Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
I'm not eating THAT for supper!

mummy-bh

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 10:01 am
You know that awful feeling - you made a dinner that you thought would be popular and one or two of the kids object very loudly. "It's not fair, you always make food that I don't like!" and then they ask for something else (usually pizza, in my house!).

So, what do you do when this happens?

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 10:11 am
Ask the child(ren) what s/he/they want for the next meal.

Mitzvahmom

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 10:14 am
My kids do that also... we sit down on sundays and try to plan the week..

It's not easy because things change sometimes

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 10:19 am
With my 14 year old it often helps if she actually does part of the cooking. She tends to be more willing to eat what she's made or help make.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 10:21 am
IT HAPPENS MORE WITH MY TEENS THAN WITH THE LITTLE KIDS BY US........

We usually have bagels, cereal and milk, and frozen pizza in the house.

tziviakayla

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 2:03 pm
I only make things I know the kids will eat! I make a main and one or two side dishes. The kids always like the main and choose one or both of the sides! Their big favorite is baked mac and cheese with a salad. I make things only once a week , so they don't get sick of the same thing! I there is a something I want to make for me and dh, I make something for the kids I know they will eat, but they always have the option of trying what we are eating, as I make enough for everyone!

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 2:45 pm
They can take a bowl of cereal or go hungry, and they can request a diff. menu for the next night.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 2:50 pm
That won’t help much if the kid has “changed his mind”.

HealthCoach

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 8:24 pm
My 4 and 6 year olds can either eat or go to sleep.
My 10 and 9 year olds can eat or not eat, and we have a suggestion box.

Tila

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 2:18 pm
welcome to TILA'S DINER. last night my daughter had tamale pie (she is my adventourous eater), my six year old had 2 bagels with cream cheese and a whole cumber, and my eldest had pizza made on a pita bread. I can apply to a restaurant because suppertime is insane!! I know I am a real push over.

lubcoralsprings

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 2:31 pm
Sometimes I don't make my kids eat what I make. It depends what I it is. If I make something new and exotic then I let them choose a different supper such as pizza and fries, hotdogs, or something else that is easily whipped together. If they "just don't want it" then I tell them they can eat it or have a bowl of cereal. I really don't like to force my kids to eat something they don't want because I know sometimes I am "just not in the mood to eat certain foods."

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 3:55 pm
Aha Tila that's exactly what I meant. I was asking if you give alternative meals, or if you run a "like it or lump it" style kitchen.
If I gave my kids free choice of what to eat, we still wouldn't be able to come up with something the whole family would like. I do try to make variations, for example tonight I made soup (most of the kids liked it), then pasta, the kids could choose either cheese or tomato sauce or both or neither; they came into the kitchen to make their own. (Problem now is, my hubby hates hates pasta so I have to think of something else for him!)
Once or twice a week I try to have rachmonus on my husband and make a 'proper' supper, that's when I have to get tough! Apart from one or two meals, the whole family cannot agree on what to have so I make one thing, then whoever objects to that meal is free to go make themself a sandwich.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children