Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Sing Me Home (Jodi Picoult's newest)
1  2  Next

Tova

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 3:58 pm
Anyone read it yet? I got it from the library earlier in the week and I am about half way through. It's more graphic/crass/vulgar than her other books, I was disappointed to find out, and not only because it deals with homosexuality. It's not a book I wish to own (I do own some of her others) or could even see re-reading, and that's saying a lot for me. But...it's Jodi Picoult so it's interesting and very well-written. I can't wait to see what will happen.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 4:02 pm
I love her books but I have avoided this one because its just not an interesting topic to me. I would love to know what you think.

sv9506

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 4:08 pm
I have not read it yet and am seriously considering not reading it. I would like to hear what you think about it. I am a big fan of hers and have a few of her books at home so I was very excited to hear that she came out with a new book. However once I heard what she wrote about the book I am not sure that I want to read it. My problem is that based on her description it is very clear (she even explicitly states where her feelings lie) that she is very anti anybody being anti-gay marriage/adoption etc. The ex-husband has to be some zealot (or at least follows a pastor like this), why can't he just be a regular guy who does not agree with homosexuality. I don't know the ending but it is clear that Jodi thinks that the ex husband should be okay with having his ex wife raise their baby with her new female partner. That we need to be tolerant, but more than tolerant - like fully accepting of the homosexual. Well what about the same tolerance if the ex husband gets remarried and wants to raise their baby with his new wife and with the ideas that homosexuality is wrong? Does she advocate tolerance there? Probably not! Which is the thing that bothers me - if she just brought this up as an interesting book and made people think then I wouldnt have a problem with it - it is the one-sided tolerance that I have a problem with.

Anyway - I would love to hear what you say and possibly change my mind and read the book!

Isramom8

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 5:12 pm
It's a shame that she turned to coarser writing for this novel. She is such a good writer that she can avoid that. And in her previous novels, she leaves the reader with a conflict about what is right. She is so good at that - why the sudden need to take a clear side?

I'm hooked so I'd probably at least glance at it, and if it's not to my taste I hope I will put it down.

My favorites in order:
Handle With Care
House Rules
Plain Truth
These were amazing books, superbly written.

Other books of hers were, in my opinion, not so well written or enjoyable.

rachelbg

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 6:47 pm
I think she writes beautifully, and I thoroughly enjoy reading her books, even though hashkafically her books an language do not fit into my lifestyle in any way.
The one I enjoyed best was The Perfect Match, even though the plot was focused on a s-xually abused child. The plot was brilliant, with surprises around each corner. She is a very masterful writer, and it upsets me that her new book has such a disturbing premise. Like, I shouldn't want to read it, but I do anyway since it's her... I find Picoult's books one of those things that I have not been able to give up along with the other pritzus...

Tova

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 6:52 pm
I finished it (I was actually more than half-way done before; only had about 120 pages left) and just feel uch about it. I did not like the ending at all, but I don't want to give anything away. The character I liked best and wanted most to get what she wanted was Liddy, Max' brother Reid's wife. I really had little to no sympathy for Max or Zoe. Vanessa really annoyed me. Oh gosh - hard to discuss without giving away spoilers.

MidwestMommy

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 7:47 pm
Another big fan of Jodi Picoult here! I've read all of her books except this new one. I'm also skeptical about the content of "Sing You Home," and I'd be curious to hear what others think about it before I go ahead and read it. I'm with rachelbg- "Perfect Match" is also my favorite, although several others come quite close. I enjoy her writing style very much and I have no idea how she manages to churn out a new book every year!

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 8:56 pm
Tova, use spoiler tags. [spoiler] do [ spoiler ] (remove spaces). then [ /spoiler ] [/spoiler]

Tova

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:15 pm
Yeah, but I guess I more just want to have a conversation about it. Guess I'll wait 'til this book becomes more "stale." So far no responses from anyone that actually read it! On her website while discussing the book Jodi says that her son "came out of the closet" and that it is not a grey issue for her but not everyone has acceptance from family members like her son does. Also, I have some questions now, not about the book but the topic at large. If anyone has some knowlege about this subject and is open to me asking some candid questions over PM please let me know.

Barbara

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:18 pm
I've read quite a few of Picoult's books, but don't have the same high opinion as many of you. I find her to be the M Night Shyamalan of novels. While she thinks she's being provocative or surprising, she's really being fomulaic. Sometimes, I think that she does it because she can't think of a genuine ending that flows from the plot. Having written herself into a corner she can't get out of, she throws in an AHA.

So why did I download this book? I was in the bus, and couldn't find anything else I wanted to download at that moment.

I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed this book. Were the characterizations realistic? Probably not. Were the scenes in the second half of the book genuine? Definitely not. Did the second couple make any sense to me? No. But I still found the story compelling.

I cannot imagine that anyone could not sympathize with Zoe. Whatever one thinks of lesbians, how can anyone not sympathize with a woman who has suffered for years from infertility, and may lose her only chance to have a child who is biologically hers.

Hidden: 

If Reid and Liddy wanted a child so much, why didn't they undergo IVF the way that Max and Zoe did? And why did they think that Liddy would be able to carry one of these fetuses to term when she miscarried her own?

Tova

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:43 pm
Barbara,

Hidden: 

I think because as devout Christians they cannot undergo IVF...because it is a loss of potential life at the cellular levels. At the sperm and egg stage, embryo stage, etc. inevitably there is loss. That was how I understood it at least. But once these embryos were already created, they could implant them. My question was, if Reid was so wealthy why he couldn't just pay to buy another couple's embryos (they call it embryo adoption) who were done with their efforts. Good point about the fact that Liddy probrably has a high risk of miscarrying.

But I don't understand the end - what happened to Reid? Are we left to wonder? Why did Liddy tell Samantha that maybe she will marry Max? I really don't get this part.

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:44 pm
ooops. it obviously didnt work....

Tova

Post Thu, Apr 07 2011, 9:49 pm
Oh, and we don't know:

Hidden: 

What was Father Clive's reaction when Max gave the papers to Zoe giving her authority over the embryos? Did he bring up the alleged molestation with his step-daughter Lucy as a total fabrication in order to sway the court case?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:16 am
Is that one of her Yushke books? I was really disappointed.

Barbara

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:54 am
Tova wrote:
Barbara,

Hidden: 

I think because as devout Christians they cannot undergo IVF...because it is a loss of potential life at the cellular levels. At the sperm and egg stage, embryo stage, etc. inevitably there is loss. That was how I understood it at least. But once these embryos were already created, they could implant them. My question was, if Reid was so wealthy why he couldn't just pay to buy another couple's embryos (they call it embryo adoption) who were done with their efforts. Good point about the fact that Liddy probrably has a high risk of miscarrying.

But I don't understand the end - what happened to Reid? Are we left to wonder? Why did Liddy tell Samantha that maybe she will marry Max? I really don't get this part.
Hidden: 

I think that Liddy and Reid were very different people. Even in terms of religion. I loved Liddy's comments on Jezus saying to love everyone, not just the people with whom we agree. I don't think that Judaism agrees, but I do think its a lovely sentiment of acceptance. In the end, Liddy encouraged Max to give the embryos to Zoe, to do the right thing. I assume that Liddy grew beyond Reid and his worldview, and they divorced.

I wouldn't have gotten the limitations of right wing Christians re IVF, though. Thanks.

I though the court scenes were ridiculous. No court would have allowed Max's attorney to spout Chrisitan rhetoric. And Angela was so ill-prepared I wanted to throttle her. Any investigation would have uncovered that Max was drinking. And not to have read the clinic's file? Oyyy.

Barbara

Post Fri, Apr 08 2011, 10:56 am
Tova wrote:
Oh, and we don't know:

Hidden: 

What was Father Clive's reaction when Max gave the papers to Zoe giving her authority over the embryos? Did he bring up the alleged molestation with his step-daughter Lucy as a total fabrication in order to sway the court case?

Hidden: 

He signed a confidentiality agreement, so he couldn't raise the issue. And, of course, it nevere happened. Even Max didn't believe it happened. It was fabricated. Once the court case ended, he wouldn't have had any reason to raise it again.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:23 pm
Well, this book is better than I hoped, and so far (100 pages in) not even about a lesbian relationship.
I was so moved by this sensitive IVF scene (warning, mature content):

Hidden: 

When the man had to contribute a sperm sample, and was led into this room with magazines and videos for visuals. In the end he just closed his eyes and thought of his wife. Which is so poignant, and I think what halacha recommends/requires if a couple has to do things that way.

I totally cried.

Although I will try to save the rest for after Yom Kippur. Not the holiest book in my possession, although Jodi deals with issues in a sensitive way.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 7:31 pm
This book is better than I thought it would be, and so far (100 pages in) not even much lesbian. I was moved by this IVF scene (warning: mature content):

Hidden: 

When the man had to contribute a sample, and was led into a room with magazines and videos for visuals. In the end he just closed his eyes and thought of his wife. Which is poignant, and also what I read halacha recommends/requires if a couple has to do things that way (and I understand there may be other, better options).

Totally cried.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Oct 05 2011, 1:23 am
Only the Roman Catholics are against IVF. My older son's very Italian Occupational therapist got married late in life, over age 40,and refused to do anything beyond the 'normal' because her religion frowned on it...

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Nov 20 2011, 1:48 am
I just finished reading the book and was a bit dissapointed. it did keep me busy over shabbos but ive read better stuff from her. now im stuck with it cuz I bought it. anyone who wants it..... kol hakavod.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room