Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving to central florida from NYC-need advice
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Apr 15 2012, 7:47 pm
So here is the situation.We live in NYC now
My husband ,B"H,makes a very nice living, a large chunk of which goes to pay for NYS taxes,NYC taxes,various state and city utility surcharges,cellphone state and city charges,etc. Our property taxes doubled in the past 6 years.We are not saving for retirement at all and are living month to month
My husband works from home and we found a very nice community in Central Florida(no income tax.much lower cost of living). We are both extroverts and its not difficult for us to meet new people.We also found a school for the kids that we really like.Still,I am nervous.We re leaving our family and community behind.It's just that NYS is so expensive!
Can anyone else share their experience with a long distance move? Any practical advice> I really appreciate any feedback I can get!
TIA

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 4:53 am
Noone here has made a move purely for financial reasons? Was it worth it?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 7:40 am
bump

flowerpower

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 7:42 am
No experience or advice but wanted to wish you luck. I am sure you will make friends and adjust well.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 8:53 am
Thank you

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 9:37 am
I am actually very curious as to which Central Florida community you found. I currently live in Central Florida as well and I have to say that most of us (who live here for job reasons, so I guess it is a financial reason) have very different opinions on this place...
But to give you some advice, since you are extroverts I would tell you to befriend everyone you can. Each person has "hidden" advice as to where kosher food can be found, etc. Like when my DH and I first moved here there was no directory or sheet of paper where the kosher food was and each person we asked had another place for us to find certain things. We still go to South Florida to get most of our meats, fish, and cheese.
Are you planning on staying there long term? If so, I am really curious if you are considering boarding schools for your children or even homeschooling.
It is definitely cheaper than living in NY...and after living in NY as well, I probably would not choose to move back just after these better cost of living here and no income tax, etc. So yes on that part!
We probably didn't move as much stuff as you did from NY...but we called a bunch of different moving companies and chose the one that gave us the best quote. I'm not sure what other specific advice you are looking for, but I would love to help if I can.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 9:46 am
Thanks,a mother.We are going to the Palm Harbor(Tampa Bay area),which I have heard good things about(except lack of restaurants) .As far as school,we decided to give Ben Gamla Pinnelas a try. There will be a religious studies program every day after school from 2 to 430.It's a huge leap of faith and a very big change. I just think that NY cost of living,particularly cost of MO day schools ,is unsustainable.This seems like a reasonable alternative

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 10:26 am
Wow! I wish we could speak! (But I may end up meeting you soon Wink ) We live close-ish to Palm Harbour (I go up there to get my fall done - great lady there!) The Ben Gamla option sounds interesting (yes, I guess you put it well as a big leap of faith). We've spoken about it, but have some time to make a decision.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 3:48 pm
I am curious to know more about the ben gamla option. Who is doing the religious instruction- are you sure it is actually religious? In the past some of the schools run by ben gamla have had religious intruction was covered by solomon shechter type programs etc..

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 8:56 am
amother wrote:
I am curious to know more about the ben gamla option. Who is doing the religious instruction- are you sure it is actually religious? In the past some of the schools run by ben gamla have had religious intruction was covered by solomon shechter type programs etc..

As far as my understanding is, the religious instruction is independent of the school itself (the school would lose its funding if the school were providing it). It is being run by JUMP (Jewish Upbringing Matters Program) and they bring in religious instructors (I was brought up as an option for an instructor, but I probably won't do it). This is run by Orthodox Rabbis as far as it was explained to me.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 9:03 am
So I am not sure what level of religiuos education you are interested in...but I only recommend you do very thorough research about the jump program and the teachers.though I live in s. Florida, I have close friends in tampa aby who have been telling me about the school and I had a very different understanding from them.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
So I am not sure what level of religiuos education you are interested in...but I only recommend you do very thorough research about the jump program and the teachers.though I live in s. Florida, I have close friends in tampa aby who have been telling me about the school and I had a very different understanding from them.

I'm confused. This is independent from the school.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 9:42 am
Also they haven't even started it yet. How do your friends know more about the school than other people?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 4:27 pm
I also live in the area, as far as I know it is not being taught by orthodox, it is a JCC run program

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 5:40 pm
amother wrote:
I also live in the area, as far as I know it is not being taught by orthodox, it is a JCC run program

That's weird. That's not what they told us over here at our shul. I'll have to let the Rabbis here know. I'll also have to ask a friend of ours who is very involved with putting this program together. He was the one who met with the Orthodox Rabbi who helps run the program and assured us that it would be a religious oriented program (and not at all being run by the JCC).
Seems to be some major miscommunication happening.

Just out of curiosity, who is your source information for this?

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 6:40 pm
Here are some links that you can read:

http://www.templebnaiisraelclw.....wItem

http://www.bengamlapinellas.com/?page_id=40

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 6:41 pm
heres the direct quote from their website:

Q: Do you provide a before and after school care program?
A: No The JCC will provide after care until 6pm. Please contact Ellen Katzman at 727-321-6100 for more information

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 6:47 pm
Our curriculum will focus on Torah, Tefillah, holidays and celebrations, Jewish ethics and values (midot), history and heroes, and a special Kabbalat Shabbat program on Fridays. I plan to incorporate both formal and informal educational methods, including reading, writing, discussion, storytelling, arts and crafts, drama, music, and cooking.

If you'd like to call to discuss anything, you can reach me at 727-424-0513.
Good luck with your move to town.
Shabbat Shalom,

I am the OP.Above is the copy of the email I got from the Program Director. I m also told that there are some Chbad and MO children already enrolled.

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 6:53 pm
Op again.

I am not deluding myself. My husband and I both realize that Ben Gamla is not a yeshiva by any stretch of the imagination.However, tuition is concern. We are both making a decent living,but the cost of tuition is 30 k after taxes(we have several children). We would much rather put that money away and use it for a rainy day,family trip to Israel,sleep away camp,etc. Ben gamla will provide Ivrit and secular studies.If we feel that the Judaic afterschool program is lacking, we will try to hire a tutor(for several families). Another factor -the Pinellas county day school closed and many of those families will flock to BG

amother

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 6:57 pm
I'm getting a little confused as to who is posting what. If the previous 3 posts were from the same person then it was contradictory. I've been on those websites before, those aren't sources I'm referring to.

OP- is that message from the JUMP program?

amother who posted those links and the quote about an after school care program: this isn't an after school care program. She is referring to something else. She is referring to after care. The after school program isn't a care program. It is a program that parents are paying to supplement their kids Jewish education. The two are not the same thing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating