Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Do I put childcare jobs on a resume for a computer position?

Dev80

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 3:10 pm
The title basically says it all....I've spent my summers since 6th grade and my weeknights during most of middle school and high school babysitting, being a counselor, I was a bnos leader and group leader etc etc...(and I'm only about three years out of hs, so for me this wasn't so long ago...) so, do those jobs go on a resume if I'm applying for a computer position? I have one other side job selling something, so that I would put on because it shows I have people skills and what not, but what do you think about those childcare jobs?

Tia!

Fox

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 3:29 pm
There are two issues when listing jobs on a resume that are unrelated to your job objective:

1. Do you need to list them in order to show how you've been spending time?

Employers are naturally leery when a resume shows long period of time that are unexplained by work or school. In fact, when I used to teach "career development," I told an anecdote about a man who, despite incredible qualifications, was rarely being asked to come for interviews. Some high-placed friends made a few calls and determined the problem: the lower-level employees who were weeding out his resume didn't realize that the "break" in his employment history was because he had been a hostage in the American embassy in Iran for a year-and-a-half!

However, you may choose to condense unrelated employment into a single line or two. Something like, "Summers 2005-2010: Employed as camp counselor, tutor, and caregiver for established camps and schools in the Los Angeles area." You can then fill in the details during interviews or if the employer wants specific names and dates.

And that leads us to the second issue: how to make unrelated job experience relevant!

2. Connecting the dots between child care and computers

Unfortunately, even the smartest employer doesn't have the time to think carefully about what people learn when they do childcare and how that might relate computers. So you have connect the dots for them!

Start by thinking of the skills that are needed for the position you want: if, for example, the position is that of computer programmer, you probably need to be detail-oriented, willing to take responsibility until a program runs successfully, and able to communicate well with professionals such as data analysts, executives, or end-users.

Now think about your childcare experience: what did you do on a regular basis that shows that you are detail-oriented? During your interview, you want to demonstrate how this experience will transfer. You might say something like, "Successful programmers have to be willing to examine details very carefully, and I've had a lot of experience in this area. When I was head counselor at Camp WikiWaki, I was responsible for planning each day's activities for kids ages 9-12. Since children that age don't have long attention spans, that meant that I had to make sure that each activity was not only suited to the physical abilities of the campers, but that no activity lasted longer than appropriate. That meant that each day had to include a total of 22 separate activities, including transitions. Experience with that level of detailed planning makes it easy for me to successfully keep track of all the details required when writing computer code.

Do that for each "skill" you've identified that is needed by your new profession -- I guarantee that employers will see your childcare experience in a whole new light.

Dev80

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 3:38 pm
Wow Fox! Thank you so so much for taking the time to write that explanation for me...I need to write my resume soon and I will most definitely be referring back to what you wrote. I really like that second point, of making everything relavent, I think that will also prepare me for an interview about what things I can bring to the company because I'll have already thought about it for the resume

todah rabah!!

amother

Post Tue, May 24 2011, 7:33 pm
I currently interview candidates for very technical positions that are not entry-level, but I have interviewed candidates for entry-level positions in a previous job. Fox's advice, as usual, is spot on.

Dev80, what is the position you are applying for? For an entry-level position in something like office help, customer support, or help desk I would list a few positions or "generalized description, someyear-2011" and call out the skills and accomplishments that would make you successful in that environment. These are positions where employers expect/are tolerant of candidates being new to the field with not much experience so long as they have the right attitude and are willing to learn. Some of my best employees in these positions had little computer experience when they started.

For positions in programming or design, I would definitely go with a generic description and the one or two most important accomplishments. A list of non-related positions would make you less attractive as a candidate as it comes off as padding your resume. You'll need to highlight your education, projects, and non-paid related experience.

Marion

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 6:57 am
I'd highlight the aspects of those jobs that are generic. If you returned to the same employer/family every summer I'd put that in there...it shows reliability and work ethic (and that the family valued you as an employee).

Basically, I'd put on anything that showed a valuable workplace skill. (In fact, I did. When I applied for my current place of employment I had two relevant jobs on my CV. But I put in my bakery jobs, and my babysitting, and my retail experience - in two different fields mind you - because each one showed different aspects of what I was able to do.)

Dev80

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 8:37 am
This is all very helpful, thanks so much! I hope this is good advice that others can use as well

techiemom

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 5:46 pm
Some great advice, here! I wanted to pass along a list of "action verbs" that you can use if you are having trouble coming up with ways to describe your accomplishments: Action Verbs

irrationalrose

Post Wed, May 25 2011, 9:50 pm
I agree with amother - I also interview people for tech positions and if I saw something random thing like "babysitter" on a resume I would put it at the bottom of the pile. Even if you can kvetch a connection some work experience is better left off because it looks unprofessional.

Also - if you are looking for a programming position DO NOT list Microsoft Office as a skill!

Fox

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 11:57 am
irrationalrose wrote:
Also - if you are looking for a programming position DO NOT list Microsoft Office as a skill!

You really made my morning with this comment! LOL

You're 100 percent correct, though I wish you weren't! If I had $1 for every time I've had to explain (sometimes repeatedly!) how to do a mail merge or some other basic MS Office task to a programmer, I'd be able to hang out here on imamother even more than I do already!

I'm sure this doesn't apply to the OP, but I wish someone out there would come right out and say it for the benefit of others: If you are planning to work in an office in any capacity other than janitor (and maybe even that!), not knowing how to use MS Windows and MS Office is the equivalent of not being toilet trained.

Dev80

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 2:28 pm
lol that's to funny, well we learned access and sql so I figure I'm allowed to put that, right?

Also, when the resume is actually written I may PM it to some of you for feedback, I hope that's ok Smile

I really do appreciate the time you took out to write these responses, imamother is such a good resource!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 26 2011, 5:16 pm
If you don't, be prepared to discuss the "holes" in your resume.

Dev80

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 6:02 am
I don't think it's really holes in my resume...I've been in seminary and now school and working since I left hs as I'm only 21 (only 3 years out of hs). it would just be whether I want to mention summer jobs or not. So I think I'll kind of lump them together and try to put a positive spin on them. I looked at a friends resume who is in college and doing all these extra curriculars and wow does she sound impressive! I don't really have tons to put...but I figured I'll start trying to write it next week.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 27 2011, 12:18 pm
Holes are any unaccounted for dates. Just be ready to explain them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics