Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How Do YOU Save Money?

skymile

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 1:08 pm
the post about shortcuts for the household got me wondering- how do you save money? do you clip coupons? use hand-me-downs? mas transit?
here is my major money saving idea:
I've posted this a few times before but here is the following tip again.

about 2 years ago I read about appliances pulling electricity EVEN when turned OFF. it was posted on ConEd's website. said that 50% of electricity is used just from having the things plugged in. so since June 2010, we have been keeping all our appliances (esp the big ones) unplugged. we only plug them in when we need to use them. that includes AC, microwave oven, washer/dryer, stove... the only thing that always stays plugged in is the fridge.
I saw a difference a year later when I got my bill. on every ConEd bill you can see how much electricity you used the same month a year previous. that's when I saw that what we've been doing a whole year is finally paying off! my bill was almost cut in half!
next, I didn't know how to save on my light switches. you can't just unplug them! so we started shutting all the fuses every time we went away for long periods of time (excluding the one that the fridge used). this prevents the meter from running at all...
2 months ago we took it to the next level. we shut the fuses every time we don't need them! that means night time and daytime when the house is empty. last month my electricity bill was $50.00!!!!!! (compared to over $150.00)

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 2:01 pm
Great Ideas I think I will try some of those. My savings is with using lots of coupons I never ever shop without one. And I only buy what I must have no extras. I have learned how to clip coupons like the extreme ones and save tons of money. I also sell whatever I don't need on ebay so I make money on past purchases as well. I even get a discount at the Kosher store that I shop at with a Sinia card which I highly recommend they partner with lots of stores and offer discounts. It's in conjunction with Sinai Acadamy you can give them a call and for a small investment you can save money and it's tax deductible too! I save between 5 and 10% depending on the store.

chevron

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 2:17 pm
wow that is super amazing to know. oh gosh when I tell this to super frugal dh we will have to start doing this................I'm going to think about it.

imaima

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 2:25 pm
luv2cook4eva wrote:
the post about shortcuts for the household got me wondering- how do you save money? do you clip coupons? use hand-me-downs? mas transit?
here is my major money saving idea:
I've posted this a few times before but here is the following tip again.

about 2 years ago I read about appliances pulling electricity EVEN when turned OFF. it was posted on ConEd's website. said that 50% of electricity is used just from having the things plugged in. so since June 2010, we have been keeping all our appliances (esp the big ones) unplugged. we only plug them in when we need to use them. that includes AC, microwave oven, washer/dryer, stove... the only thing that always stays plugged in is the fridge.
I saw a difference a year later when I got my bill. on every ConEd bill you can see how much electricity you used the same month a year previous. that's when I saw that what we've been doing a whole year is finally paying off! my bill was almost cut in half!
next, I didn't know how to save on my light switches. you can't just unplug them! so we started shutting all the fuses every time we went away for long periods of time (excluding the one that the fridge used). this prevents the meter from running at all...
2 months ago we took it to the next level. we shut the fuses every time we don't need them! that means night time and daytime when the house is empty. last month my electricity bill was $50.00!!!!!! (compared to over $150.00)

do you still need to unplug everything if you shut all the fuses?

skymile

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 3:54 pm
no. unless the fuse that has the fridge has another outlet that does have appliance. like my microwave sits on top the fridge so I usually plug it into the same outlet. that has to be unplugged.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics