Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Q and A about Chaseedishe life
  Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11

Clarissa

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 10:24 am
chocolate moose wrote:
chayitty wrote:
watching a movie is spending qualitytime

Actually it's not, and that's why, amonst other reasons, that couples on shidduchim don't go to the movies.
That's different. When you're dating, you have a limited time to get to know basics about eachother. When you're more involved or married, a movie can be a great way to spend some time, and it can be followed up with a great conversation about what you just saw. My husband and I love to talk about every aspect of what we just saw. I have a friend who is really into continuity errors, so that's always fun. Another friend is a cinematographer, so he focuses on the lighting in a particular scene. Obviously, talking about the story or whatever is a great opening to an interesting conversation and evening. For us, watching a movie is the best date night, since we can't afford sitters and restaurants.

chayitty

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 10:29 am
u cant really compare dating life to married life
for me watching a movie with dh is all about sitting cozy on the couch chilling out and getting a good laugh....hmmmm try doing tha while dating

Seraph

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 5:16 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
louche wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
(who matched, who hatched, and who detached, for instance Very Happy) .

I LOVE IT!!! Did you make that one up?
Nah, I didn't.

as for the question about the families eating separately - if it's your own family, then NO!!! Why would there be separation in your OWN FAMILY? sometimes, when the family has really grown very big, like for instance KE"H my ILs have 8 married hcildren and 35 grandchildren, and the oldest boy is already 15, so when the ENTIRE family gets together for melaveh malkah, we might sit in sep rooms cuz there simply isnt room!!!

a famly who I visited in tosh always ate seperately, even if it was just family bec of the brothers and sisters in law...

justanothermother

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 5:20 pm
breslov wrote:
a famly who I visited in tosh always ate seperately, even if it was just family bec of the brothers and sisters in law...

The real question here is, if this family was coming to look at your apartment, would they come at two separate times (the wife can come when Uriel starts his nap and the husband can come ten minutes into bedtime.)

Seraph

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 5:24 pm
theyd come once while I was there (wife) and then they'd pay me to leave so the husband can look around in a female free environment

Motek

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 11:35 am
Shirley wrote:
I tried to read the post from the beginning, and I noticed that it started in 2006! Mamabear's post about the Satmar Rebbe not being well was my first clue. He passed some time back...

Sorry, but I didnt' got through the entire length of it. I realized that most Q-s were already A-ed.

Not my Q. I asked:

Quote:
Okay, so how many homes in Williamsburgh would you guess, have Internet and DVD access?

And in how many homes with Internet and DVD access, would you guess that women, men, or both, are watching television shows and movies?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 11:42 am
Motek wrote:
Shirley wrote:
I tried to read the post from the beginning, and I noticed that it started in 2006! Mamabear's post about the Satmar Rebbe not being well was my first clue. He passed some time back...

Sorry, but I didnt' got through the entire length of it. I realized that most Q-s were already A-ed.

Not my Q. I asked:

Quote:
Okay, so how many homes in Williamsburgh would you guess, have Internet and DVD access?

And in how many homes with Internet and DVD access, would you guess that women, men, or both, are watching television shows and movies?

I would assume that plenty have Internet access. DVD access probably too. But watching TV shows I'd say most don't whether they have DVD and Internet access is not relevant.
Watching a movie once in a while I'd say not so many but probably more than I think but then I don't know. Just my guess.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 11:48 am
Actually Motek I think I misunderstood your question.

You meant to say that how many people with the applicable devices for access to TV shows and movies actually use them for that purpose.
In that case, I'd say most people have internet access for business and definitely don't use it to watch TV shows although sometimes it can lead to that or other type of things. Most computers come with a DVD player so I don't think people necessarily buy one. I actually do own one for the purpose of doing my exercise.

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 12:27 pm
Does anyone have actual televisions?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 12:44 pm
cassandra wrote:
Does anyone have actual televisions?

On a whole I'd say. Probably not. But I haven't checked everybody's bedrooms, underneath their beds and everybody's revolving bookcase Wink . Contrary to what most people think, there are different types of Chassidish standards among people in Williamsburg. Most are to the right but there are those to the left. I assume those to the left don't have a TV. But I won't say a flat outright "NO".
Let's just say probably 99.99 percent don't.

cassandra

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 12:47 pm
Why would those to the left not have a TV is television viewing is accepted?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 1:01 pm
cassandra wrote:

Television is not accepted. No school will accept someone with a TV at home.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
cassandra wrote:

Television is not accepted. No school will accept someone with a TV at home.
Accept them to what?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 9:05 pm
schools in brooklyn and lakewood and im sure other places too dont allow home to have computers, tvs....u have to sign a form saying u dont have one in your home.

if they need it for business then they work something out with the school and all
Page 11 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  9  10  11 Recent Topics