Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Insurance claim....a shul

amother

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 11:27 pm
My son was injured in our shul over Shabbos. We have a very high deductible with our insurance company and will never be reimbursed for drs visits which may cost us thousands of dollars. I f we file a claim with the shuls insurance will their insurance go up? We really dont want to cause the shul any financial tzoras we would walk away before doing that. However, if it wouldn't cost them anything it would really help us.

Depressed

Post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 11:46 pm
I think you would need to ask the insurance company that question. Unless you are telling us the name of the shul and who they have their policy with. and your question is do any of the imamothers work as the adjuster for the insurance firm.

As far as I know, I dont think any of us have ruach hakodesh..

amother

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 12:57 am
Not sure where you live or if you can speak to the shul's insurance broker (hopefully frum and understanding), but you need to find out a few things. First, the shul's policy probably covers $5k in medical expenses, which means medical bills paid, no lawsuit needed. In that case, the claim may be simple open and shut and while their insurance will go up, it shouldn't skyrocket. If, however, they have had prior claims, or if you need to sue (they probably have a $1,000,000 liability limit) then their insurance carrier will probably nonrenew, basically kick them off at the end of the year. An open (ongoing) liability claim on the shul's record will not make it easy for them to get replacement coverage and it will definitely be more expensive. If it isn't a very large claim, though, it may very well be worth it. Try to speak to their broker or yours to weigh your options. Once the claim is reported to the carrier it will go on their record. See if their broker or yours will discuss it with you off the record first. BTW, I am a licensed insurance broker but don't generally handle claims in my office. Good luck!

aidelmaidel

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 6:47 am
I don't know what type of injury your son has and whose fault it was.

If your child was unsupervised and he climbed out a window and fell, then who is responsible? The shul or the adult in charge of him? (I don't know, just playing devil's advocate)

If your child was taking part in a shul supervised project and somehow just got hurt by accident I would think the shul is responsible.

And I agree with the previous poster who said a claim is less "damage" then a lawsuit.

Refuah shalaima to your child! And this is why I tell people to avoid high deductible plans if they have a choice.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 29 2011, 10:40 am
It may not cost them anything right now, but when they renew, it might cost them more. You can't know the future.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics