Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Posting One's Pregnancy Test PICTURE on Facebook???
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 5:53 pm
amother wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
There is a subset of people who share everything on facebook (went to the bathroom this morning, had 2 bowel movements and 3 cc of urine! Ate 1/4 cup oatmeal with applesauce for breakfast. Excersized for 17 minutes! Yay! Oh and I think I'm making a salad for lunch - any thoughts on that?)

hee hee you sound like my sisters and I - we cant stand when people share the FULL details of their day

These are usually the kind of ppl that are ultra lonely and don't have whom to share their life with.

Other's (like me....) have husbands that have to listen to all our silly details of the day.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 10:45 pm
I posted a picture of my pregnancy test on my blog in 2008 when I announcd the news when I was five months along... but only the big window part with the word PREGNANT!!!! I thought it was cool and shticky. not the testing part of it, jsut the result part!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 1:53 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
saw50st8 wrote:
There is a subset of people who share everything on facebook (went to the bathroom this morning, had 2 bowel movements and 3 cc of urine! Ate 1/4 cup oatmeal with applesauce for breakfast. Excersized for 17 minutes! Yay! Oh and I think I'm making a salad for lunch - any thoughts on that?)

hee hee you sound like my sisters and I - we cant stand when people share the FULL details of their day

These are usually the kind of ppl that are ultra lonely and don't have whom to share their life with.

Other's (like me....) have husbands that have to listen to all our silly details of the day.
That is not always the case. I have two friends who are very outspoken, outgoing, have tons of friends, type of gals and they are not lonely people, but they post everything about their days. who knows? some people just like that.

invisiblecircus

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 4:02 am
ora_43 wrote:
I've seen it done on non-Jewish parenting boards.

That's a bit different though because I think a lot of people on those boards don't tell til three months are up but they're excited and desperate to tell SOMEONE so they tell a bunch of anonymous women they don't know.

I'm not keen on the FB announcements myself but I guess if someone wants to do that then that's their choice. I would not be offended unless it was a close relative.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 10:02 am
I have seen a picture of a couple posing together with their positive POAS.

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 10:11 am
I have some frum friends who posted the positive test as their way of "telling" people that they were expecting, but they waited until 3 months (at least) had passed to do it.

I myself didn't do that and I didnt post ultrasound pics, but I did spend a good part of the first 3 months of my twin pregnancy thinking of a "cute" way to post it on FB.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 8:53 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Sorry, but I had to comment on that line. I have fertility issues (cant get pregnant on my own) and I would not find this to be insensitive at all.
If the whole world did not do, say, write things that have to do with pregnancy just because someone out there would feel hurt because of IF, then a lot of things would not be done, said or written.
I just think that it is this woman's choice. She should not have to think of the women out there with IF (myself included in that group of women)

I agree with you and I've never been pregnant.

Sure I feel a bit sorry for myself when yet another person announces their pregnancy but I am happy for them at the same time and I know that if it ever happened to me I would not want to hide the news from the world (although I would never post it on FB.)

Should a girl not announce her engagement in case a single girl sees the announcement?

ewa-jo

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 9:09 am
I have a (dati) friend who is pregnant after several years of infertility (B"H) and apparently it's more of a thing to do on TTC message boards... she posted pics of her POAS tests in an online photo album for her message board friends (she did a bunch of them.. the first one to see the line and then another one every day for the next few days to see the color getting darker, so she knew her hcg levels were rising)... she hasn't posted anything on Facebook yet. I think it's easier to be uninhibited with online friends than with real friends.

This is what I do when I'm pregnant... I hide. I wear control-top tights and try to disguise with clothes that make me look slim. I only take photos holding a child or a cat in my lap. It works for a while anyways...

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 9:20 am
Ok, so an update: This girl also told her entire "network" of her job. And she recently joined. So it opens up a whole set of issues there. I just think maybe it should be done after the three months, not after three weeks! And just the display part! I think there's a cute way to share. I was just taken aback at the way this was done. But I should also say that I'm taken aback at the way this person has done many things!!

zaq

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 12:57 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
I clicked over to Facebook this morning, and on one of my friend (non-Jewish, though that doesn't really matter I guess)'s mobile uploads was her positive pregnancy test result!

I was floored. I'm not Miss Manners or anything, but is this something people do? Not only is it insensitive to those TTC, but it's also showing a pee test, and also, the first few months of pregnancy are a very sensitive time with risk. Oy vey. Is it just me, or is this very gauche?

(And of course, the comments are rolling in from both men and women with congratulatory remarks, but then her brother in law said something crude-"BAM!".) I don't know. In the same vein, are posting the ultrasound pix ok?

IMO--keeping in mind that I have been called rigid, archaic, stuck in the mud, lacking in humor and other choice expressions--publicizing one's medical information is in very poor taste. Not actually offensive in the way posting suggestive pictures is offensive, but just tacky. I wouldn't worry about its being "a sensitive time"--if a woman is publishing a pic of her pee stick or an unltrasound, she's clearly not the sensitive type and we need not be concerned about her sensibilities. But it's a little like going to the mall with curlers in your hair: neither illegal nor morally wrong, but decidedly declasse.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 1:09 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
Ok, so an update: This girl also told her entire "network" of her job. And she recently joined. So it opens up a whole set of issues there. I just think maybe it should be done after the three months, not after three weeks! And just the display part! I think there's a cute way to share. I was just taken aback at the way this was done. But I should also say that I'm taken aback at the way this person has done many things!!

I told my manager and general manager that I was pregnant (with my first) before I told my mother. I was 6 weeks pregnant and they were about to make a really important decision about a project I was working on. They were very appreciative when I told them because my work directly affected that project.

(I was also really sick already at that point and needed some understanding :-))

But to tell your entire work network? Are they a small company or something?

Yocheved84

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 1:57 pm
[quote="saw50st8"]
Yocheved84 wrote:

But to tell your entire work network? Are they a small company or something?

She has a job that can be done from home, but the company has a Facebook network (most companies can have this now), so since she has her work e-mail address on her profile, and has the same account for work and personal life, and doesn't change the settings on who sees what, she decided to tell the world.

I don't know. Zey gezunt, right? Smile

We should all be so blessed to have the "problem" of deciding who to tell, when, and how!

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 5:33 pm
...and it should be our biggest problems Very Happy

amother

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 5:45 pm
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Sorry, but I had to comment on that line. I have fertility issues (cant get pregnant on my own) and I would not find this to be insensitive at all.
If the whole world did not do, say, write things that have to do with pregnancy just because someone out there would feel hurt because of IF, then a lot of things would not be done, said or written.
I just think that it is this woman's choice. She should not have to think of the women out there with IF (myself included in that group of women)

Sure I feel a bit sorry for myself when yet another person announces their pregnancy but I am happy for them at the same time and I know that if it ever happened to me I would not want to hide the news from the world (although I would never post it on FB.)

Should a girl not announce her engagement in case a single girl sees the announcement?

There is a huge difference to saying' I am pregnant' and to posting such a picture. First one is ok, if the poster doesn't mind. Second is Puke

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Apr 11 2011, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
amother wrote:
shabbatiscoming wrote:

There is a huge difference to saying' I am pregnant' and to posting such a picture. First one is ok, if the poster doesn't mind. Second is Puke
it might be gross but in terms of IF, I, personally, do not have a problem with the POAS picture. I think its weird in general, not specifically to IF.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette