Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Selling my hair for a shaitel

Bitachon101

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 12:15 am
I BH have pretty nice hair and I let it grow even though I am covering it. My DH liked it long anyway and so I kept telling myself when its long enough I will cut it and sell or trade in with a shaitel macher.

Anyway Its at a point where it is getting to be a pain in the neck to put in snood and shaitel and tying it up (snoods keep stretching out or falling back b/c too much hair at this point.

I would like to cut it but a really decent amount cut to be worthwhile for a shaitel will leave me with just pst shoulder length hair.... DH doesnt want me to have short hair but tells me I can cut frm what it is already.... but after all this time growing it... once I cut it I want to cut enough to do something with it!!!

Its hard to know if he will like the look of the couple inch past shoulders (could look short depending on how its cut) I want to do the right thing but He really wants me to get a new shaitel or fall and we cant afford one (mine is not doing what it needs for him and he notices!) so I been really doing this alot in mind to maybe work out to be able to get a new shaitel while selling my hair.

Any shaitel ppl have ideas? Is it wrong for me to cut it and have it shorter than he would like for a little while but it will grow back in anyway??? I cant decide what to do!

Thanks!

rovacat

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 2:58 am
I can't tell you what to do regarding your sholom bayis. you have to be happy, and your dh should be happy. I would think if he loves your hair so much, so keep it. maybe just trip 3-4 inches. that could make a difference with covering it. I actually just cut off my hair and sold it to a shaitle maker. I gave her I think 13 inches. she bought it from me- hair goes according to length, and then according to weight, and then it falls into different categories of how much it'll cost. the next group after mine would have been somelike like 16 inches. I can't imagine you have that much to cut off. the value of my hair was $111. for me it was great, bec. I was sick of my long hair, and covering it. I love having it short, and dh actually likes it short, also. but the actual money is not worth it to cut it if you don't want to to begin with. and as far as exchanging it for a shaitle, I don't think it'll get you too far. you can always ask your shaitle macher what she does and ask her opinion. I dont' think it's worth it to cut it off just for the money. but do what's best for you.

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 3:32 am
Is buying a synhetic sheitel an option for you?

I love mine, I get lots of complements and I paid $40 for it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Wigs-Ho....._1032

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 7:13 am
I think 10 inches is th eminimum for a sheital but I could be wrong

Kumphort

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 8:32 am
have you investigated to see how much you would get for your hair?
I would think with today's market of getting hair from other countries, you wouldnt get that much anyhow.

If you get a nice cut, your husband might like it, and besides if your hair is so long now to begin with, it probably will grow quickly

mosma

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 9:17 am
my mother and sister donate their hair to chai lifeline. they need 14 inches. and it can't be dyed hair.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 2:16 pm
If your hairs covered with a snood/shaitel every day doesn't the color look a little dead? Sorry, but I wouldn't want to "wear" hair that desn't get sunlight.

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 2:37 pm
mosma wrote:
my mother and sister donate their hair to chai lifeline. they need 14 inches. and it can't be dyed hair.

Zichron Menachem needs at least 10 inches. I donated my hair about 2 years ago. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision that I made because I hated how tangly my long hair would get under any head covering I wore. DH thought the super-short hair was cute. It was nice not to have a bump in the back of my sheitel for the first time ever.

peppermint

Post Thu, Nov 17 2011, 3:55 pm
Speak to your Rav. Some Rabbis allow you to cut your own hair and make it into a sheital for yourself. My friend was told by an Orthodox Rav that she could wear her own hair as long as its not attached to her head.

Alef Bais

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 10:22 am
peppermint wrote:
Speak to your Rav. Some Rabbis allow you to cut your own hair and make it into a sheital for yourself. My friend was told by an Orthodox Rav that she could wear her own hair as long as its not attached to her head.

As much as I would have loved to do this, I was told this is not permitted.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 18 2011, 3:51 pm
one head of hair isn't enough for a sheital, generally. it takes several heads of hair. and that usually is permitted. but make sure the rov knows that it's more then one head of hair.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels