Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Questions abt kew garden hills

amother

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 8:51 pm
hi. wer not very happy with a place where we currently live. we find that ppl arent very friendly and its hard to make friends if you didnt grow up there. so wer thinking of moving to kew garden hills. we are a young couple, black hat type. we were wondering if ppl are outgoing and friendly there? if u dont know anyone is it easy to make friends? are apartments expensive there? like 2 or 3 bedroom. also, if u live there, do u really like it?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 9:47 pm
love it here, but then again I grew up here, so all my friends live here
its a very happy place to grow up, very "normal" frum, many black hatters etc.
in terms of friends, there are a bunch of different sets of people here. if your husband will belong to a yeshiva, you will likely have no prob making friends. However, if not, I would guess it depends on how out goig youa are
a really nice thing also is that like 99% of KGH is jewish. its awsome!

rent for 2 berdooms usually ranges from 1400 to 1800,with the 1400 being not super nice. a 3 bedroom house, usually around 2400.
I love it here!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 10:14 pm
I did not grow up here, but have lived here for the past 8 years and am happy. My husband is part of a Yeshiva, so I feel more a part of that specific Yeshiva community, rather than the greater KGH. Honestly, I have lived here 8 years and don't really know very many families not associated with my Yeshiva. I consider apartments to be expensive. The prices the previous poster mentioned are accurate, and keep in mind that many of the apartments are small. (Like the 2 bedrooms tend to have small rooms, small kitchen, small living area, etc. 3 bedroom apartments almost don't exist - pple tend to go from a 2 bedroom to a house., while making do with a 1-2 bedroom as long as possible (think two kids sleeping in the living room).

I disagree that 99% is Jewish. It is heavily Jewish, and the stores on Main Street are reflective of that, but there are plenty of others mixed in. Especially if you go past 150th St. there is a large population of Muslims, etc. (Not that it bothers me, but I felt it should be mentioned in light of the PP's statement.

Hatzlacha with your decision.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
I did not grow up here, but have lived here for the past 8 years and am happy. My husband is part of a Yeshiva, so I feel more a part of that specific Yeshiva community, rather than the greater KGH. Honestly, I have lived here 8 years and don't really know very many families not associated with my Yeshiva. I consider apartments to be expensive. The prices the previous poster mentioned are accurate, and keep in mind that many of the apartments are small. (Like the 2 bedrooms tend to have small rooms, small kitchen, small living area, etc. 3 bedroom apartments almost don't exist - pple tend to go from a 2 bedroom to a house., while making do with a 1-2 bedroom as long as possible (think two kids sleeping in the living room).

I disagree that 99% is Jewish. It is heavily Jewish, and the stores on Main Street are reflective of that, but there are plenty of others mixed in. Especially if you go past 150th St. there is a large population of Muslims, etc. (Not that it bothers me, but I felt it should be mentioned in light of the PP's statement.

actually, that area is elecchester, not KGH

amother

Post Sun, Jan 15 2012, 10:44 pm
op here: my husband wudnt be a affiliated with any yeshivah. cant we just be part of a shul? r there nice black hat shuls? which ones? is it hard to find a 2 bedroom apartment that has 2 big bedrooms?

SacN

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 7:43 am
Hi!

We've lived in kgh for a year, and are not part of a yeshiva, but are "black hatish types." DH and I are both from out of town originally, and are in NY for school etc...

Given that...
We like it here. It took some time for me to make friends because I'm not around here much except on shabbos, but DH met people at shul, through friends, etc right away, and I started to feel more at home about 8 months after we moved in. There are TONS of shuls for young charedi but not yeshiva people.

I like that there are tons of jewish/Kosher amenities in a neighborhood with all different types of jews, and that everyone seems to get along, more or less.

Like other people said, apartments are expensive but if you have the time to really look you can find what youre looking for.

morah

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 8:03 am
Compared to where I grew up, apartments here are cheap...

Living here 4 years, and we like it. Neither of us grew up here, and we're not with any Yeshiva, just a shul. We have friends. Our shul is mixed- some black hat, some kippah seruga, but pretty much all young professional. If you're looking for more RW, there's Chofetz Chaim. People here are generally friendly and non-Brooklyn-y (sorry, Brooklyn!) You have everything you might need here- kosher food, shopping, etc. Transportation is not ideal- you need to take a bus to the subway- but I've still managed to get away with not learning how to drive.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 9:24 am
SacN wrote:
Hi!

We've lived in kgh for a year, and are not part of a yeshiva, but are "black hatish types." DH and I are both from out of town originally, and are in NY for school etc...

Given that...
We like it here. It took some time for me to make friends because I'm not around here much except on shabbos, but DH met people at shul, through friends, etc right away, and I started to feel more at home about 8 months after we moved in. There are TONS of shuls for young charedi but not yeshiva people.

I like that there are tons of jewish/Kosher amenities in a neighborhood with all different types of jews, and that everyone seems to get along, more or less.

Like other people said, apartments are expensive but if you have the time to really look you can find what youre looking for.
What Shul do u go to??

mamommommy

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 9:32 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

actually, that area is elecchester, not KGH

Electchester starts by Parsons Blvd, and that area is technically Fresh Meadows. Up until that it's still KGH, and still plenty of Jews (except for the projects, right at the edge of KGH in that area), but more sporadic than closer to Main St. where it's more densely populated with Jews.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 16 2012, 11:26 pm
bump
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating