Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
History of the sing song voice

ewwpeas20

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:10 am
Asking respectfully as I possibly can without hurting anyone’s feelings. I notice it in certain communities and I’m wondering where does it come from? There is a certain tune with every word or every other word with a certain rhythm. Can anyone enlighten me?

sushilover

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:12 am
You can hear it in many dialects of British English too. There's a tune to the words.

I'm assuming many counties and languages have their own sing song.

RN613

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:32 am
Are you talking about the cadence that you often hear in yeshivish communities?

My friends and I used to make fun of people who spoke that way (particularly teachers)... now we find ourselves doing it! (Although we still make fun of each other.)

I don't know where It comes from but I have always wondered too.

ewwpeas20

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:38 am
sushilover wrote:
You can hear it in many dialects of British English too. There's a tune to the words.

I'm assuming many counties and languages have their own sing song.

Very true. I haven’t thought of that. What’s the case with Yiddish? Was it always spoken like that?

ewwpeas20

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:38 am
RN613 wrote:
Are you talking about the cadence that you often hear in yeshivish communities?

My friends and I used to make fun of people who spoke that way (particularly teachers)... now we find ourselves doing it! (Although we still make fun of each other.)

I don't know where It comes from but I have always wondered too.

Yes, and in chassidish communities too.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:57 am
Every community has its own, no? In fact, I've heard that in some languages (I believe maybe mandarin, but not sure) the "tune" can even change the meaning.

WhatFor

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 11:59 am
ewwpeas20 wrote:
Yes, and in chassidish communities too.

Are these yeshivish/chassidish communities globally or yeshivish/chassidish communities in a particular area?

WhatFor

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:02 pm
ewwpeas20 wrote:
Very true. I haven’t thought of that. What’s the case with Yiddish? Was it always spoken like that?

Wait spoken like what? Chassidish and yeshivish Yiddish is quite different.

Also, just another obvious example of a local "tune", my DH can't stand the "valley girl" cadence (which I don't even notice, but apparently I don't have, luckily for him, I guess.)

mommyla

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:08 pm
WhatFor wrote:
Every community has its own, no? In fact, I've heard that in some languages (I believe maybe mandarin, but not sure) the "tune" can even change the meaning.

Yes, this is why many Asian kids have perfect pitch.

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 12:11 pm
We all have a certain “tune” when we speak English, or French, or whatever language we speak. We just don’t notice, but we certainly notice when it’s altered from the usual. If you’re American, think about how jarring it is to hear the British “chicken SOUP.”

Read aloud this excerpt from Tennyson’s Locksley Hall. Observe the rhythm, the cadence.

Then her cheek was pale and thinner than should be for one so young,
And her eyes on all my motions with a mute observance hung.

And I said, "My cousin Amy, speak, and speak the truth to me,
Trust me, cousin, all the current of my being sets to thee."

And she turn'd—her bosom shaken with a sudden storm of sighs—
All the spirit deeply dawning in the dark of hazel eyes—

zaq

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 1:12 pm
It's called an "intonation" and every community has its own. Some change pitch more noticeably than others, while some are more of a monotone.

Unless you're talking about uptalk? You know, when every sentence ends with a question mark? Even if the person isn't asking a question? That's a newish thing? It started with young people, notably Valley Girls? And then spread like lice even to adults?

Einikel

Post Sun, Sep 03 2023, 1:15 pm
zaq wrote:
It's called an "intonation" and every community has its own. Some change pitch more noticeably than others, while some are more of a monotone.

Unless you're talking about uptalk? You know, when every sentence ends with a question mark? Even if the person isn't asking a question? That's a newish thing? It started with young people, notably Valley Girls? And then spread like lice even to adults?

Laugh
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics