Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
FROM BIG HOUSE, TO TOWN HOUSEH

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 12:16 pm
We are moving from our house, to a townhouse, inorder to save up to be able to build a house, or buy my dream house. Can you tell me what its going to be like living in a development and a townhouse. Am I going to really regret this? I would like to hear all kinds of answers , both positive and negative. Thanks. Oh, ANd its in lakewood, WESTGATE.

amother

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 10:07 pm
bump???

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 10:20 pm
I moved from a large house to a small 2-BR apartment when I became BT, and had to give up my career and larger income, as a divorced mom with 2 small kids. It wasn't easy, but it did help me think about which of my possessions mattered most, and to teach my kids about what was really important in life.

Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2012, 11:55 pm
I moved from a brand new huge house into a town house and let me tell you, I never got used to it all these yrs later!
I hate being attached on both sides, the lack of privacy, the lack of space, teh lack of land around the house. the other home was so roomy, a place for everything and more. everyone had their own room- no fighting or talking at night, etc. and the kitchen- what a mechaya!
in the town house, I can hear e/thing that goes on from the basement, and smell whatever food is cooking downstairs.
I hear ppl running up and down steps from the houses on either side of me.
oh and did I mention the lack of privacy living in a developement! Rolling Eyes
in short- if I could go back in time, I'd never have moved into a town house and certainly not after living in such a spacious house to begin with.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 11:13 am
I moved from an end unit 5 bedroom townhouse to a 3+den apartment in Westgate for financial reasons. We've been here about 1 year.
there are pros & cons. Some pros: assuming you are renting- Westgate takes care of problems right away & grounds maintenence is taken care of (in our townhouse the landlord was horrible & we had to mow, etc) There are lots of really nice people here, all different types, and if you are moving into new construction, everyone is 'new' so everyone is looking to make new friends. It's a great neighborhood for the kids, lots of friends and some really nice playgrounds. Lots of minyanim so all the men seem to find a place. I found that moving to a smaller place just made me more organized. We did rent a garage for some extra storage (Westgate rents them for about $100/ month) so that is helpful.
Some cons: It is smaller & you will have less space. Moving itself is difficult. I now have people upstairs & sometimes they make noise (but they really try to be very good about it). If you have good friends where you are, it can be hard to adjust to making new frieds. Depending on who your neighbors are there can be less privacy (I personally have more because of my location).
Overall I think our move was definitely worthwhile & I hope you will, too. Maybe we'll even become friends.

(amother because lots of people know my move details)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating