Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Something positive about chassidish women
Previous  1  2  3

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, May 25 2012, 4:50 pm
Ruchel wrote:
Why would someone need to locate it physically before she needs bedikot? it's just a recipe to hurt oneself.

??

Perhaps because it's important to know one's body parts and how they work?

Roots

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 7:02 am
I actually find this article a very nice answer to the non religious/jewish population.
it was a little harsh for the frum population... (when I make bedikot in the shiva niki'im I never do that for enjoyment purposes etc...)
but she isnt writing it for us she is writing it for the people who bad mouth orthodox judaism, and for them, this is what they need to hear in a language they understand.

haleyaskins

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 7:13 pm
Yikes. People really seemed to take issue with my labeling Deborah Feldman's article as a "fair critique" of Chaya's. For anyone who were careful in reading what I wrote, they'd know that I was in no way agreeing with Deborah's conclusions regarding whether women are oppressed or not in modern orthodox communities (though we'd be naive to say that there are NO women who feel this way). I was simply arguing that her general critique, (much like Rabbi Fink's) was fair in stating that it is unreasonable to make generalizations on behalf of an entire community.

Put simply, Deborah is quick to state that her conclusions are SUBJECTIVE, whereas Chaya is trying hard to prove that hers are OBJECTIVE.

I am quite happy for Chaya that she is so pleased with her life, and agree with many of you who see the value in such a positive article being exposed. However, that does not take away from the fact that sadly, many women do not feel the same way as Chaya. And in that sense, she does not represent all frum women. Though, I am happy if you can say that you fit her description.

(Perhaps this can be a topic for a different time, but we need not limit "oppression" to women from extremely chassidish communities as Deborah Feldman pointed out. I know of plenty of women in the modern orthodox community who feel trapped religiously. As Rabbi Fink pointed out, we can say we play a different role all we want, but the bottom line is, from a halakhic standpoint, women are second class citizens. And though that may not bother you, it bothers someone else.)

ILOVELIFE

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 7:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
1Life2Live wrote:
I didn't mind the article, but I don't like that she calls herself chassidish. To me Lubavitch (although a sect of Chassidus) is NOT AT ALL like the other sects. It's completely different and I don't know why she thinks she can compare the two. If she grew up Satmer she would probably not have gone to the same college and would not be working in the field she's in. A little out of touch with chassidus if you ask me.
Do you know what Chassidus means?
Lubavitch is true Chassidus.
Maybe you're mixing up the externals of your Chassidus and can't see how Lubavitch can be Chassidish.

RA Mom you've just made the most awesome comment since the start of imamother. Seriously. It sickens me that women just don't know what chassidus is. I used to teach it and every year the girls were shocked.oy.

gp2.0

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 7:27 pm
What sickens me is that those girls you taught were not growing up with true chassidus yet still called themselves chassidish. Essentially, living a lie.

If they were growing up in a true chassidish environment, it wouldn't need to be taught.

b from nj

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 7:28 pm
MamaBear wrote:
I'm no prude but I thought her article was crude. Hey I rhymed.

Same here!!

ally

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 5:07 am
ILOVELIFE wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
1Life2Live wrote:
I didn't mind the article, but I don't like that she calls herself chassidish. To me Lubavitch (although a sect of Chassidus) is NOT AT ALL like the other sects. It's completely different and I don't know why she thinks she can compare the two. If she grew up Satmer she would probably not have gone to the same college and would not be working in the field she's in. A little out of touch with chassidus if you ask me.
Maybe you're mixing up the externals of your Chassidus and can't see how Lubavitch can be Chassidish.

RA Mom you've just made the most awesome comment since the start of imamother. Seriously. It sickens me that women just don't know what chassidus is. I used to teach it and every year the girls were shocked.oy.

These articles aren't about learning Chassidus. They are about the culture of Chassidic life. And with the possible exception of some more extreme Chabad communities in Israel, the lifestlyle and philosophies of Chabad chassidim are completely different to that of other Chassidim.

myself

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 8:17 am
Fully agreeing with all the facts in her article is not the point. Putting us in a positive light is. Negatively portraying Jewish women will not do anything to help those of you that are feeling trapped. It definitely should be dealt with but why in the public eye?

1Life2Live

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 9:24 am
ally wrote:
ILOVELIFE wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
1Life2Live wrote:

These articles aren't about learning Chassidus. They are about the culture of Chassidic life. And with the possible exception of some more extreme Chabad communities in Israel, the lifestlyle and philosophies of Chabad chassidim are completely different to that of other Chassidim.

I didn't mean to say that Lubavitch is not chassidus, because it is and I'm not fighting that. What I didn't like was that she is comparing her life within Lubavitch to those of other sects of Chassidus. And I don't think you can compare the two.

ally

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 12:28 pm
1Life2Live wrote:
ally wrote:
ILOVELIFE wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
1Life2Live wrote:

I didn't mean to say that Lubavitch is not chassidus, because it is and I'm not fighting that. What I didn't like was that she is comparing her life within Lubavitch to those of other sects of Chassidus. And I don't think you can compare the two.

I agree with you.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics