Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
At what age do your kids sit in the front seat of the car?
1  2  Next

groisamomma

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 8:22 am
Ds and dd drive me nuts when they see the neighbor's kids sitting in the front seat. They are 6 and 7 and belong in the back seat, but that's not my business.

How old do they have to be in NJ before I can stop hearing the whining?

Liba

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 8:29 am
My understanding is, as long as they are in booster seats (which they must be if they are under eight and under eighty pounds, no matter where they are in the car) it is legal if there is no other seat for them.

In E"Y they would have to be 13, but I am not easily finding any NJ law.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 9:02 am
If the airbags turn off.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 9:03 am
I don't allow my 6.5 yo in the front seat and won't for a good while. Maybe around 10 or so.

GetReal

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 10:02 am
Don't know what the laws are but growing up, the law in our state was 12.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 10:04 am
When Toulouse happened they sent policement to dd's school (and all the others) for end of class, and about half of cars were stopped because of improper car seat, seat belt, number of children or sitting.

cm

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 10:50 am
I can't find NJ law on the internet for you, but I think the general rule is around age 12-13, best if airbags are disabled on the passenger side.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 11:47 am
It doesn't make sense to have a blanket rule for 12 if airbags are disabled. That's the main reason kids were told not to sit in the front till 12. And 12 is pretty arbitrary because you'll have big 11 year olds and small 13 year olds.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 11:49 am
It shouldn't be about the age, it should be about the child already being the size of an adult. But when I asked who should sit in the front, my 14 year old son or my 12 year old daughter who is taller, they said my son. What

elf123

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 11:54 am
I don't have the time to look through this now (hmm, I wonder why!) but this is the page you need to look at
http://www.nj.gov/lps/hts/chil......html

I live in NJ too and need to read up on this. I do not let my 11-year-old sit in the front seat and he argues about it. I will tell you that he is very skinny and that factors in. Weight and age both do. And another thing is to check when the child sits in the front seat, most cars have a sensor which will light up on the dashboard "passenger airbag on/off" so you know what's going on. Read the page I linked as well as your car's owners manual.

JB

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 11:58 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If the airbags turn off.

And only for extenuating circumstances.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 12:29 pm
JB wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
If the airbags turn off.

And only for extenuating circumstances.
I was adding to the post above: "it is legal if there is no other seat for them. " Smile

forever21

Post Wed, Apr 04 2012, 12:33 pm
my skinny 10 yr old is only 65 lbs. At that rate it'll be awhile before she can sit in the front seat! If the law is 10 yrs old and 80 lbs does that mean 10 yr old generally weigh that much?

shanie5

Post Thu, Apr 05 2012, 12:47 am
My pediatrician told me that if the child can sit with their rear end against the back of the seat, and their feet reach the floor, then it is safe for them to sit in the front seat. regardless of age. So I follow what he said.

I only asked after constantly arguing with my kids about their not sitting in the front seat until a certain age. I lost the argument!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 09 2012, 11:09 pm
My feet still don't reach the floor Sad

ValleyMom

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 10:22 am
My son is 11 1/2 and he still rides in the back of the van.
I'd rather be extra safe.
What's the big deal in riding up front?

Barbara

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 11:52 am
ValleyMom wrote:
My son is 11 1/2 and he still rides in the back of the van.
I'd rather be extra safe.
What's the big deal in riding up front?

Some kids beg to ride in front, thinking its more interesting, more fun, or makes them grown up.

Other times, its a matter of space.

If I desperately needed another seat (ie, the school bus didn't come, and I was driving lots of kids to school), the largest child, past age 9 or so, sat in front.

Other than that, I guess we started allowing front seat at about age 12, but I'd still prefer back seat. As an interesting aside, I watched one of DS' friends, who is about 6' tall, immediately get into the back seat of his dad's car and buckle up, although no one was in the front passenger seat. So to whomever doesn't allow front seat, you're clearly not alone.

MrsDash

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 12:32 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

You're not alone LOL

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 9:49 pm
yoshi wrote:
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:

You're not alone LOL

I know a woman who was too petite to keep an airbag in her car. She had hers disabled for her safety!

acccdac

Post Tue, Apr 10 2012, 11:29 pm
The only time my son sits in the front seat is once a week carpool, and only if everyone comes that day.

From what I have seen is if there is a seat in the back available then that is where they belong. I have a mantra I use for all kids, "in my car you have to use a booster".

For example, they just changed the laws where I live and I was not sure what my sister in law does in her car. My nephew came with us this week for a chol hamoed trip, I didnt ask him anything I simply said, "here's a booster cause in my car you have to wear one."

I use to tell the same thing to my carpool kids. One child stopped using a booster in his mother's car and he said to me "but I dont use one anymore" my response was "in my car all children under (whatever age) have to use a booster"

my son who does get to sit in the front once a week cause of the carpool situation gets the same answer "we dont need the front seat so you're not sitting there". I say it calmly and in a tone that says this is not up for discussion. I dont "give into" their whining of it being more fun or exciting. I respond to such stuff with a same old same old tone "thats nice, now go sit in the back"
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children