Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Storing silver

allgood

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 9:46 pm
I am looking to put away some pieces of silver for a long while. Any idea as to the best way to store them?

Thanks!

mommy's daughter

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 10:01 pm
in towel paper and tigh but real tight plastic bag that no air should be able to enter

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 14 2011, 10:51 pm
Tightly wrapped in aluminum foil that has been smoothed down to a skin-like coat that excludes all air. Add extra foil "padding" on parts that stick out, like fork tines or washing cup handles. I fold up a strip of foil into several thicknesses, fold that over the ends of the tines, and only then wrap the stack of forks in foil. I'd do the same on the handle end if my flatware came to a point there. Otherwise the tines will poke through the foil when you smooth it down (BTDT) and you'll have a lovely shiny fork with a black tip.

You can buy specially-treated protective bags that will add an extra measure of tarnish protection, but for really long-term storage, like a year or more, aluminum foil tightly conforming to the contours of the item can't be beat.

allgood

Post Tue, Nov 15 2011, 4:26 pm
Thanks so much!

soproud

Post Thu, Nov 24 2011, 12:19 am
I polish my silver and then wrap it super tightly in plastic wrap. Works beautifully!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics