Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Junk from MM
1  2  Next

imab

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 2:54 pm
Hi,
What do people do with all their MM junk (I save all the chocolate for me and the kids - but I don't want a bunch of bisli bamba chips in the house.)

cm

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 3:01 pm
Share it at work.

Have a "Shabbos party" this week and redistribute it back to the neighborhood kids.

Swap with friends.

Plenty of people on imamother "give to the cleaning lady."

MamaBear

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 3:01 pm
Some of it we actually dump but most of it we give away to my husband's coworkers. I don't feel like we're wasting food since some of it is so junky it's almost not real food.

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 3:05 pm
Give it to my students as prizes over the next couple of weeks. Unless it's homemade, then I usually just toss it and feel a little bad but not bad enough.

dee's mommy

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 3:08 pm
After Shabbos, I usually send a bunch with my husband so he can share it with his co workers.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 3:14 pm
I love those small bags of snacks because my kids take it to school. It's the candy I don't like because I only allow it on shabbos and only 2 candies.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:03 pm
Think outside the box. You can use bamba is a salad, right?

I keep the sucking candies at work and use them all year round. Cookies or wafers can be made into a no-cook pie crust.

Likker is put away and will last forever; if nothing else you can take it to shul on Simchas Torah.

Nuts are eaten as snacks, taken to a birthday farbrengen, or ground up and used in baking or in granola.

kwim ?

seeker

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:29 pm
CM those are fine ideas, but some candy is just seriously JUNK. There is just no hope for some of the forms of garbage that they make with sugar these days. I wouldn't even give it to my own kids, but I see my students bring this trash from home all the time so if they're eating it anyway and their parents endorse it, I may as well not be the party pooper.

Root-beer flavored gum lolly anyone? Cupcakes that appear to have been made, decorated, and hand-delivered by a 2-year-old? Gummy object in the theme of your neighbor's choice? Sorry, not crossing my lips in any form at any time.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:36 pm
Oh, I see what you mean ... well, could you use the gummies or candies to decorate a birthday cake?

cm

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 4:58 pm
I guess we all have different ideas of what "junk" is (hence all the arguments about what makes a suitable MM over the past few weeks). Personally, I wouldn't touch the bags of chips or popcorn, but I enjoy trying different kinds of sweet candy once a year - although I'm not fond of gummies myself.

If there's anything no one in my family wants, and enough total so it looks like a nice donation in its own right, I would put it all in a bowl in the break room at work. I guarantee you, there won't be much left over after a day or two!

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 8:14 pm
One man's food...

We got a bar of sugarless chocolate. Nobody here will touch it.

Tova

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 8:41 pm
Serious junk (as mentioned, open to interpretation; for me it means anything artificial like food coloring) that was NOT given from the moros to the kids (that I will let them have) goes to the garbage or my husband brings to a drop off place in yeshiva. I do not believe bal tashchis applies to this stuff.

Chips, hamentaschen, chocolate etc. goes in cabinet or freezer for snacks.

Grape juice gets used or put away.

Challah - will last us until Pesach.

Homemade stuff like soups, dips, salads, some Chinese food, hot dog, etc. are currently in the fridge. I'll deal with it tomorrow and freeze what will be eaten.

db815

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 9:09 pm
I just dumped a bunch of junk a cant bare to have this stuff in my cabinets...some stuff should not be considered food!!
I know its absolutley terrible to throw food away, there are starving ppl out there, and I really dont throw things out. I just dont believe in eating certain kinds of junk- I mean real real junk (not chocolate), and I dont feel like giving this unhealthy garbage to someone else. I hope I dont get an aveira for throwing it out.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 9:20 pm
This year I only got one mm that had REAL junk like almost inedible candy stuff or something. Gonna dump those few pieces but everything else may not be good for us but it's not junk: chocolate, cookies, cakes etc..

eschaya

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 10:04 pm
Anything I don't want around the house gets taken to work. Seriously, it's gone in one shift. This way everyone gains.

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 10:12 pm
If it's junk that comes packaged, why not donate it? My local grocery has a bin in front for food that goes to a food bank... just throw your bags of chips or candy in there. Better than throwing away.

If you're getting MM from me, you get tasty dips.

I love junkfood, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 10:55 pm
- My son's school will take sealed packages to use as incentives (not that I love that but if they will be doing it they might as well get it for free)

- A school in Lakewood takes unopened packages of food and sells it after Pesach really cheap as a fundraiser (they also take people's leftover chametz)

- A girl's kiruv organization in town has bins to collect nosh to use at shabbatons.

2 of my kids just inhaled candy as it was handed to them so there is nothing left of that - but my oldest has a bag of his stuff, and almost nothing in there is real food. I told him that we'll put it away and every day he can pick one thing to take to school as a snack. I think it is a good compromise so that it will at least be spread out.

I am happy to say that we got a fair amount of real good food.

ElTam

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 11:19 pm
I bag most of it up and dole it out little by little as treats up until Pesach. Put one little piece in kids lunches, etc.

The stuff I don't think we will get to, DH takes to work and puts out for anyone to take. There are frum people in his company, but none in his department.

graphixmom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 11:50 pm
I keep some things for my kids and the rest I divide into two piles. the opened stuff and baked stuff go with my husband to BMG coffee room (he says they're gone in a second) and the closed stuff I give to tomchei shabbos!

graphixmom

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 11:51 pm
To those of you who want to get rid of your kids nosh, I have a friend who 'buys off' most of her kids nosh. she gives them money and they give her their nosh and it works out perfectly for them and she's happy her kids are not eating all the junk they collected. I think its a fantastic idea!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics