Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving within the same town

pobody's nerfect

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 8:55 pm
So iyH in just 2 and a half weeks we'll be moving to a house! it's only a few blocks from our current apartments (yup, you read that right- we have 2 apartments Smile ) and we're REALLY excited for all the space we'll be getting!
we'll be moving in right before pesach which means NO CLEANING which is really cool.
now, anyone done this before and have tips?

my biggest question is about the breakables. when I moved out here from queens, I wrapped all my china and glass etc. in bubble wrap and padded the boxes. that took AGES and by now I've acquired lots more breakable stuff! since it's only a minute drive away, and we'll be moving over a process of days (actually, we'll have our apartment til the end of april so we have a really long time to stretch it out if we so please), would it be totally crazy to just put small amounts of the breakable things on the floor of my van and drive it over? whaddya think?

any other tips?

Kumphort

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 8:57 pm
Not at all, when we did a similar move, we did the same thing, I would even put the things away when you move, so that you are not stuck with an overwhelming job after you move.

shanie5

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 10:17 pm
I would lightly cushion them with towels or sheets or pillows that we would take over at the same time. Just in case.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Mar 14 2012, 10:17 pm
I still would pack up the breakables well. My husband moved all of that himself, but you bet I packed it all up well.

The only thing that broke on our move was our glass name plate that broke while trying to remove it Smile

wifey

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 12:22 am
Take packing paper and stack a few plates/bowls etc or wrap each serving piece in paper to be on the safe side. If you want to top it put every 3-5 in bubble tape after papering.

Post Thu, Mar 15 2012, 12:42 am
Don't do that with your breakables. My mom gave me her collectables to move across town to my house. I told her I would come back the next day with proper things to cushion them. She insisted. I had to stop short. You can guess the rest. I have not told my Mom because she would be very sad. I glued the pieces together so she can't see. Her sight is not what it was anyway.

My sister loves all these things which I don't. After my mom's 120, I plan to give this stuff to my sister. I feel so terrible for my sister these things were damaged. Some of them were quite expensive. My sister still wants them because they are her mothers

If your things have either sentimental or monetary value, pack them carefully. I don't think my mother was even ten minutes away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating