Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How do you keep ur kids entertained on shabbos?! HELP!!
1  2  Next

nechami1

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 5:34 pm
I feel dead stressed, my boys have been a real handful today, all morning till DH coes home from Shul they are literally dancing around, saying they are bored, hungry etc, and then this afternoon as well, and last night! I feel like I didnt have a minutes peace this Shabbos, and it really gets me down. Any suggestions for games, ideas anyone out there have the same challenge (I dont like to call it a problem- they are my gorgeous kids, just get out of hand)
IDEAS PLEASE

torahtots

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 7:11 pm
In the morning we read books when DH leaves for shul. (He is in charge of the kids from the time they get up until he leaves for shul. Usually he puts on a play or a puppet show.) Then we get ready for shul, pack a bag and go in time to get there for kids' minyan. After kids' minyan the kids go to Daddy in the men's section or run around outside till shul is over. Then we go home, eat lunch, the little one takes a nap and the big one plays, and when the little one gets up we go to the park till Shabbos is over.

We have a lot of board games and puzzles that we take out on Shabbos, but nothing exciting I can recommend. I do recommend going to shul even if the kids don't go in and you don't get to daven. It's an excuse to get out and see people and it breaks up the day.

Also, if I know the weather won't be nice enough for the park, I invite a few other moms to come in the afternoon and bring something for seudah shlishit (a pot luck so I don't have to make everything) and the kids play and the moms chat.

Liba

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 7:24 pm
I didn't read any of this, I am just posting because I found it incredibly amusing to find this question under the shaitel and tichel category.

Maybe shaitels and tichels would do the trick. Smile Give them a bunch and let them have fun.

Raisin

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 8:39 pm
torahtots, clearly the OP lives in a place without an eruv or nice weather in feburary. Most of your suggestions ar not really applicable.

saw50st8

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:09 pm
We do a lot of book reading, block playing and train building.

How old are your kids and what gender?

Also, I give them a snack around an hour before DH gets home from shul, if we don't go.

soldat

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:22 pm
put aside special toys and games especialy for shabbos

Blue jay

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:42 pm
Op.

I totally empathize! My kids are bored too! Its especially tough in the winter.So far I like Soldats idea, I wish though I could bring my kids to shul at this point,,, but its too cold!

Please keep the ideas coming!

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 9:48 pm
I hope all the ideas work for you. Here's a helpful thought: believe it or not, THEY will have very fond feelings for and memories of Shabbos - the food, the camaraderie, the games, the atmosphere you provide.
How you get through this? Can't help you. My hat's (figuratively) off to you - I don't have boys in a row, always had a girl or two in between, and I've seen how...lebedik this can get.

Iluvmykids

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 10:02 pm
I find the Mitzva Race card game keeps my kids busy for hours, especially if I play with them. They are available with free shipping in the US from www.miztvarace.com, they are also available in Eichlers, hechts, judaica World and other stores. It is an investment you won't regret.

granolamom

Post Sat, Feb 26 2011, 11:00 pm
we have morning shabbos party about an hr after dh leaves. really breaks up the morning.

my kids love playing with dress up clothes and/or blankets and pillows. drives me crazy with the mess, but keeps them busy/happy.

Miri1

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 1:29 am
I try to make a trip to the library with my boys toward the end of the week. At some point on Shabbos we have "book party". I find it refreshing with all the new books (and we take out a bunch, like 15 - 20 books).

rovacat

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 3:15 am
shabbos is really challenging for me also.
every week I ask my kids which treats they want, and I really go all out. they have their favorite breakfast, and treats scatter throughout the day to keep them busy and happy. my dd usually prepares a big shabbos party- she sets it up, serves it, etc. that takes time.
I also have special games that we only take down on shabbos, and I always try to invite friends over if possible. and when they really start goign crazy, we go to the park.
I also ask dh to take one kids to shul every now and them so it separates the kids from each other.
having guests for the meals also helps. good luck!!

bh

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 3:20 am
Lots of board games, card games, lego, clics, books... Just age appropriate.

bh

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 3:21 am
And dress up, with sheitels and tichels Smile

torahtots

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 4:20 am
Sorry, I know it's cold but it didn't occur to me that you might not have an eiruv so can't go out with a stroller or that your shul might be far. Oh how quickly we forget the "good old days" when we live in Eretz Yisrael.

As kids we used to make forts by hanging blanket over the dining room chairs. Then we'd play, eat, read stories, etc in there.

I highly recommend a wooden train set, my kids play with it for hours.

Can you set up your own little shul and do a little davening, parsha story and kiddush (grape juice and a cookie)? Give the kids talleisim (or fake talleisim) and siddurim, let one be the rabbi, have someone take out the torah, etc.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 4:21 am
Beyond dress up, encourage them to spend a lot of time creating original plays and puppet shows, which they will perform for you after they practice for an hour or two in their rooms - and they have to prepare a comfy spot where you will sit, like on the couch with your feet propped up and a drink at your side. Then all you have to do is space out and focus in their general direction.

Of course, there will be a lot of cleanup to do afterwards!

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 4:34 am
I don't know how old your kids are, but here is what I do:

My dh bought my kids these little silver bechers for 20 shekel and they reaaallllyyyy look forward to using them. So that is how we start off our day.

Dh goes to shul, kids get up, I get everyone dressed and then we daven together (I daven brachos). We set up the little kiddie table with a white tablecloth and the bechers and I pour them a tiny little bit of grape juice. I make kiddush for myself while they "make kiddush" and then we have a Shabbos party. I have my coffee and maybe cookies or cereal, and they get their special Shabbos breakfast; Leben with strawberry jelly and sprinkles, and a little chocolate milk and a cookie. This whole process is very exciting for them and it takes a much longer time than it sounds, since it involves all the prep as well.

After that, they play for a bit or we read books and then they "help" me set the table. If there is still a lot of time, sometimes we will go to meet dh outside shul (weather permitting as well) or we'll go hang out by a neighbor for a bit.

When we do play games, we do a lot of creative things; I'll challenge my 3 year old to make a beis hamikdash out of legos - that keeps him entertained for a loooong time. Or I'll send them "shopping" around the house to find things: "Can you please buy me a pink bottle that might be under dd's crib?" or "I need some tomatoes for the salad. Do you think you could pick some up for me? They might be in the kitchen." etc.

Again, not knowing your boy's ages, I have no idea if this will work for them or not. But this is what we started doing a few months ago and it has made my Shabbos SO much more peaceful and pleasant.

Hatzlacha!

nechami1

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 5:11 am
hi, me again. I wrote this question- yes it was a mistake tht it was written in sheitels and tichels, I am new at this website so trying to figure it out! So it came up in the wrong category.
also, there is no eruv where I live, I have a baby of 16 mths who cant walk far, and its usully raining! So parks are out! Sounds like I have a dozen kids the way I sound, eh, no only 2 boys and one girl. But the boys get bored, there are no shabbos groups etc near me, my oldest doesnt like going to shul, and I dont wanna push it. we do play games, but jumping on the sofa is much more fun than sitting calmly reading or playing. thanks for all ur suggestions!

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 7:07 am
So then what about relay races? Or maybe an obstacle course?

nechami1

Post Sun, Feb 27 2011, 7:36 am
Thanks again for all your great ideas. Food for thought.... I will implement some this coming Shabbos IYH........... Wink
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels