Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Sleeping over with kids

ima_dina084

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 2:05 am
we are often invited to relatives homes for shabbos where we will have to sleepover. sometimes I would like to go, my dh would like it even more than me, but its just so hard with a little one! ds is on a schedual, and is very sensitve to any changes. we recently went out for just fa meal friday night and it took 6 days for life to get back to normal for us! I think he thought that friday night dinner was lunch because he was not willing to go back to bed after. the rest of the week he was cranky, up at wierd hours..the works. last time we went for a whole shabbos he literarly woke up over 10 times through out the night, and I was the one waking up and putting him back to sleep each time. on the other hand, this is our first, what am I sappoused to do, not go out for shabbos until my last child is 8 yrs old ? not very reasonable either. what do other people do ? do you limit how many times you go out, do you only go out in the winter, are your kids just very easy going about sleeping late some and wake up fine the next day? s

Marion

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 4:48 am
If we are home we stay in for Friday night and hope to get invitations for lunch. We WILL entertain Friday night, just not go out. Most of our friends are in the same boat, or have been recently, and seem to do the same thing.

We do occasionally go "away" for Shabbat or chag. No, the kids don't usually sleep as well as they do at home (too much excitement), but it doesn't usually take them a week to recover either. We stick to their routines as much as possible. If they're asleep before dinner on Friday we certainly don't wake them; they'll have already heard "kiddush" anyway. My bigger issue (in the summer) is actually how late Shabbat goes out; when we're home they're usually in bed before havdalah.

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 5:04 am
Marion wrote:
If we are home we stay in for Friday night and hope to get invitations for lunch. We WILL entertain Friday night, just not go out. Most of our friends are in the same boat, or have been recently, and seem to do the same thing.

We do occasionally go "away" for Shabbat or chag. No, the kids don't usually sleep as well as they do at home (too much excitement), but it doesn't usually take them a week to recover either. We stick to their routines as much as possible. If they're asleep before dinner on Friday we certainly don't wake them; they'll have already heard "kiddush" anyway. My bigger issue (in the summer) is actually how late Shabbat goes out; when we're home they're usually in bed before havdalah.

same here. we do our best to stay home at night kids go to sleep right after lecht benchig and before havdala (usually before seuda shlishit to) we go out for lunch when were invited.
As for going away for shabbos I hate doing it with kids (I'm talking about going to relatives not to a hotell which I would love to but we never do) when we have to they sleep badly and behave terribly but recovery doesn't take a whole week.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 5:17 am
I am always amazed when I see people schlepping their tiny little kids all over the place at crazy hours. If it works for them, great. I value sanity. For myself and for my kids. We do not eat out friday night nor do we have guests in the summer months. Only for shabbos lunch. Going away for shabbos is rare. They don't sleep as well, they don't eat as well, they don't always behave as well. When we do, kids are a little off and grouchy the next day. But by Monday things are okay again.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 6:04 am
my kids are ok staying up late, but not too late. (9 or 10pm) I usually invite families with kids during the day. It's very difficult when we go away to family who do late shabbos (ie they don't bring it in early during the summer) and we are expected to eat with them, even though we are not sleeping there. We end up having to take the kids home to sleep and someone has to stay with them.

Dimpled

Post Tue, Jun 14 2011, 6:51 am
I agree with everything everyone wrote.
also, You did not write how old your ds is. maybe it's just a phase that will pass way before he turns 8.
In any case, every child is different, who says the next ones will also be difficult? I see how different my two are with these things as well as everything else! (dd always was an excellent sleeper while ds on the other hand...... Wink )
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics