Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
To invite or not to invite??

newu

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 5:25 pm
We are planning a simcha in a couple of months. A few people have offered to host family members of mine over shabbos which is very nice. they have the space and do not mind at all. The thing is, we are not close to either of them. Are we obligated to invite them to the party? the entire shul is invited to the kiddush that we will be making on shabbos, so of course they are included. Not sure what to do...

imasinger

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 5:27 pm
I think it depends on the norms of your community. I know that where I live, we have hosted people and not expected nor received invitations to the simcha. That was just fine for us.

Ask locally.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 5:36 pm
I would feel funny taking advantage of their hospitality and not inviting them, but that's me.
But as previously suggested, find out what is the norm in the community. Perhaps it's just enough to let them know that you are happy to reciprocate as hostess when they have their own simcha.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 7:13 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I would feel funny taking advantage of their hospitality and not inviting them, but that's me.

That makes two of us. So I invited. In the end they didn't even have to put anyone up but big deal...it was a few extra people. It didn't make us or break us.

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 04 2011, 11:28 pm
In my community, its normal to host guests for others but not be invited to the meals on shabbos. We all do it for each other. The kiddush on shabbos is enough for everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette