Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Help! Community suggestions

chanainisrael

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 4:35 pm
We are making Aliyah, IYH, next summer. In the spring I'm planning on making a pilot trip to check out various communities..Until then, I would like to gather information from some of you imamothers. We have 4 children, ages 7-1.

Here's a list of what we are seeking
1. An English speaking Rabbi (preferably native from the US/Canada/GB)
2. A place for DH to learn, in English, at a beginner's level. We are both BT and DH has had limited learning opportunities.
3. We won't have a car, so a place with good public transportation is necessary.
4. I would define us as Chardal...not Dati and not Chareidi. I do wear snoods/scarves/and a sheitel. DH wears a hat/suit on Shabbos only. Yet he still dresses conservative during the week.
5. Living beyond the 'green line' is a potential, but the main concern is safety and getting around w/o a car.
6. We are open to living in the North and also in the J'lem area.

I have friends in RBS. My only concern with living there is getting 'lost' in the largeness of it. We are coming from a small community in the Midwest.

Thanks for your help!!

Smiling Wife

Post Sun, Nov 13 2011, 11:46 pm
Hi,
I hear your concerns about getting lost in big RBS, but I say try if for a bit.
As per Jeru, the prices are so high, good for you if you are able to afford such an amazing makom.
Is your husband learning full time or part time? In RBS there are any learning programs geared to men who are new to learning, if he is learning full time look into Ohr Somayach or Aish Hatorah both in Jeru.
We are moving to RBS in a month ( whaaat?) :-))

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 12:09 am
Shapell's is a great yeshiva, has everything from beginner level to smicha. It's in Jerusalem, but there are rabbis there (I don't know about students) who commute from RBS.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 12:15 am
Yes I was going to say check out Shapell's. I learned in the girls' school, and dh works there. Amazing place.

As far as communities, you can look into Ma'ale Adumim and see if it fits you. There are a few Shapell's / Midreshit Rachel allumi there besides us. It is not a charadi community though.

finallyamommy

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 12:28 am
RachelEve, when were you there? I learned there last year and met my husband there :-)

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 12:31 am
I was there 2001 - 2002, but I am sure dh knows your dh Smile

Marion

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 1:31 am
You could check out Shappell's and also Ohr Somayach. Ma'ale Adumim, though not charedi per se, certainly has more religious neighbourhoods ("chardal"?), as well as English speakers, and the public transportation is great. It would be one bus and a 10 minute walk to Ohr Somayach. The pricing is creeping up there, but it's still cheaper than Jerusalem!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 1:56 am
Marion wrote:
You could check out Shappell's and also Ohr Somayach. Ma'ale Adumim, though not charedi per se, certainly has more religious neighbourhoods ("chardal"?), as well as English speakers, and the public transportation is great. It would be one bus and a 10 minute walk to Ohr Somayach. The pricing is creeping up there, but it's still cheaper than Jerusalem!
I just want to pipe and say, unless you are charedi, Ohr Sameach in not really the correct yeshiva. My husband went there and boy was it a mistake. I also think that Shappels would be the best fit for what you are looking for.

chanainisrael

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 5:42 pm
Thanks to everyone for writing back so quickly!

With the learning part of it...DH works FT from home, so he's looking more for a night seder, possibly a short afternoon seder. Just something that he would be comfortable at with the level he's at. I don't think we could afford J'lem, but then again I've never looked into prices there. I"ve just heard only good about RBS, plus with the 'soft-landing' aspect of it, it definetely sounds appealing. I guess I won't know for sure what will be the right fit until I make a pilot trip. I was in Israel over 10 years ago...so it's been a while.

Smiling Wife

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 11:23 pm
We are still in the US and making aliyah in a month to RBS, pm me when you are about to make a pilot trip maybe I will be already settled and able to help in some way or another.
My husband will be learning FT in aish, it is in the old city so there will be commuting ...etc I have the impression that it would be difficult to find the "small town" feel in areas like Jlem and RBS, unless you live in the shtachim, please Israelis correct me if I am wrong. After all b"H everyone around you will be jewish ;-)

Ladies, really? Ohr Somayach is that chareidi? But there are many BTs who go there who are still rocky hashkafically, how could it be charedi?

amother

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 12:40 am
Smiling Wife wrote:
We are still in the US and making aliyah in a month to RBS, pm me when you are about to make a pilot trip maybe I will be already settled and able to help in some way or another.
My husband will be learning FT in aish, it is in the old city so there will be commuting ...etc I have the impression that it would be difficult to find the "small town" feel in areas like Jlem and RBS, unless you live in the shtachim, please Israelis correct me if I am wrong. After all b"H everyone around you will be jewish ;-)

Ladies, really? Ohr Somayach is that chareidi? But there are many BTs who go there who are still rocky hashkafically, how could it be charedi?

From what I heard, they are into externals, like pushing their students along to wear black and white and a hat. If someone is progressing along in their frumkeit but not taking on the chareidi clothes and hashkafah to their liking, Ohr Sameyach is not supportive of that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions