Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
ATN:st louis, rochester detroit cleve st paul milwaulkee etc

Seraph

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 5:27 pm
Out of towners, I need your help. If you live in a sizeable out of town community that isn't huge though, (like not LA or Miami), but isn't too tiny (has to be large enough to support at least one or two, preferably 3 or more frum schools, can you help me out ASAP?
I'm writing an article on OOT living and was asked by my editor to include pricing on certain things OOT, and I am woefully ignorant. Please if you can answer how much all of the following cost where you live, and feel free to share anon if you don't want to give away your location...
I specifically am looking for answers from people who live in any of the following, or communities like it:

St Paul/Minneapolis, Milwaulkee, St Louis, Cleveland, Detroit, Cincinatti, Kansas City, Denver, Rochester, Boston, Atlanta, Houston, etc...

How much do these cost locally?

Rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the frum area.
Average size house to purchase in the frum area.
Tuition for right wing yeshivish elementary school (no internet or TV type if there is, otherwise the most yeshivish school available) and high school.
Tuition for MO elementary school and high school.
Half gallon of cholov yisroel milk.
Cholov yisroel cheese/yogurt.
Heimish hashgacha meat and chicken.

Thanks so much!

I need to get this submitted ASAP and I don't have this info yet. You're really helping me out!

amother

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 6:02 pm
I can try to answer for Boston, but other Boston ppl should definitely chime in!

Seraph wrote:

Rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the frum area.
Average size house to purchase in the frum area.
Tuition for right wing yeshivish elementary school (no internet or TV type if there is, otherwise the most yeshivish school available) and high school.
Tuition for MO elementary school and high school.

Rents in Brighton (the biggest frum area) are generally $2000-$3000 for a 3-bedroom apt, but there are a few cheaper and many that are more. Average size houses to purchase there are 3-4 bedrooms, often condos, with practically nothing below 500K. There are also a number of multi-family houses in that area, in the 800K range with 2-3 units. In Newton - a more MO area, it's much more suburban, basically all medium or large single family houses... a 3-5 bedroom house there rents for $3000 to $4000, or costs usually 650K and up to purchase.

I honestly don't know what the more right wing/yeshivish school costs, the MO school is 15k and up for elementary, up to around 22K for 12th grade.

Chalav Yisrael milk is 3.99/half gallon. (I have been known to buy 8 at a time for my MIL...) and it is ALWAYS frozen... maybe this woudn't occur to someone in NY.

CY cheeses are $8 for a huge bag of shredded mozzerella at Cosco, 8/lb for feta at Trader Joes, and usually $9-12 for a large size block of various cheeses (muenster, edam, swiss, etc.) at the kosher store. A small and not very good brie or camembert wheel will run you $10.

I couldn't give you accurate prices on "heimish" meats and poultry, as I eat Empire and the stuff packaged at the kosher store (which is definitely heimish, but not in the way you mean... Smile ) But that stuff is usually around $4/lb for whole or dark meat chicken, $5-6 for breasts, about $10/lb for brisket, $4-6/lb for ground beef, $10-18/lb for deli meats.

Sorry I have a more MO perspective, but I hope that helps a little...

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 11:47 pm
Here in Cleveland I THINK apartments are running about $800 a month now and houses are running anywhere from $50,000 to $280,000--- most are in the $100,000's. We rent a huge 3 bedroom house for $1200 plus water,sewer, electric, gas.

This is tuition for the modern school: http://www.fuchsmizrachi.org/e......ashx

according to this link, http://www.jecc.org/Community/.....5.pdf , as of 2005 tuition at Mosdos, the more right wing school, is $4000 to $8000 but that's as of 2005--- it's more now I'm certain.

I don't generally buy cholov yisroel stuff and I eat Empire chicken so I don't know the other numbers- sorry.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 3:33 pm
Scranton pa. is not on your list. We have one day school, 2 girls high schools, and an OOT boys yeshiva located here.

If this is enough and you want more info I will be glad to help out.

26teach

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 3:54 pm
Detroit is basically the same as Cleveland as far as houses/apt. To rent or buy. Tuition is also similar. It's about 8000$ for elementary and high school goes up to 10 at least. All in all it's very cheap living.

little_mage

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:23 pm
We're paying a little over 1100 a month for our two bedroom apartment in Philadelphia (Lower Marion/Bala Cynwyd area) but I think that's on the low side. I'm not entirely sure about houses, but I think I've seen them listed between 300,00 and 500,000, although I'm not sure how big those are. The cheapest price for a cholov israel milk is $3.79, although it's higher at most of the stores. I buy a two pound bag of shredded cheese for about $18 (although I've gotten it for under $14) and a three pound block of sliced American for about $19. CY butter is $5.19 for a tub. Last time I bought yougurt, it was 2.99 for a quart of plain. I don't know about tuition (we're not paying it yet) and I'm not sure what you mean by hemish meat, so I can't help you there. Still, I hope this information helps!

amother

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 8:53 pm
How much do these cost locally?

Rent for a 2-3 bedroom apartment in the frum area. $750-900

Average size house to purchase in the frum area. 120,000-160,000( though lately some that are shortsale or forclosure for between 29000-70000)

Tuition for right wing yeshivish elementary school (no internet or TV type if there is, otherwise the most yeshivish school available) and high school. Elementary is free if you are under a certain income level, the state pays for it as a voucher school,I think the level is something like $60,000 for a family of 5 though I'm not sure on that exact number though, likewise the girls bais yaakov is the same story. Not sure on yeshiva tuition though, its not covered under the voucher program.

Tuition for MO elementary school and high school. For MO elementary, if you live in the city limits tuition falls under the voucher program, if you live in the suburbs (where the mo community is) then tuition is around 10000/year but you can get scholarships based on need. There are no MO highschool

Costs 3.99 about

Cheese (shredded mozzarella and sliced meunster)you can buy at costco for a little less than 9 dollars for 2lbs of shredded mozzarella and a little more than 10 for the meunster. Otherwise you can get 8oz bags for 3-4 dollars. Yogurt is 1.35-1.49 a container.

This si a really broad question but cut up 8 piece is 2.49/lb usually, choelent meat is about 5.99/lb, other cuts may be cheaper or more expensive.

Hope this helps

amother

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 9:38 pm
I'm the previous amother...forgot to mention it was milwaukee

ElTam

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 5:15 pm
Cleveland
Half gallon CY milk is usually just above $3

For a package of chicken, I pay about $9 for four chicken legs with thigh attached.

Houses, it really, really depends which neighborhood you buy in. You can get a bank owned home for $50,000 in the most right-wing neighborhood. Lots and lots of houses in the low $100,000s.

In the middle of the road neighborhood, expect to pay more $130,000 or $180.000.

Neighborhood where most MO live is up of that, although middle neighborhood has some MO.
But the MO neighborhood has bigger houses. Average house in the heimish neighborhood is 3br 1 1/2 bath, small kitchen. MO neighborhood homes are much more expansive.

I buy my cheese in bulk, so I can't think of the price. Sorry!

On the tuitions, one thing to note is that even if you get a number for the right-wing school, you are really comparing apples to oranges, in my experience. The MO school here gives you the tuition and there are virtually no fees on top of it. One supply fee and a registration fee. And the school supply list is very short. From talking to my friends who send to the RW school, there are more fees and more supplies required.

All the schools in Cleveland really try to help with tuition assistance. Hard to quantify, but important to know.

Last edited by ElTam on Fri, Feb 17 2012, 12:14 am; edited 2 times in total

chavamom

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 10:58 pm
Kansas City has a Chabad preschool and no other Orthodox day schools. They have a "community day school" where all "streams" of Judaism are represented. I don't think it's a real option for most people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics