Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Cooking for... the garbage

Doris

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:43 am
There is a big problem in my house with leftovers, especially after Shabbos and Yom Tov, in particular after having guests. The last thing I want when we have guests is to offer them a stingy meal. So I always make sure that dishes are full and that there is a nice but not crazy big choice of what to eat. And then, after the meal, the problems start.

What to do with the leftovers?

I always seem to have tons of food leftover. My husband and I are the only ones who eat leftovers are my husband and I, most are not suitable for the baby.

There is a limit to how many times I can reheat food - and I can't freeze food after it's been out the whole Shabbos.

So much ends up in the garbage - and it drives me crazy - the cost and the waste.

What do you do?

mama-star

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:35 am
cook less!

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 9:59 am
I generally put food out for the meal. That means taking enough from the container to fill a serving dish, and putting the rest right back in the fridge. Of course, if the dish is empty and I think it needs refilling, I take it in the kitchen and do so, but I don't put out way too much food to sit on the table for hours. Whatever didn't get used during the meals gets eaten as leftovers within the next day or two, and whatever didn't get put out is easy and safe to freeze.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 10:33 am
I think it takes time to figure out proper quantities and proportions when entertaining and hosting guests. I know the first year or two of marriage leftovers was a huge problem for me too. I always way over estimated how much I would need. I put out too many choices and too much of everything. It's something you figure out along the way and get better at.

I find that in general, and probably even much so in the summer when shabbos is so late, Friday night people eat nicely at the first course with fish and salads and have very little interest in soup and a heavy meat course. So I put most of my effort and prepare more of the fish and salads, skip the soup altogether in hot weather, and make minimal amounts of chicken and accompanying dishes. And even so I have never ever run out. And in the summer I find it's the same for lunches too. People like the light stuff, nobody wants much (if any) cholent.

Even so there are occasions when I have leftovers. We aren't big leftover fans. For Sunday okay, but I wont eat leftovers all week like some people do. So Monday morning I pack everything up and DH takes it to his office and puts it out for his employees. People are very excited to have new things to try - it's not leftovers for them. Nothing goes to waste.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:40 pm
is this a double post ?

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 3:57 pm
Some things you can freeze and use on occasions you don't have many guests. I can just reheat and eat the same thing Sundays and Mondays, some get packed into lunch, some get "recycled" later week. Meatballs, brisket, most kugels freeze very well. Ditto for cholent (good for when you feel like having a taste of it but not the whole pot).

When you invite guests for shabbat etc, do you have single guys or newly married? I've offered our guests "doggie bags" which were often taken with much appreciation, especially for single guys/gals.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Jul 17 2011, 5:18 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
is this a double post ?

Seems so. Maybe mods will combine?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics