Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Sharing your schar with the KitchenAid
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

mali

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 3:57 pm
Besides, my hands would never do the job as well.

micki

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 6:28 pm
ok motek- glad I made you smile. my brain was pretty fuzzy when I did those examples.

here is a much better one.
to build a succa. do you get more schar if you turn every screw by hand? if you use an electric screwdriver, do you share the schar with the electric tool?

I'll think of more. now I have to go show my kids what will happen to their bladder if they don't use the bathroom often enough. ( I will use a balloon and fill it with water from the tap - and keep filling it till KABOOM!!!)

Blossom

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 6:56 pm
Quote:
washing a dirty machine/pot etc. is quite a PAIN!! esp. in my small sink!

Aussiegal LOL LOL Good point!!!!!

Quote:
ok motek- glad I made you smile. my brain was pretty fuzzy when I did those examples.

here is a much better one.
to build a succa. do you get more schar if you turn every screw by hand? if you use an electric screwdriver, do you share the schar with the electric tool?

I'll think of more. now I have to go show my kids what will happen to their bladder if they don't use the bathroom often enough. ( I will use a balloon and fill it with water from the tap - and keep filling it till KABOOM!!!)

Micki, in case you didn't know, You're funny Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

ButterflyGarden

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 6:58 pm
Quote:
If you want to compare it you would have to say, would you give a robot a coin and send it off to drop it in a pushka or put it in the pushka yourself!

You don't have to be so extreme. What about donations made online vs. writing a check vs. putting the coin in the pushke vs. handing the coin directly to the person who needs help?

For that matter, what happens when we learn Torah online or listen to a taped shiur vs. going to a shiur? I don't have the time or the means (babysitters are expensive and hard to find) to go to a shiur in person, but I've always got a tape, CD or MP3 shiur running.

Emuna

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 7:29 pm
I remember reading Nechama Greisman saying to get as MUCH help as you can, as in washing machine, help chopping vegetables, etc. and I'm sure this would include Kitchen Aid. Although I do get some disapointed looks when I say I used the Kitchen Aid.

micki

Post Thu, Oct 19 2006, 10:48 pm
well I know htis is REALLLLLLY off topic but it worked! I attatched the ballooon to the faucet and said, when we drink we put water in our bodies. it goes down to our stomach and then it fills up in our bladder. then we have a hole in the bladder that lets the water out. but if we don't let the water out, what happens?
so I turned on the faucet. and said this is a drink of apple juice. this is water - on again. then this is milk, and filled it more. then this is water again etc... and as the balloon filled up the kids backed up you should have seen the expressions on their faces- "mommy its gonna poo!" yup I said and I turned it on again and it exploded all over the kitchen.

yea I had a mess on my hands but my boys finally got it. you are not allowed to hold it in. phew!!! (I had to tell my girls that it would not explode, that they would end up making in their pants but I told them not to tell the boys!!)
if this is inappropriate here- then delete it or move it!

chen

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 9:52 am
DefyGravity wrote:
all the schar goes to the bakery.

Seems to me it's just the opposite: Part of the baker's reward goes to you in exchange for the money you pay for the challos. People who learn Torah in a Yissochor-Zevulun arrangement don't seem to be troubled by the idea of sharing their reward with their financial backers.

gryp

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 9:58 am
micki, I'm glad you posted the rest of the story. LOL

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 10:04 am
Quote:
Seems to me it's just the opposite: Part of the baker's reward goes to you in exchange for the money you pay for the challos. People who learn Torah in a Yissochor-Zevulun arrangement don't seem to be troubled by the idea of sharing their reward with their financial backers.
nope, it isn't that kind of relationship. all you get is the benefit of eating something kosher e.g. permissible, which has had challah separated from it. If you bake the challah, and DO the hafroshas challah, you get the mitzvah. Otherwise, you just don't.

Which is why the Lubavitcher Rebbe when speaking of the three mitzvos of the women expressed his wish that women would bake challah so that they could do this mitzvah, and not leave it for the baker. for those who are interested, I'm sorry I can't quote the exact sicha with date, but this discussion brought up this memory from my farbrengen "archives". Smile

Sparkle

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 3:17 pm
I think that is ridiculous. Why are there some people intent on making things harder for women - it's like they want to shoot us back to the 18th century.

And BTW, I do knead my dough by hand - only because I like to not b/c I'm afraid of having a kitchen aid as my next door neighbor in olam habah!

mom3boys

Post Fri, Oct 20 2006, 3:22 pm
Did not realize that you can share schar with an inanimate object Confused

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 22 2006, 9:33 am
mom22 wrote:
I think that is ridiculous. Why are there some people intent on making things harder for women - it's like they want to shoot us back to the 18th century.

I agree that the way the line was worded unneccessarily put women on a guilt trip BUT there IS truth to it. As people posted previously, "l'fum tzaara agra" and there are many examples in which people chose to do things the hard way because they held the mitzva dear. Someone mentioned walking to their Rebbe so as not to share the mitzva with a horse, the same is told about two great men who were on their way to draw "mayim shelanu" for the Pesach matzos. One was in a horse-drawn carriage and he offered the other a ride which the man declined so as not to share the mitzva with the horse.

Or in "Guardian of Jerusalem", p. 134 , R' Yosef Chaim Sonnenfeld says he doesn't want to get into the carriage bec. "We are involved in saving a Jew's life. I prefer to perform this mitzva on my own, without the help of a carriage." Or "All for the Boss" - R' Y.Y. Herman, who got out of the wagon to walk in the mud to the Chofetz Chaim.

mom3boys - I don't think it literally means that the horse or KitchenAid is rewarded, rather - it diminishes from the act that you did.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 12:07 pm
I just wanted to vent:
Not only did this quote irritate me, but a later article in the same place talked about the lesson of the 67th potato...how a husband invited his chavrusa's family of 8 for a sukkos meal and told his wife it shouldn't be such a big deal as she had cooked a lot already, and it was just 8 more people!
The woman should have been consulted first and asked if she minded, and even if it is a chessed, in this situation it was forced. I think the perspective was totally warped!

Ok, I feel better now Smile

Raisin

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:04 pm
There is a wonderful elderly woman in our town (sadly very ill in hospital now) who told me that she chops her Gefilta fish by hand, on a chopping board with a "hackmesser". No food processors for her!!!! She will only use a knife. I always think of her when I make Gefilta fish.

I'm sure there are lots of people around like that, but they are not necessarily right. I used to make my dough by hand, til I got a bread machine. But if I was feeling tired or ill, there was no way I could knead that dough.

micki

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:29 pm
Quote:
put women on a guilt trip BUT there IS truth to it. A

why only women? according to my latest example, men should have to build succas by hand. no tools no screws just sweat.
no pop ups no rolled out mats- you gotta go to the forest and chop your own wood...by hand.
I think thats harder!

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Oct 23 2006, 1:53 pm
Motek wrote:

mom3boys - I don't think it literally means that the horse or KitchenAid is rewarded, rather - it diminishes from the act that you did.

this is pathetic!!

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 9:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
The woman should have been consulted first and asked if she minded, and even if it is a chessed, in this situation it was forced. I think the perspective was totally warped

I agree. I thought the example was idiotic (though I think that it was meant to be exaggerated, maybe even humorous)

micki wrote:
men should have to build succas by hand. no tools no screws just sweat.
no pop ups no rolled out mats- you gotta go to the forest and chop your own wood...by hand

And you don't think it makes a difference if a man puts up his succa himself or hires someone to do it for him? You think it doesn't make a difference if he spends lots of time arranging bamboo and then taking them all down one by one and bundling them together as opposed to laying out a mat?

Everything counts!

MommyLuv wrote:
this is pathetic!!

Why? Do you think effort makes no difference? Is it the same to you whether you cook and feed someone a meal or send them to the store? In both cases they will get fed, yes, and that is what counts to the hungry person, but from YOUR end, do you think it makes no difference?!

mali

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 11:03 am
Come to think of it, I'd rather "share my Schar with my mixer" than not get any at all.

mom3boys

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 11:53 am
Quote:
Come to think of it, I'd rather "share my Schar with my mixer" than not get any at all.

For a woman with 4 children under 5 making her own challah using a bread machine to make the dough only, since challah doesn't braid itself may be as difficult (effort wise) as for a bubby who's kids are all grown to make gefilte fish from scratch. Just as mixing a large batch of dough is easier for me, a woman who is 5'10 and 180 pounds, than for a petite lady.

At the end of the day, I believe it is you intentions when doing whatever it is that you do.

supermom

Post Tue, Oct 24 2006, 11:58 am
I don't know how do knead and when someone tries to teach me my hands are aching within the first thirty seconds. I have tried to mush parts at a time but it is still not kneaded normally. I rather use my kitchenaid to make my challah than not make challah all together.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics