Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Renewing US drivers license

amother

Post Tue, Feb 14 2012, 5:50 pm
My NY drivers license is going to expire later this year but I live overseas. Does anyone know how I can renew it without having to appear in person at DMV office? I don't have family but have friends whose address I can use. This is the only drivers license I have so I can't let it expire. TIA

m in Israel

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 12:27 pm
You can usually renew it online or by mail (although there are some prerequisites). You can check out the NYS DMV website for information. The issue is that you need to do an eye exam, which has to be done by an authorized place -- there's a special form you can print out online and they fill it out. I just saw this posted recently on the NBN yahoo group -- maybe check into it:

Quote:
Eye World, located on King George in Jerusalem and also in Ramot Eshkol, has an American optometrist that will perform the exam for a U.S. drivers license. The phone numbers are as follows: King George- 02-625-0163, Ramot Eshkol- 02-582-8455. Call to find out the hours of this doctor.

amother

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:14 pm
Thank you for the information! My cousin is an optician in the States so he can probably help me out. So I don't need a proof of address? Also do I have to send in my current license if I apply on line or by mail?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:26 pm
If you need proof of address just have someone mail a letter addressed to you to the address you plan on using.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions