Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Stops on the way to Niagra Falls
1  2  Next

racz

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 8:11 am
We are driving to Niagra Falls for Chol Hamod from Baltimore, looking for stop on the way up.

chanchy123

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 8:14 am
Niagra Falls outlet shopping mall.
I don't know if this counts as an attraction, but shopping there is great.

Frenchfry

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 8:31 am
If you're driving past rochester, with kids, the Strong Museum - the National Museum of Play, is fantastic. Its not really a place to stop for an hour, you can spend a whole day there and not get to it all, but if you're looking to break up the trip and do a whole attraction, its fantastic I'd say up to age 11 at least, starting from toddler age

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 8:36 am
The Corning Museum of Glass is a nice place to spend a few hours.

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 12:10 pm
Howe Cavern if you follow the thruway the whole way

In buffalo there is a zoo and a science museum. In Niagara Falls, NY there is an aquarium and Old Fort Niagara, as well of a more 'natural' (ie, not jam packed with souvenir shops and glitz) view of the falls, which you can stand over. In Niagara Falls, On, there is a ferris wheel, maid of the mist, butterfly conservatory and more 'touristy' things than you could ever have time for

sky

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 1:44 pm
Letchworth State Park - Amazing waterfalls - obviously not as big as Niagra, but there are a lot less crowds so its really enjoyable.
Watkins Glen State Park - hike through a gorge. I'm not sure when the gorge trail opens up for the summer. It is not worth it to go when closed.

Howe caverns is also really cool. Its very cold so bundle up especially if you have a baby with you.

None of these work with a stroller. I've used a baby carrier at some of these.

racz

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 2:25 pm
Howe Caverns is out of the way from Baltimore, the glass factory looks great and it is on the way.
Thanks guys- keep the ideas coming.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 2:29 pm
I dont know if you are planning to stay overnight but rochester has a lot of hotels just off the highway, and if you use priceline you can get a room for about $50/night.
I've done this a couple of times already. rochester is an easier area than most to get a very good deal on priceline.

sweet

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 2:52 pm
If going with kids, then def. Stop at the children's museum in binghamton.
Iv been to the museum un Rochester too, and this museum is way better!!!

lech lecha08

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 2:52 pm
It's a little out of your way but the Crayola Crayon factory is in Easton, PA

racz

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 4:12 pm
We did Crayola years ago and it was great., the kids are 14, 12 and 3, so I don't think my big kids would enjoy Crayola.

spring13

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 4:52 pm
I haven't actually been there, but Clyde's Reptiland is on the way from Baltimore to Niagara Falls if you're taking Route 15 north, and I've always wanted to check it out. If your kids will go for it, it seems like a cool way to spend an hour or two.

If you want longer, the Strong Museum of Play in Rochester really can't be beat.

emhabanim

Post Mon, Mar 12 2012, 9:57 pm
We've done the Corning factory and Watkins Glen numerous times and have always loved them both. Our kids have gone as babies, as preschoolers and as teens and all have enjoyed both options.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:41 am
Any ideas where to stop to sleep for Shabbos with a minyan nearby on the way up to Niagra Falls?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 1:14 pm
You can spend shabbos in Rochester. It is on the way to the falls, not out of your way at all!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 5:05 pm
How far is Rochester to Niagra? And what hotels are closest to the shul? TIA

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 7:07 pm
We stayed in Buffalo; there's a frum community there. I think it was just about 30 miles from the falls.

spring13

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 7:13 pm
Rochester is about and hour and a half from Niagara. There are a couple of hotels down the street from shuls - check out the Holiday Inn Express on Monroe Avenue. It's close a Wegmans supermarket with lots of food.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 9:54 pm
We want yo lrave New York City Friday morning so I prefer driving less on Friday.

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jul 23 2012, 10:39 pm
nyc to rochester is five hours - so if you leave by 10 you should get in around three. the nearest hotels to the shuls are quite a walk though - a good 40 minutes
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics