Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Do computers w same internet connection need separate filter

Mevater

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 3:15 am
Do all computers w same internet connection each need a separate filter?

Is there any reliable filter that would work on all computers connected to internet with one connection -entire family logging in on different computers with one connection throughout the house?

Please clarify. Im clueless about the Jewish filters. TIA

chocolate chips

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 9:17 am
AFAIK the filter is downloaded to each computer individually not to the internet itself so yes you would need to download to each computer.

bnm

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 9:56 am
chocolate chips wrote:
AFAIK the filter is downloaded to each computer individually not to the internet itself so yes you would need to download to each computer.

unless your internet provider (yeshivanet/jnet/koshernet) is providing filtered internet service and then all devices are covered

Mevater

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 9:57 am
Is there even one exception?

sky

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 10:47 am
Each computer needs their own filter.

Some routers can have filtering done on the router and then the filter will apply to any device connecting through your router.

there is a product called iboss/ihome that performs filtering at the router and it is supposedly very good and reliable. I've been trying to order it but it is out of stock.

http://www.iboss.com/residential.html

Mama Bear

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 2:02 pm
why dont you call the TAG hotline, they have all the information.

Happy 2B

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 2:07 pm
I think there are filters that can be attached to a modem or router, I believe I read about such a thing actually.

Why do you want one filter and not downloaded to each computer?

MrsDash

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 2:28 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
why dont you call the TAG hotline, they have all the information.

Happy 2B wrote:
I think there are filters that can be attached to a modem or router, I believe I read about such a thing actually.

What they said.

TAG can probably help you find a device that has the ability to filter your internet for every computer in the house.

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 2:32 pm
We've used Rimon, and now we use Smile (Israel filters). Both apply to all the connections in the house, including iPods. Don't ask me how. When DH or I set it on a certain level, that is what everyone can access.

DS says you can pay for two separate internet connections, if you want dual standards of filtering.

questioner

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 3:06 pm
Filters can be configured on the computer level - in which case each computer would need its own filter, on the router level, so all computers accessing the router will use the filter, and on the ISP level (I.e. YeshivaNet/Jnet), which will affect all activity using the ISP. The main diff. between filtering on the router / ISP level is that if you filter on the router, you can conceivably plug the computer directly into the modem and access the unfiltered connection)

Filters on the ISP / router can be bypassed by using a different connection (an open WiFi connection, bringing a laptop somewhere else and plugging it in)
Filters on the computer can be bypassed by bringing a new computer/netbook/phone/ipod etc and connecting through that.

If you want a free filter on the router level, look into OpenDNS (opendns.com ). Not all routers work with it, but it's free, speeds up your connection, and you can customize blocking levels.

Isramom8

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 3:25 pm
Thanks for that explanation. We use our filter for our kids who are too young to do these bypassing tricks. Our kids who are sophisticated enough to do the stuff you mentioned are legal adults, responsible for their own choices.

sky

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 4:22 pm
What internet do you have? I think if you have a FIOS Verizon router you can set parental controls in the router itself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics