Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Soy, Milk and Egg Allergy Diagnoses

allrgymama

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 2:16 pm
My sister's best friend just had her 6 month old daughter diagnosed with soy, milk and egg allergies.

My sister has already told me to expect a call from her friend for help and recipes. The help I can give but recipes? My daughter survives on soy. Unless I'm making it from scratch (and possibly, even then), it definitely has soy in it.

So. Anyone else coping with these allergies have any suggestions for me to pass on? Or, when you deal with a soy allergy, do you HAVE to make everything from scratch?

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 2:25 pm
I don't deal with soy allergies, but I also rarely use products with soy due to health reasons. Instead of coming up with "fake" versions of foods that are not allowed, I just stick to what IS allowed.

I think those 3 allergens are relatively easy to avoid for a 1-year-old. Give lots of soups; lean meat, chicken, beans and fish for protein; any form of veggies- sauteed, grilled, roasted, whatever; whole grain crackers, brown rice, pasta; fruits. Most foods are allowed. The only way I can see soy being an issue is if you use a lot of processed foods, which aren't healthy anyway. If you stick to healthful, raw ingredients, it shouldn't interfere that much.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 2:35 pm
My daughter can't have soy or milk. We mostly do fleishigs at home.

For Parve:

We do a pineapple "cheesecake". See if the eggs can be replaced with the flax substitute.

Tuna pizza (although dd doesn't know there's tuna under there) with a layer or sauce, then flaked chunk light tuna, and then rice cheese or pea cheese. (There is no protein in the cheese substitutes, which is why I add tuna.)

Vegan Rella rice cheese
http://allergyfoodie.com/2009/.....ella/

Daiya pea cheese
http://www.daiyafoods.com/

Vegan Mayo
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....reamy

Pasta and sauce.

What types of recipes is she looking for? Maybe we can help.

allrgymama

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 4:55 pm
@MaBelleVie: I corrected my post; I thought the baby was older but is only about 6 months. I'm not sure what she's nervous about at this stage since her baby would just be transitioning from baby food to grown up foods altogether. She's still on bottles. It's not such an issue yet.

That being said, for myself, I use a lot of store-bought products for DD that include soy and while I do try to prepare home-made meals for her, she usually gets store-bought fish sticks for lunch and, when I haven't made supper, some kind of store-bought chicken nuggets.

@ra_mom: I'm still waiting for her to call, but as soon as I have a more specific idea, I'll update the post.

I actually recently tried a bag of the Daiya 'cheese' for DD. Did NOT go over well. I'm almost sure it smells worse than the Toffuti sliced cheese. Your kids eat it happily?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 9:09 pm
allrgymama wrote:
@ra_mom: I'm still waiting for her to call, but as soon as I have a more specific idea, I'll update the post.
I actually recently tried a bag of the Daiya 'cheese' for DD. Did NOT go over well. I'm almost sure it smells worse than the Toffuti sliced cheese. Your kids eat it happily?

All the imitation cheeses smell. I think Daiya cheese tastes better than Tofutti.
Vegan Rella melts better, but it's a pain to grate the block.
My daughter likes noshing on the Daiya cheese plain.
I think a combination is best.

SaraFR

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 9:19 pm
We have dairy and soy sensitivities (and I'm off them too because I'm nursing her). I do mostly make stuff at home. It's shocking how much has soy in it. A quick and easy answer is stock up now before the Pesach stuff gets sold. Anything saying vegetable oil is probably soy. Anything with mayo is probably soy. Any lechitin is probably soy. Should I continue?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 9:22 pm
Btw, all baked goods, breads, challahs from the bakeries in my area... use soy oil since it's the cheapest.

Mommastuff

Post Thu, May 05 2011, 10:11 pm
Did anyone try this site?:
kosher allergy free foods

allrgymama

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 1:31 pm
@Mommastuff: I'll be sure to recommend it!

Also, just wanted to clarify: I spoke with the girl and it seems that not only is the baby allergic to eggs, milk and and soy, but also to chicken and fish. The allergy is, though, minor, at only a two and, from what they can tell, the only 'symptoms' or reactions the baby is having eczema-related.

As an allergy mama, that makes me feel much better for her. Personally, the day my DD was diagnosed and prescribed her Epipen was one of the scariest and most overwhelming days of my life.

They are, though, still going in for further testing to see if there's anything else she's allergic to.

Her allergist, for what it's worth, is Doctor Gelley or Gilley or something like that? Someone in Brooklyn. Does anyone know who I'm talking about and if he's any good?

She's particularly looking for breakfast/lunch suggestions since she doesn't want to feed her baby beef and potatoes three times a day every day.

The only thing I could recommend was coconut pancakes, coconut yogurt and nut puddings (pending a negative test result).

Anyone have other suggestions?

drumjj

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 2:52 pm
my daughter is intolerant to milk and soy and everything that is processed has soy in it unless its kosher for pesach, I buy a lot of stuff at pesach time because soy is kitniyot. so I would tell her to see if there is any pesach stuff left on the shelves and buy it up. even pesach cereal. my daughter isnt a breakfast person because until recently she was also off gluten.
by the way for those that have kids off dairy and soy what milk substitute do u use. because I was told not to use rice milk

saw50st8

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 2:59 pm
fruit purees - can be bulked up with flax seed, sesame paste and all sorts of things. For smoothies, use rice milk.

oatmeal (my niece whos allergic to a ton of things eats a lot of this)

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 5:11 pm
Is it smallbean whose child has similar allergies? You should PM her.

elmos

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 5:46 pm
I deal with soy and dairy basically make everything from scratch but I recently found out that cakeceenter on p and 4th uses only corn oil which means I can buy rye bread or an occasional something.YAY!!!!

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 06 2011, 5:49 pm
elmos wrote:
I deal with soy and dairy basically make everything from scratch but I recently found out that cakeceenter on p and 4th uses only corn oil which means I can buy rye bread or an occasional something.YAY!!!!
Thanks for the info!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics