepper, snow peas, purple onion, baby corn, dressing is oil, vinegar and sugar. Best made in advance.

If u are having them shabbos day, u may want to do whole wheat wraps spread with mayo/mustard, cold cuts, and lettuce. Set them up on a platter with other deli stuff looks nice without too much work

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 11:49 pm
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:

My salads this week:
Cucumber Salad
Deli Salad
Nish Nosh Salad
Hearts of Palm Salad

Not sure what foodie means but I love using the word! Seriously, they are into good food. They know how to cook a roast the right way - no slathering with duck sauce and leaving in the oven for a few hours. But if I do that it's no problem. I just want to make it a nice meal because they will appreciate it. They are coming Friday night. Oh! What is the Nish Nosh Salad? I've seen it mentioned here a few times.

ttbtbm

Post Wed, Feb 02 2011, 11:57 pm
MamaBear wrote:
Make a roasted portobello and pepper salad...essentially mixed greens with roasted portobello mushrooms, roasted red peppers and a balsamic reduction sprinkled on top with fresh basil. You can google for an exact recipe.

A cold sweet potato salad is interesting and yummy. Here's my favorite:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09......html

Thanks! Looks great! How do you check/wash portobello mushrooms?

greeneyes

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 10:48 am
ttbtbm wrote:
Sweet Valley Gal wrote:

My salads this week:
Cucumber Salad
Deli Salad
Nish Nosh Salad
Hearts of Palm Salad

Not sure what foodie means but I love using the word! Seriously, they are into good food. They know how to cook a roast the right way - no slathering with duck sauce and leaving in the oven for a few hours. But if I do that it's no problem. I just want to make it a nice meal because they will appreciate it. They are coming Friday night. Oh! What is the Nish Nosh Salad? I've seen it mentioned here a few times.

http://www.imamother.com/forum.....22947

Nomad

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 11:07 am
okay, this may be coming from watching "top chef" for so many years, but foodies seem to really like food that is just tasty with fresh ingredients.

basically, keep it simple and delicious. the less patchkaing, the better.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 11:12 am
Foodies may have items they dislike (for example, I dislike whole olives) or associations they deem bad (for example, pasta and ketchup for most people "into food" I know).
You should ask them if there are things they "cannot eat"!

ally

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 11:49 am
I'd say make a simple roast - and if you're not confident in your roasting abilities, use a cut that is good for slow cooking.
If you are having a fish course - make a side of salmon (but be careful not to overcook it) or my new favourite is getting some minced whitefish (you can mix with tilapia too) and add red curry paste, some ginger, mint, cilantro (if you like it), make into patties and fry it.
A nice side is halved cherry tomatoes, roasted seed side up with a bit of sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, splash of olive oil and balsamic. you can add a sprinkle of brown sugar too.

Avrahamamma

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:03 pm
I make this one eggplant dish my husband looks forward to every shabat.

1. cut eggplant in half brush with oil and salt
2. put the 2 halves in oven 350 until soften
3. mash the inside of the eggplant (I like to do it in the skin)
4.mix in techina
5. drizzle silan or honey on top
6. serve

it looks fancy but its simple and very delicious. you can use smaller eggplants and everyone can get their own half.

israeli salad chopped veggies . I always add mint when I want to fancy it up.

fresh and simple always stands out.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:06 pm
My SIL's family are very gourmet so that's where I go for recipes when I'm in the mood...her most recent contribution is what we call upscale coleslaw.....a cabbage salad with purple onion, fresh dill, slivered almonds, and sunflower seeds. It's easy and that perfect combo of salt and crunch. I can post if you are interested (I'll have to go find the recipe.)

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:08 pm
Nomad wrote:
okay, this may be coming from watching "top chef" for so many years, but foodies seem to really like food that is just tasty with fresh ingredients.

basically, keep it simple and delicious. the less patchkaing, the better.

Sounds just like them!! ha ha!!! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

ttbtbm

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:10 pm
Thanks for all the ideas!!!
There are so many great ideas I'll have to invite more gourmet guests next week to try them all out!

saw50st8

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:11 pm
Don't make a nish nosh salad...that's not...um...classy.

A really great recipe is the asian steak salad from Kosher by Design.

Fox

Post Thu, Feb 03 2011, 12:30 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Many years ago, as a newlywed, we invited guests for Shabbos lunch where the wife was a professional chef. I served my standard meal (of course tasty and served nicely), and they were so appreciative. They said that usually everyone only serves them their fanciest things, but they really prefer standard cooking.

MrsMortgage wrote:
I find that my 3 friends who are caterers all agree: make what you make best! they prefer when I make the foods I have experience making rather than patchka-ing around with new fancy recipes. and anyway, I'm sure they are coming for the company.

DH's chavrusa is a professional chef, and he eats most Shabbos meals with us (his family is in EY right now, and he's working in the US). His favorite, most-requested dessert? Rice Krispie Treats.

Sometimes I think "foodies" and professionals are actually less critical of home cooking than others. They understand that home cooking is its own art and has its own standards, and they appreciate it. If they wanted racks of seared songbirds with a truffle-infused glaze and ginger-coated roasted baby sweet potatoes . . . ? Well, they'd know where to get it!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics