Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Most Organized Home in America - HGTV
1  2  Next

wereafamily

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 9:24 am
I came across this video with some amazing organizing tips... I'm so excited!

Web Page Name

If you have other videos like this one, please share Smile

Last edited by wereafamily on Tue, May 15 2012, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

Bleemee

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 9:46 am
I haven't watched your link, but I think you would like Vicki Norris. http://www.youtube.com/user/Vi.....watch

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:04 am
wereafamily wrote:
I came across this video with some amazing organizing tips... I'm so excited!

Most Organized Home in America - HGTV Clean Freaks & Professional Organizer Alejandra Costello

If you have other videos like this one, please share Smile

When I try to open this in youtube it says I am in safety mode, and I keep unswitching from safety mode, but it still doesn't work- anyone have this?

MGmom

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:27 am
Same here... cant watch it. Wanna try again?

Fox

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:19 am
Interesting -- but I feel like saying, "Ich ken oich azoy!" I'd love to see a frum woman make videos of how she organizes a tiny apartment in EY or Brooklyn, including a less-than-updated kitchen!

The idea of using chalkboard labels was good, though.

wereafamily

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:24 am
amother & MGmom - Is it working for you now?

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:29 am
wereafamily wrote:
amother & MGmom - Is it working for you now?

Nope- I think it's something to do with my settings on google chrome. Gotta ask DH when he gets home.

wereafamily

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 11:34 am
Fox wrote:
Interesting -- but I feel like saying, "Ich ken oich azoy!" I'd love to see a frum woman make videos of how she organizes a tiny apartment in EY or Brooklyn, including a less-than-updated kitchen!

The idea of using chalkboard labels was good, though.

It's interesting that your saying that because I'm so excited I found this video because it has so many good ideas for my new apartment - which is really really small.

For example: Lazy Susan, double shelf and draw dividers are great for small kitchens. For the bathroom I love the door pocket idea, my bathroom is tiny and this would work great and the shower curtain with the pockets I think its brilliant.

But yes, it would be nice to see a Jewish family Smile

Tova

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 12:09 pm
I think I do every single thing she showed in her kitchen except the sheetmetal on the back of the cabinet doors. That was interesting!

I would like to see her ideas on organizing kids stuff though!

wereafamily

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 12:32 pm
Tova wrote:
I think I do every single thing she showed in her kitchen except the sheetmetal on the back of the cabinet doors. That was interesting!

I would like to see her ideas on organizing kids stuff though!

Wow, so cool!

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 12:58 pm
Am I the only person that thinks she is crazy?
She has so much "extra" stuff in her place. Why do you need so much spare? So many different types?
Besides the fact that most of her "organizing" tips just make me feel like there is more of a mess. I prefer things to be "hidden" not in every open wall space possible. When there is stuff everywhere like that, even if everything has its place, it just makes me feel like the house is a mess.
The same way everything has its place on the wall, everything can have its place on the floor in the middle of the room, at least that's the way her organizing makes me feel.
Maybe I'm the crazy one.

amother

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 1:41 pm
My favorite book is Clutter's Last Stand. by Don Aslett. He also has lots of books on all types of cleaning.
I always read it to inspire me before Pesach. It's humorous, it's to the point, and it's fun!

Tova

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 4:01 pm
amother wrote:
She has so much "extra" stuff in her place. Why do you need so much spare? So many different types?
Besides the fact that most of her "organizing" tips just make me feel like there is more of a mess. I prefer things to be "hidden" not in every open wall space possible. When there is stuff everywhere like that, even if everything has its place, it just makes me feel like the house is a mess.
The same way everything has its place on the wall, everything can have its place on the floor in the middle of the room, at least that's the way her organizing makes me feel.
Maybe I'm the crazy one.

Just because you have a different system than her why would you think she is crazy?

Her condo actually has a very clean-space look to it - almost cold-like and not warm and inviting, and definitely obviously kid-free. But I like it from an organizational point of view.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 5:19 pm
It's really amazing. I can't imagine anyone living like that.

JollyMommy

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 10:16 pm
thanks for posting!

my house is very organized and I have 3 little kids B"H and my house is tiny.

As a disclaimer I do have cleaning help and I don't have a full time job- I do however have MANY responsibilities outside the home (I work a lot with our business, at the kids' school, volunteer etc. which take about 4 hours a day, so pretend I have a part time job)

Here's the truth about keeping it organized: when you have little kids it gets undone, if you want it to stay organized you have to devote many hours at least every 2 weeks to reset things like their clothes and toys and books. If you catch my house towards the end of 2 weeks before I overhaul it again it will be significantly less organized. So, you have to decide how much time you want to devote to this obsession.

I shared once before about our toy system which really works for my 2 year old and 5 year old and it will make your life better because your kids discover different things..

Basically I have tupperwares with sides that flip up and lock that are easy enough for both of my boys to unlock and lock on their own. The brand is called "Really Useful Container" and it's sold at Office Depot.
We have different boxes for different toys and labeled on the outside. It is stacked on one side of the closet in 3X5 rows. It changes as they change toys, at this moment there are... clicks, lincoln logs, stuffed animals, art supplies, big legos, little legos, train tracks, trains, little cars, big vehicles, plastic animals, wooden blocks, foam blocks, Mr. Potato Head, balls. Of course they have some giant stuff that doesn't fit into tupperware, so my 5 year old's bed has 3 drawers built in and we put them in here. Under my 2 year old's crib is 2 boxes that are open for his little weird stuff that he collects and can't really be categorized.

I have 2 sets of ELFA drawers in the other side of their closet with the same drawers for each of them: Underwear and socks, shirts, pants and shorts, pajamas. Above them I hang shabbos shirts and pants.

I have tried organizing books a zillion different ways including in library boxes, by genre, by size, by author... however in the kids' room we do use the books a lot, many every day. So currently it's just divided into jewish and secular. More than this and I would need to overhaul it constantly and I would not get anything else productive done with my life.

I have more to say but this is for now...

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 8:23 am
Ok, I can use help here. What is an alternative to Elfa drawers that are good and not as expensive? We're running out of space in the dresser, and since we currently have a walk in closet in the main kids' room, I'd like to take advantage of that space. (I don't know if we'll always have that much space as we'll be moving in a few years again, so I want a free standing system). If I'm spending $150, I might as well get a dresser.

JollyMommy

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 4:15 pm
you can do those clear tupperware stacks-- they are the same size and shape as my elpha. there's a skinny drawer on top, then bigger, then bigger. 5 drawers. I used this before I sprung for elfa.

Tova

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 4:21 pm
esteec wrote:
you can do those clear tupperware stacks-- they are the same size and shape as my elpha. there's a skinny drawer on top, then bigger, then bigger. 5 drawers. I used this before I sprung for elfa.

Can you please post a link to the elfa drawers you have?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 5:33 pm
esteec wrote:
What clear Tupperware stacks? I'm not seeing anything on their site that looks like a reasonable size.

celestial

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
Maybe I'm the crazy one.

She makes me feel oddly violent Tongue Out Just kidding. She seems crazy, though. Like she never left the middle school level aesthetic, and she definitely seems to hoard stuff like craft supplies (just not magazines)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics