Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Wedding: ladies' room basket
1  2  3  Next

emama

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 3:40 pm
I am making my first daughter's wedding very soon and realize it is probably up to me to provide a "basket" of toiletries, etc. for the ladies' room. Other than personal hygiene items, (tampons, etc), bandaids, tylenol, what must I have in the basket?
Thanks for any ideas.

gomom!

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 3:59 pm
a brush and comb is nice-as are bobby pins and safety pins.

Queen18

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:02 pm
Some good items to include:

safety pins, mini sewing kit, a pair of stockings, brush/comb.

These items are not mandatory but have come in handy for me at other's simchas on occasion.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:04 pm
tide pen and a clorox bleach pen (I've been to a wedding where I ran searching for one when the kallah's gown got stained, hair spray, spray deodorant.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:09 pm
Nice idea! In addition to what you mentioned, I'd appreciate these just-in-case items: safety pins, knee highs or stockings, lipstick for a refresher, nail scissors, moist wipes, usued ponytail holders, unused combs or brushes, liquid soap if not in the ladies' room, alcohol gel, makeup remover, toothpicks, unused ladies' and kids' underwear (you never know)!

If you're not worried about kids taking unwarranted medication, you could have anti-allergy meds and asthma emergency meds - people often need these. A first-aid kit with bandages, alcohol, antiseptic cream. A thermometer. Or maybe it's safer to have a notice that first aid is available by finding So and So at table Such and Such.

A few diapers and baby wipes.

You may find that nothing gets used, but it's a thoughtful touch, and can really help in an emergency!

Liba

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:22 pm
Smile If you are putting out meds I would add motrin and or tylenol.

kb

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:28 pm
And clear nail polish for people whose tights get a run. Did anyone mention spray deodorant?

Mazel tov!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 8:26 pm
You're a phenomenal hostess!
Mazel Tov Tongue Out

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 10:02 pm
pads, tampons, liners
spray deodorant
static guard
toothpicks
makeup remover
different sized safety pins
sewing kit including small scissor
tylenol/ motrin
bandaids
first aid cream
clear nail polish
stockings in a few colors
hair brush
comb
ponytail holders
bobby pins

I dont think you need to put duct tape in the basket but bring it along in case the hem comes down on a gown.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jun 29 2015, 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 3:23 pm
I have never sene this anywhere. Not even weddings with wedding organizers have anything in the toilets except soap and tp... I don't think you should bother, people should bring their things.
Now, underwear?? no way lol!!

freidasima

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 3:35 pm
I'm with Ruchel. Never saw this in my life. When I go to a chasuneh except if it is in a posh hotel where I know the bathrooms I'm happy just to have TP in the stalls and paper towels to wipe my hands after washing. Soap? Almost never see that in a wedding hall here in EY...

emama

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 5:06 pm
Thank you all for your replies. As to the last few, let me explain. Where I live, there is always such a basket in the ladies' room, Seems like they are getting bigger, and more extravagant... For the life of me, I don't get it. I'm rather ambivalent about the whole thing. I figure we're adults and should bring what we need when we go someplace. It's only a five hour affair after all. But, I imagine I need to do something, and was getting stressed about it all, so asked for ideas from others.
After chatting with a friend, I now think I'll probably stick with my first idea and put out only pads/tampons, tylenol, bandaids and maybe safety pins.
Now, for the bride, I have a whole list of things that I will bring if anything goes wrong, but that goes in the bride's room!
I feel relieved already. Smile

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 5:49 pm
Here in Canada this a common addition in the woman's washroom at simchas.
They range in size and content from small/basic to fancy/elaborate.
It is not a necessity but a nice touch in my opinion.

smile85

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 5:52 pm
Yeah I think you got everything.

To those who have never seen it: It doesn't have to be fancy, but the stuff does come in handy! you never know when you'll need an extra spray of deodorant or a really embarrassing wardrobe malfunction...not all bathrooms have pads and tampons, and you never really know....

cm

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 8:03 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Nice idea! In addition to what you mentioned, I'd appreciate these just-in-case items: safety pins, knee highs or stockings, lipstick for a refresher, nail scissors, moist wipes, usued ponytail holders, unused combs or brushes, liquid soap if not in the ladies' room, alcohol gel, makeup remover, toothpicks, unused ladies' and kids' underwear (you never know)!

If you're not worried about kids taking unwarranted medication, you could have anti-allergy meds and asthma emergency meds - people often need these. A first-aid kit with bandages, alcohol, antiseptic cream. A thermometer. Or maybe it's safer to have a notice that first aid is available by finding So and So at table Such and Such.

You may find that nothing gets used, but it's a thoughtful touch, and can really help in an emergency!

Because many of the items are for show ("See how considerate I am as a hostess!") make sure to get things you might actually use at home so they don't all go to waste.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 3:23 pm
cm wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:

Because many of the items are for show ("See how considerate I am as a hostess!") .

Am I the only one who really couldn't care less to do things for show, especially in the TOILETS?

Isramom8

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 3:41 pm
I didn't do a hostess basket, but I made sure to have liquid soap and plenty of paper towels at the shul where my son was bar mitzva.

When I saw a hostess basket in the ladies' room at a chassuna, I was impressed. Since the OP seems to be doing this in any case, I posted items I thought of that might be helpful. It's not that I expect to find this at simchas.

I do try to put one in my own bathroom when we have seminary girls for Shabbos, and some nosh and water in their room, so that they don't have to traipse uncomfortably around the house for stuff.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 4:06 pm
I'm with Ruchel and FS: this sounds absurd. But if you're already doing it, why not consider putting out bags so that people can take home party favors from the bathroom?
All I think a person should expect from a bathroom is a clean toilet, toilet paper, maybe toilet seat covers, soap and paper towels.
Mazal tov, I'm glad people have things like this to worry about LOL

Isramom8

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 4:19 pm
We saw one hall where we agreed with the person in charge that if we were to book it, we could stipulate that a staff member had to make sure to keep it clean throughout the simcha. At least that.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Feb 18 2012, 4:21 pm
Tamiri wrote:
I'm with Ruchel and FS: this sounds absurd. But if you're already doing it, why not consider putting out bags so that people can take home party favors from the bathroom?

Rolling Laughter

I've also never seen this (though we made sure there were paper towels and soap at ds's bar mitzva).

What about:
An extra dress (in all sizes) in case someone rips or stains theirs?

This is just absurd IMHO. We are adults. Really, when you go to a simcha for five hours, or even five days, don't you take what you might need? Now so as to be one up on the Cohens, we need to teach our dds that they don't need any responsibility in life at all - not even to take a pad in their bag in case they get their period, or a diaper if they have a baby with them.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics