Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Do you give mishloach manos for teachers, principals?

Seraph

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 5:19 pm
Growing up, we never gave mishloach manos to teachers or principals.

I was a ganenet and I definitely felt appreciated when I got mishloach manos from the parents of the kids I watched. But for the most part, the parents and I were also friends.

Now I homeschool, so no teachers. But I'm not sure if I would give mishloach manos to teachers. Guess it depends if I liked them or not. Tongue Out

How about you? do you give mishloach manos for teachers, principals?

obagys

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 5:22 pm
We give to teachers (and assistants) but not to principals. I guess if I had a child that frequented the principal's office we'd be inclined to give him too.

Tova

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 5:23 pm
My kids' babysitters/ Morahs are the FIRST on the list. I can show appreciation and kids get to show the teachers their costumes, etc.

Barbara

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 5:29 pm
IIRC, our school always has a collection for MM for teachers and staff. I don't give anything separate.

SingALong

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 5:35 pm
for playgroup morahs and teachers, I give a small MM, like a grape juice iwth chocolates with a check. I think that is more appreciated since I can't imagine what a teacher would do with 30 baskets of various confections, cakes, cookies, kugels u name it that need to be eaten before pesach.

yentadevosha

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 5:48 pm
School policy- we can't give to teachers, but to melamdim I do give plus a generous tip. (I give a tip to my dds teachers after purim)

yo'ma

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 6:36 pm
When we lived in NY, I gave once to a teacher who lived 2 blocks away from us. I don't really remember here if they collect for the teachers because purim doesn't always end up during the school year. I don't go to their houses especially for the same reason. I do know they don't give out a sheet of the teachers address.

artikidove

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 7:27 pm
As a teacher, I get a few from parents I am close with and from the parents who are very politically correct - the ones who get me chocolates for chanukah. It's nice to know that I'm appreciated but I don't think it's necessary especially these days when each kid has 7 teachers!

gumdrop

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 8:24 pm
I didn't give when I was a kid bc my mother was busy and somehow it never happened but I always felt horrible about it. So I make sure to take my kids on purim and include a check that is the main thing.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Mon, Feb 07 2011, 11:41 pm
Quote:
I didn't give when I was a kid bc my mother was busy and somehow it never happened but I always felt horrible about it.

There are some schools that davka have a rule that no MM to the teachers, because of this reason. Its a busy day, many mothers have large families, and it would just be impossible to shlep around to at least 2 teachers for each kids.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 6:59 am
No MM, no tip, no nothing. BH.
And I AM a teacher and still think the same, yes.

MiamiMommy

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 9:45 am
Our school does a MM program to raise money for the school. Each person on the list gets a cute MM along with a card listing everyone who it's from. That's what I do for the teachers/staff.

Sometimes it happens that I'm friendly with one of my kids teachers, like this year. I'll probably do the school one for her, and I'll also give her one of the ones we give to our friends as well.

pina colada

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 9:50 am
teachers, yes
principals, no

pina colada

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 9:52 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
Quote:
I didn't give when I was a kid bc my mother was busy and somehow it never happened but I always felt horrible about it.

There are some schools that davka have a rule that no MM to the teachers, because of this reason. Its a busy day, many mothers have large families, and it would just be impossible to shlep around to at least 2 teachers for each kids.

they can bring the mm to school the day before or the day after purim. when I was in school that's what we did, and the teachers usually brought mm to school for those children that didn't make it to their home.

Dayzmom

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 10:06 am
In our household the rebbeim get the nicest ones. I'm really appreciative of them AND it doesn't hurt for the student either Smile. My high school daughter has about 20 teachers so we give to the homeroom teacher and 1 or 2 that she has more of a connection to.

farm

Post Tue, Feb 08 2011, 4:51 pm
In the school I send to, PTA organizes one big MM for each staff member with a card listing which parents participated. It's a few dollars per teacher or the entire staff for a lump sum fee (so once you are giving ten or more teachers you may as well give everyone on staff). We participate in that and bring a package with wine and a box of chocolates on Purim.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 11 2011, 9:35 am
I send mm to school tanis esther. We try to go the rebbes on purim if possible because the boys really want.

apple24

Post Sun, Feb 13 2011, 11:04 pm
I am a teacher and parent. I always appreciate getting MM from students, though I do not think its an expectation. As a parent, try very hard to give my kids teachers, as a token of my hakaras hatov for them. I always write a nice letter about how much I appreciate them (which to me is by far the most special part of getting/recieving MM from students/teachers
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics