Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Just curious
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Choose one of these that best fit your description
Lubavitch  
 40%  [ 32 ]
chassidish  
 22%  [ 18 ]
litvish  
 7%  [ 6 ]
yeshivish  
 15%  [ 12 ]
modern orthodox  
 15%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 80

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:16 am
Me too. I'd also like to know.

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:43 am
I wrote my response to that question in another thread.
Basically, yeshivish is a sub-set of litvish.
So the question is, if you are yeshivish, which do you vote for?

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:23 pm
im surprised this thread is still around. whats the point of discussing the different types of people within one group of Judaism?

Quote:
I am surprised that one would be so quick to judge a person based on his clothes, and automaticly make the assumtion that the person in jeans and a beard is someone on his way down as opposed to on his way up.

I didnt assume that. you did.
I agreed that it was a good thing for someone to keep his beard when he feels he has to dress more modern than the typical button down shirt, dark pants, hat and jacket.

as far as your husband, I dont think its appropriate to discuss people's husbands on here, but your post spoke for itself.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:56 pm
Quote:
mom3boys: We are lubavitch, we are not chassidish, but modern. My husband wears jeans and used to trim his beard. If he was aware of your view of such men, maybe he would have continued to trim.

To set the record straight: Lubavitch is absolutely 100% AGAINST cutting/trimming beards in any way, shape, or form: http://www.chabad.org/library/.....60973

Jeans are not acceptable dress for men bchlal, and there has been a more recent campaign urging women to drop wearing jean skirts.

People can define themselves however they want to, and we are all (hopefully) always working on ourselves, taking on hachlatas, and trying to grow. Because of Chabad's great emphasis on outreach, many people (BARUCH HASHEM) have come a lot closer to Yiddishkeit, but still wear jeans, trim beards, etc. It shows such Ahavas Yisroel how Chabad brings these Yidden in, but they DO NOT represent the official stance of Chabad-Lubavitch when it comes to levush, etc.

"Serious" Chabad bochurim where black pants, white button-down shirt, zehu. Women are supposed to dress elegantly, but modestly... and when a man gets married, if his wife wants to add some modest colors or pin-stripes to his wardrobe, that's generally fine...

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 12:57 pm
Quote:
mom3boys: We are lubavitch, we are not chassidish, but modern. My husband wears jeans and used to trim his beard.

To set the record straight: Lubavitch is absolutely 100% AGAINST cutting/trimming beards in any way, shape, or form: http://www.chabad.org/library/.....60973

Jeans are not acceptable dress for men bchlal, and there has been a more recent campaign urging women to drop wearing jean skirts.

People can define themselves however they want to, and we are all (hopefully) always working on ourselves, taking on hachlatas, and trying to grow. Because of Chabad's great emphasis on outreach, many people (BARUCH HASHEM) have come a lot closer to Yiddishkeit, but still wear jeans, trim beards, etc. It shows such Ahavas Yisroel how Chabad brings these Yidden in, but they DO NOT represent the official stance of Chabad-Lubavitch when it comes to levush, etc.

"Serious" Chabad bochurim where black pants, white button-down shirt, zehu. Women are supposed to dress elegantly, but modestly... and when a man gets married, if his wife wants to add some modest colors or pin-stripes to his wardrobe, that's generally fine...

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 1:13 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
amother wrote:
Can someone please explain the differences between between Litvish and Yeshivish?

I'd like to know the difference as well.
I see Litvish as emphasizing that one is non-Chassidic in ideology, while Yeshivish means that yeshiva learning, and Kolel lifestyles are emphasized, but playing down ideological differences between chassidim and litvish. After all plenty people of Chassidic background do fit into that lifestyle. Just how I see it.

momofgirls

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 4:25 pm
This post was not intended to start such a disagreement or to knock other, it was just out of pure curiousty of how many of what kind of ppl are on here.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 5:15 pm
Believe me, this is not the only website that such things are brought up and argued about. It’s an accident waiting to happen!

Ribbie Danzinger

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 5:25 pm
I think I would describe myself as an Ashkenazi Yeshivish Charedi Dati Modern Orthodox chabakooknik with Sefardi Masorti background, a nationalistic husband(and a Yemenite bil). What do you make of that? shock

In short, you could just say that I'm Jewish. Speechless

Cheers I'm JEWISH Cheers

chen

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:04 pm
Ah, labels. Don't you love them? I do...for storage boxes, file folders, cabinets, Tupperware, trench coats and everything the kids are taking to camp.

mom3boys

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:23 pm
GR wrote:

youre talking about some people who want a more modern lifestyle, so yes, it is a good thing that they (the ones you know) still have kept their beards.

Your words. "still kept their beards" - implies that they always had them. How do you know?

Quote:
as far as your husband, I don’t think it is appropriate to discuss people's husbands on here

you are right discussing other people's husbands may be inappropriate, but I believe it was my husband I was referring to.

Quote:
but your post spoke for itself.

?

As for the anonymous poster. Why are you anonymous?

bandcm

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:41 pm
Please, everyone, if you said something that offended someone, just apologize and move on.
If something someone said offended you, either forget it and move on, or let the poster know that it hurt you and move on.
Why rehash every argument and keep at each other?

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:

and where are you getting this translation and understanding from.

bandcm

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 8:59 pm
I don´t know where she´s getting it from, but you must admit, it´s almost completely accurate.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 9:30 pm
Quote:
Your words. "still kept their beards" - implies that they always had them. How do you know?

ok, I see how you see that from "still" but thats not what I meant. its not like I dont know that people go through different stages.

Quote:
you are right discussing other people's husbands may be inappropriate, but I believe it was my husband I was referring to.

right, and I cant answer what you posted because never would I point fingers at specific people and certainly not at someones husband here on Imamother.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 9:39 pm
Thanks, bandcm. Wink

Ilana

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 10:45 pm
everyone should stop judging everyone else by the way they dress. everyone should worry about themselves in this area. how do you like it when somone stares at you because you are different. I know many very religous people that wear jeans and to say that clothes make the person is way off the mark. yes WE ARE ALL JEWS. no blah blah blah its the truth.this is one of the biggest problems among US today. In fact I am surprised that lubavichers (not all) have this veiw. I always looked up to them because the were not as judgmental. I do see more lubavich men wearing jeans than you want to believe and I think there is nothing wrong with it. Do you assume someone is a good Jew because they wear black and white? if you do that is naive. are we all so perfect at doing mitzvos that the most important thing to is dress the right way? I know everyone is going to be upset that I wrote this but it should be said and im not even trying to argue just maybe shed some light on this issue.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 01 2006, 11:32 pm
Maybe this should be a different thread. We do make a statement on how we dress. We dress one way on Shabbos as apposed to weekday and different at home all day, to when going out and if going to work or shop or a simcha. And yes we notice people as to how they look if they are happy , sad etc or dressed this way or that, if they are Chassidish, Litvish etc. etc. I suppose its hard to not judge, based on what we see but we also have to realise peaple do judge us, its a natural thing.

Anyway mom3boys. I hope I didn't upset you. I was the one who wondered why you were so surprised. After rereading the post I see it could look like it was refering to going down. When we see scary changes in the community we might jump to wrong conclusions. This is realy for another thread. May we all work to bring mosiach with doing rotzon Hashem even on this forum.

mom3boys

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 7:45 am
Gr and amother, thank you for clarifying your points. Smile

gryp

Post Thu, Nov 02 2006, 9:30 am
I think that denying what is an appropriate dress code is silly. it has nothing to do with judgementalism. I understand people want to be more comfortable in jeans, or that a white shirt with black pants looks weird when walking in the mall, or that the typical Chassidishe haircut isn't stylish enough. but let's not pretend a t-shirt and jeans has the same appropriateness (propriety?) as a hat and jacket.
(for Lubavitchers: would the Rebbe agree with the claim that it doesnt matter what we wear?)

Quote:
Maybe this should be a different thread. We do make a statement on how we dress. We dress one way on Shabbos as apposed to weekday and different at home all day,

amother Thumbs Up
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics