Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working as a translator

amother

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 4:39 am
In order to work as a translator does one actually need to know the language that you are translating for or is it skills that you need?

ora_43

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 4:42 am
Seriously?

ora_43

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 4:46 am
You need to be highly proficient in the language you're translating, and completely fluent (mother tongue level) in the target language.

amother

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 4:47 am
Yes, seriously.
I was talking to someone and they mentioned something along the lines of needing "skills other than another language" to translate.
I thought it sounded weird, but I wanted to hear it from people that work in translation.
I guess I will ask her what she meant.

shalhevet

Post Fri, Dec 16 2011, 5:25 am
Maybe she meant you need other skills *in addition to* knowing the two languages, because often people think anyone who knows two languages can translate.

You need good language skills - as in writing excellent text in your target language. Today you also need computer skills - Word (at least) and know how to search information on the internet.

(I am a professional translator.)

amother

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 5:25 pm
I am also interested in this! I speak a few languages fluently as I grew up with them and have basic computer skills. Do you need to get some sort of a degree or acriditation? Is it a boring job?

shalhevet

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 5:56 pm
amother wrote:
I am also interested in this! I speak a few languages fluently as I grew up with them and have basic computer skills.

You need one language (the language you will translate into) on an excellent level - the others can be on a very good, not quite fluent level (as long as you know where to look up problematic words).

Quote:
Do you need to get some sort of a degree or acriditation?

It depends in which country. Most of the time potential clients will hire you from recommendations and/or sample translations, not because of your qualifications. I would strongly recommend taking a translation course, but there are translators out there who didn't and "learned on the job".

Quote:
Is it a boring job?
I don't think so at all, but everyone is an individual. Also a lot depends on the type of material you are translating - the end of the year company accounts or a printer operating manual are going to be a lot less interesting to translate than an academic article on a topic that interests you or (lehavdil) a book about the parsha.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sat, Dec 17 2011, 8:48 pm
My friend said that if you know two languages well, as she did, that being an interpreter was much easier than being a translator.

An interpreter is just speaking; it's talking, as people speak, and need to know what the other person just said in the other language. Nothing is written down. A translator produces a manuscript.

Being an interpreter that might present tzniut issues for a frum woman, to go among strangers to meetings or social settings, I don't know. Translation can be done at home, I suppose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics