Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
What's a great gift for 6-8 year old israeli chareidi boys?

simchamommy

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:00 pm
what's something (moderately priced) that boys that age would really enjoy?

Inspired

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:03 pm
moderately priced in israel or america? For one boy or 2 to share?

shalhevet

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:11 pm
Lego/ Meccano/ Clics
Comics book (chareidi)
Puzzle/ crossword/ wordfind book (chareidi appropriate)
CDs with stories, parsha eg Rav Tehilla
A wristwatch
Torch

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:14 pm
As one who has had to give such gifts to my GS's in EY, I'd suggest:
watch
nice ballpoint pen
MP3 player (if parent's approve)

It may also depend as to whether or not he can read English (likelihood is not).

jewels

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:15 pm
Not sure if these boys are athletic but we brought my 8 and 10 year old nephews sport equipment the last time we visited them in EY. Baseball bats, mitts, balls, a soccer ball, and a football. My sil had mentioned that's the one thing that's hard to find cheap but still good quality.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:20 pm
jewels wrote:
Not sure if these boys are athletic but we brought my 8 and 10 year old nephews sport equipment the last time we visited them in EY. Baseball bats, mitts, balls, a soccer ball, and a football. My sil had mentioned that's the one thing that's hard to find cheap but still good quality.

In my DD's chareidi (Israeli) community in Yerushalayim, sports are totally not allowed.

jewels

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:25 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
jewels wrote:

In my DD's chareidi (Israeli) community in Yerushalayim, sports are totally not allowed.

My sil lives in the very charedi area of RBS. I'm assuming her boys only play at home not at school.

Inspired

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:28 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
jewels wrote:

Yeah. Sports and charedi don't generally go together.
I don't know very many charedim that would know what to do with baseball equipment and soccer is a huge no no in many communities because culturally it screams israeli chiloni culture. Maybe a non sports specific ball- like the ones we played machanayim with back in school in the US.

My boys at that age love playmobil, books, games that are age appropriate, puzzles, 8 year old might like a watch. Arts and craft stuff if they are into that.

jewels

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 4:36 pm
Inspired wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
jewels wrote:

Yeah. Sports and charedi don't generally go together.
I don't know very many charedim that would know what to do with baseball equipment and soccer is a huge no no in many communities because culturally it screams israeli chiloni culture. Maybe a non sports specific ball- like the ones we played machanayim with back in school in the US.

My boys at that age love playmobil, books, games that are age appropriate, puzzles, 8 year old might like a watch. Arts and craft stuff if they are into that.

Funny because all my dh's siblings that live there are extremely charedi (one only lets tights not socks after 3 years old to give you an idea) but I guess they still have that American side to them. They definitely play ball in the park, at home etc, although not in any kind of organized game. Children of American parents may look at sports differently than Israeli ones. My sil specifically asked for baseball and football equipment because my bil grew up playing baseball and football in the US.
Anyway playmobil, Lego, an Mp3 are all great ideas and we've brought that for them as well.

Isramom8

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 6:23 pm
My sons, 5 and 9, really like transformer type toys they can manipulate. And skates, and balls, and bubbles. And bikes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics