Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
No Margarine Cakes

girliesmommy

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 3:41 pm
Does anyone have any recipes for good (simple) cakes that use oil instead of marg? I can get marg here, but it is a lot more expensive than oil, so I try to avoid it when possible.

I've been making the Classic Chocolate Cake from the Spice & Spirit - it's really good... but getting boring!

micki

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 3:46 pm
you can subsitute oil for marg. in ANY cake. we never use marg. for health reasons and I've been doing this for always. if it says 1 cup arg. I put 1 cup oil. sometimes I put a little less- but generally equll sub.

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 3:47 pm
the Spice and Spirit has many cakes that use oil and not margarine. if not, then I always substitute it and comes out great! two of my favorite cakes: basic white cake and drizzled marble cake

Rivka

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 5:30 pm
Yes when using Marge in cakes my mum would melt the marge...she might as well have used oil. I use oil only coz I am so lazy I can';t be bothered melting the marge. Plus as Micki said it's healthier.

Tefila

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 5:55 pm
I heard too Margerine and shortening is terrible for you! So now I use oil even for my cookie dough and though the taste is slightly diff one can get used to it. And my family doesn't even know the diff Wink

gryp

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 6:26 pm
you can also use much less oil in general in cake/cookie recipes. I always lessen the amount and it comes out the same. ie, instead of 1 cup oil I put in 3/4 cup.

rydys

Post Thu, Mar 10 2005, 8:29 pm
My kids call this "chocolate mayonaise cake"

Chocolate Fudge Cake
Ingredients
2 cups flour
1½ tsp baking soda
4 Tbsp cocoa
1 cup sugar
1½tsp baking powder

1 cup cold water
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tsp vanilla
Method
1. place flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a mixing bowl
2. in a separate bowl mix together thoroughly water mayonnaise and vanilla.
3. add mayonnaise mixture all at once into flour and sugar and mix well
4. bake in a square pan for 35 mins @ 350

sarahd

Post Fri, Mar 11 2005, 10:51 am
You can usually substitute oil for margarine in a cake (better not to in cookie or pie doughs, because they'll become tought) but you should use only 2/3 the amount of oil eg. replace 1 cup margarine with 2/3 c. oil.

The Heimeshe Kitchen cookbooks have plenty of non-margarine cakes.

Here's a great all-purpose cake that doesn't call for margarine, and you can vary the flavoring to suit your mood.

Chiffon Cake

7 eggs, separated
1 ½ c. sugar
½ c. oil
1 ½ c. flour
½ c. liquid (orange juice, water)
4 tsp. baking powder
1 vanilla sugar

Make a snow with the egg whites and add 1/2 c. of the sugar. Set aside. Beat yolks with remaining sugar, add oil, beat till light yellow. Add rest of ingredients. Fold in egg whites, pour into tube pan. Bake at 350° till done. Invert pan until cake is cool.

Variations:

Coffee – 3 heaping T. coffee dissolved in liquid
Lemon – grind one lemon, use lemon juice for liquid

Use your imagination - you can make this into a cinnamon cake, chocolate, coconut, whatever you want!

Rivka

Post Sun, Mar 13 2005, 7:24 pm
mayonnaise in cake??? I don't think I would like to try that...

sarahd

Post Mon, Mar 14 2005, 3:59 am
The mayonnaise is there to replace the eggs and oil, since if you think about it, that's what mayonnaise is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins