Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
New widow neighbor smoking up the building wwyd?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 8:55 pm
The entire floor of the apartment building stinks and so do some parts of the building. I didn't want to say anything since neighbor who is my moms freind, dad just passed away and her mom moved in. I don't know how bad the smoking is for us. We pass by every day and my baby has to smell it and when I open my window the smell comes in. Now her upstairs neighbors are having a really hard time and want everyone that is suffering from it to sighn a letter so the landlord can show it to her. I really am upset aabout it but I don't know if it's right . She is greiving her dad. What do you think?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 8:58 pm
sign the letter.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 8:58 pm
whats the law? and whats the rules of the lease? If neither prohibits or limits smoking, there is not much you can do

iluvy

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:02 pm
I don't think you should sign the letter, I think you should tell the complainers you will say something to her yourself. If you are her friend, it will be much nicer for her to hear it from you than from a complaint letter to the landlord.

life'sgreat

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 9:02 pm
I don't think the fact that she's grieving should come into the equation at all. If it's not allowed in your building, it isn't allowed, grieving or not.

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Apr 06 2011, 11:21 pm
I don't know where you live but in NY it is illegal to smoke in buildings

tell her to smoke outside.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 02 2015, 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raizle

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 12:50 am
she might be grieving but that's not a reason for you to allow your health and your baby's health to be compromised.

I suggest before signing the letter, as a friend you talk to her about it.
Is she even aware that the neighbors are all upset?
If she is and doesn't care, then sign the letter.
Compassion and understanding has it's limits.

bnm

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 1:12 am
if it bothers you even one tiny bit then complain.... I deal with this all the time, live in a building with 12 families, I think 3 of the husbands smoke. I complained to the wife of the one that smokes the most often, (he is out of a steady job) that he can't smoke under my window, he ignored me once or twice. I then vomited from him once and told her he will have to clean it up the next time (now I'm thinking it was a bit infantile but too bad) it worked. now when he sees me coming he runs around the corner. the one that bothered me the most was the guy who smokes while putting his kid on the slide, if you want to kill yourself go right ahead, please don't kill your kid too.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette