Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
CATS

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 10:37 pm
I live in an apt building and there are 20+ cats daily. In fact, they sit half the night on my porch (which the window is to my master bedroom) and they cry all night. I'm being woken up. My son is traumatized! I called aspca, they can't help with anything! Would someone suggest HOW I could get rid of it? I'm on the verge of a breakdown! Its INSANE!!!!

sequoia

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 10:39 pm
Why are they crying? I live on a street with hundreds of stray cats and they're pretty quiet. They're only supposed to make noise in March.

Happy 2B

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 11:01 pm
what happens in march?

Happy 2B

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 11:02 pm
set a sprinkler to go off at random intervals. But if you don't have one it might not be worth it cuz it costs...

Last edited by Happy 2B on Tue, May 08 2012, 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 11:16 pm
They cry in the 'spring' I was told. But proved it otherwise. And they cry for 2 reasons: they fight w/one another and they make babies! YUCK!

chanahlady

Post Mon, May 07 2012, 11:37 pm
You could call a TNR organization (trap, neuter, release) to help with the feral colony. It's not a quick fix, though -- basically it stops them from reproducing so eventually the colony dies out.

de_goldy

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 12:17 am
Try spraying them with a hose. Apparently cats remember water and won't come back if you throw it on them.

sequoia

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 12:18 am
That's a good idea, chanahlady.

Well, I don't know where you live, OP, but on my block in Brooklyn the herd of stray cats is quiet with nary a peep. I think their mating season is already over.

Ashrei

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 3:44 am
We found 7 kittens in our backyard this morning. I was looking into it and the only thing I can do is buy traps and drop them off at shelters. hatzlacha!

HindaRochel

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 3:56 am
Ashrei wrote:
We found 7 kittens in our backyard this morning. I was looking into it and the only thing I can do is buy traps and drop them off at shelters. hatzlacha!

There are trap/neuter places and no-kill shelters all over the USA. Where are you? Don't trap the kittens, the mother is probably right around the corner.

There are Trap-Neuter-Release programs in many areas. Name your states and I'll find out if there is an organization near you that can help.

In the meantime, search this site for cat-repellents.
http://www.cat-repellant.info/

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 8:48 pm
The person who lived in your apartment previously, probably fed them, they always come back to a food source.

To the Amother who thinks Baby making is YUCK! Your right, please stop making babies, its just as YUCK! when people make them!

amother

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 8:58 am
Honey, don't u see a difference in cats making babies on ur porch as oppose to it being done privately? I mean duh!!

amother

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 9:01 am
And btw, no one lived in my apt. This building was built before we moved in (about 8 years ago) AND the cats started 2 years ago

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 9:26 am
First of all, I'd rather have cats than mice, rats and snakes.

Second, keep rag of ammonia on your porch and it should keep them away.

Third, as other have said, hose 'em down.

Ashrei

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 9:35 am
THanks for that awesome info HindaRochel. After a few days I feel attached to them, but still feel spay/neutering them is the best thing for everyone. I live in Flatbush. And I posted a video of these guys here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-d53x5tTTM

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 9:36 am
Ashrei wrote:
THanks for that awesome info HindaRochel. After a few days I feel attached to them, but still feel spay/neutering them is the best thing for everyone. I live in Flatbush. And I posted a video of these guys here:

That's a HUGE litter!

HindaRochel

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 10:29 am
Ashrei wrote:

Oy they are cute! There are eight of them? Are you sure they are feral (does mom fear you?) and not strays or not simply an outdoor cat? They are very clean and healthy looking.

gp2.0

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 10:53 am
Cut up lemons into quarters and scatter them on the porch, leave them there for a few days. That worked for me. They don't like the smell. Also, spray water on them.

Does anyone leave any food at all out on the porch?

Ashrei: There is a halachic side to neutering and spaying, so CYLOR.

mummyto2

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 11:05 am
cats hate vinegar...pour it on your porch and they will go away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics