Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Which job is more difficult/needing more skills?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 1:46 pm
out of occupational therapy, and nursing, which one would you say is harder work?
like for example, to me, nursing seems like it involves taking blood and things like that which some people wouldn't like.
occupational therapy is more about relating to others (I mean obviously nursing is too), but not in the way like helping an elderly person out in their home or working with a special needs child.
also, in terms of the learning, which one is easier?

which one do you think is more demanding on the whole?

de_goldy

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 3:22 pm
nursing is definitely more demanding.

4Sisters

Post Thu, Feb 23 2012, 6:08 pm
TOTALLY agree with de-goldy. If you're an RN, you have a much more physically demanding job than if you're an OT. Also, you may, at times, have someone's life in your hands, which is unlikely as an OT, so it's more mentally/spiritually demanding as well.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 10:55 am
I would go for occupational therapy. it's more flexible and easy going, you can work with children if you want to, and it's still very rewarding. but if you think nursing is more for you then go for it

amother

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 11:01 am
nursing. but what kind of nurse? one who works in a hospital? or a school nurse? or one who works in a dentist's room?

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 4:39 pm
Deleted.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Jan 05 2016, 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

jeweled

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 5:13 pm
It honestly depends on what setting you work in. I work as an occupational therapist in a skilled nursing facility. I do a ton of physical labor (helping patients transfer out of bed, to and from chairs, toileting, etc.). The nurses are great but they do a lot less physical labor. They mainly give meds, administer ivs/feeding tubes, and change wound dressings. The GNA's (nursing assistants) do more of the physical labor (lifting, changing, etc.). An OT in a school (unless for special needs, where you might work with heavier/older children) has a lot less phyiscal demands. In hospitals the physcial labor amongst both professions is pretty much equal. Outpatient for both professions is also going to be a lot less physically demanding.

As far as schooling goes, nursing is definitely more competitive and intense.

chocolate chips

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 5:45 pm
Nursing is definitely more demanding than OT. OT is sessions, relating person to person, calm sessions.

Nursing can be really boring at times and extremely active at others, taking blood, washing patients, changing beds, checking machines etc.
Also nursing shifts are much longer and tiring

cm

Post Sat, Feb 25 2012, 6:30 pm
I don't know what the coursework is like for either discipline, but nursing is a lot shorter.

There are several entry points into nursing - a BSN is commonly required by employers nowadays, but you can still get a two-year diploma if you want to. Higher education is available but not required for entry level work.

To be an OT, you need at least a Master's degree.
http://aota.org/students/FAQDegrees.aspx

amother

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 5:38 am
it depends on what kind of person you are. there are different demands in both fields. also, to be an occupational therapist, you will most likely have to work with special needs children, sometimes those with very severe special needs, physical problems and mental retardation, if you are aware of that and it's what you want to do that's fine
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics