Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Eating basari only and seuda shlishi

RachelEve14

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 7:05 am
I've been curious about this for a long time. Amongst people who are makpid to have only basari on Shabbot, how come it's only for 2 meals and not the three. We also fall into this category. We rarely (maybe 2x a year) have dairy on Shabbot, but we never eat meat at seuda shlishi. Either dairy or parve depending on time of year. I only ever met one person who eats meat at seuda shlishi, and they eat dairy at the mid-day meal (early minyan, come home have bagels, fish, dairy, and then eat the chullent / main meal towards the end of the day)

chani8

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 8:35 am
We hold that on a chag you must eat basari.

We quit being makpid on 3 meals on a chag.

Our custom used to be to make kiddish and motzi and eat dairy right after davening, then bentch, and (boys take a nap,) and then later, eat the big basari meal.

These days, my girls eat dairy while the boys are davening, and then when the boys (who've had all night to eat dairy) come home, we eat basari and pareve dessert. They go to sleep for the long afternoon, and we (most of us) manage to make a 3rd meal, often able to slip some dairy for dessert at the end of 3rd meal.

BeershevaBubby

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 9:00 am
Seudah Shelisheet doesn't have the same status as Friday night and Shabbat lunch. There's no kiddush, no 2 loaves of challah... maybe that has something to do with it.

morahtikvah

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 9:10 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Seudah Shelisheet doesn't have the same status as Friday night and Shabbat lunch. There's no kiddush, no 2 loaves of challah... maybe that has something to do with it.

I've even heard it said that with Shabbat meals, three is really two and a half. Tongue Out

chicco

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 9:12 am
We have three bisari shabbos meals in the summer. s's is hard in the winter time, but once shabbos gets longer we have a real sit down. Two weeks ago we had potato borekas, shnitzel, and salad. Last week we had potato kugel and chicken/pastrami/kishka roll ups. This week we are eating out for lunch so I am thinking about putting a cholent up for seuda shlishis. We call it an insurance cholent, on the chance that our meal out just doesn't do it for us Smile

chicco

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 9:13 am
Also, I am pretty sure you do need two challos.

mamaleh

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 9:28 am
chicco wrote:
Also, I am pretty sure you do need two challos.

I was going to say the same thing. Lechem Mishna is definitely required at SS. I was actually taught that anytime you wash on Shabbos you should have Lechem Mishna (even if you eat 4 or more meals)

RachelEve14

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 10:23 pm
YESHASettler wrote:

You do need 2 challot. And you don't make kiddish because you have already done it, just like you don't make kiddush at lunch if you were already at a kiddish. It has nothing to do with lunch per say, just with sanctifying the day.

I have never seen anything that says it doesn't have the same status. I'm really curious (maybe someone's dh knows) about why people are makpid on meat for Friday night and Shabbot morning, but not in the afternoon.

mamaleh

Post Thu, May 17 2012, 6:01 am
I also know some people who are makpid to drink wine or grape juice at SS so as to make Hagafen at all 3 seudos.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note