Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Double bed in guest room??? PLEASE ANSWER NOW

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 4:34 pm
I am arranging a shabbaton for HS students. the students are staying with local families. one of the families says they can put up 2 girls, but they only have a double bed in their guest room.

is this ok? I am having a hard time finding other suitable hosts.

(the students are M.O, if that makes any difference)

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 4:40 pm
amother wrote:
I am arranging a shabbaton for HS students. the students are staying with local families. one of the families says they can put up 2 girls, but they only have a double bed in their guest room.

is this ok? I am having a hard time finding other suitable hosts.

(the students are M.O, if that makes any difference)
Being MO makes no difference. This is not a religious thing. This is a "I am a grown girl, I dont want to share a bed with another girl" thing, at least to my mind. I would not want to share a bed with another girl, its weird to me. At least a double. If it were a king size like in a hotel or something like that, maybe that would be ok, but a double, I think that that is too small to share.

Hashemlovesme

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 4:40 pm
I don't think it's a prob, just give it as an option before, like say I have these places, but 1 is for 2 girls in a double bed.

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 4:41 pm
No, no for sure. Happened to me in camp with bad results:(

Orchid

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 4:45 pm
Ask the girls "are you ok with sharing a double bed?" When we lived in EY and had seminary guests that was our situation (bed leftover by a previous chiloni landlord) and they appreciated being asked.

obagys

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 4:54 pm
As long as the students staying there are told in advance and are ok with it, it shouldn't be problematic. I remember when in seminary I was once placed at someone's house with a friend, and we were given a sofa to share (and it didn't pull out into a bed - it was literally just the sofa!). But it was a good friend of mine and we were able to find the humor in the very cramped situation. Had I been with some girl I didn't know, I would not have been happy with that arrangement at all.

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 6:03 pm
I'm pretty sure the girls know each other, and asked to be placed with each other.

Shabbat, I have NEVER seen a double bed in a chareidi house, except in the parents bedroom. (in this case the hosts are living in a furnished rental house, and they did not pick the furnishing. So while I have stayed in peoples houses many times I have never been offered a double bed.

But I have seen in home magazines and so on that it is completely normal to put one double or queen bed in a guest room. so odd. Unless people only ever have married or romantically involved couples over as guests, wouldn't it make more sense to put 2 singles in a guest room?

My dh was once travelling with a friend and was offered a double bed. He said one of them ended up on the floor.

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 6:26 pm
When we wer in school and went away on an overnight trip, they always placed 4 students in a hotel room with 2 double beds. Most of us had no problem. But I would let the girls know in advance anyway.

amother

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 8:14 pm
Relatives once put up our family with a neighbor who gave us a room with one bed. I don't recall if it was a queen or a double. DH slept in the other room...

zaq

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 9:52 pm
The one time I remember sharing a double bed with a girlfriend, we ended up sleeping on the floor. Not b/c it was a doouble bed but b/c it was a sofabed and lumpier than the Canadian Rockies. The floor was more comfortable!

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 19 2011, 9:54 pm
How old are the kids?

vicki

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 10:18 pm
We've hosted kids for different organizations and families as favors for friends and just tell them the bed situation. One room has two twins (and a crib) and one (my 19 year old son -who wasn't home that weekend-'s room) has a full. We usually assume that one person will sleep on the full and another sleeps on the floor so we lay out several fluffly blankets and/or sleeping bags and pillows.
Years ago when going to a simcha away from home a hostess (frum) asked me whether my dh and I can share a bed for that Shabbat. I was shocked and just nodded stupidly. In reality, we could not, but didn't feel like sharing that so one of us (can't remember who) slept on the floor or something like that. Awkward.
Anyway, as a younger girl (or now) I would NOT be comfortable sharing a bed with another girl. Even a good friend. I need my personal space.

amother

Post Wed, Jun 29 2011, 10:35 pm
I shared beds with friends until we married. If we traveled together, without spouses, today, I'd have no problem doing it.

Last time my high schooler went on a Shabbaton, 3 boys were put up in a house where they were given 1 couch (not pull out, no sheets). They weren't told to bring sleeping bags, and weren't given any. The double bed sounds like luxury accomodations.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics