Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Can I bring my young child to my ultrasound appointment?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 2:17 am
I am going through IF treatments and I usually go to get monitored in the morning, but the next day that I need to be monitored, the doctor's office only has monitoring in the late afternoon after my child is already home from gan. Is it weird if my child comes to the appointment? I have no place to leave DC.

WWYD?

kalsee

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 2:21 am
Is it an IF clinic where you will be waiting with others suffering from IF? Because then it might be insensitive to bring a child.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 2:23 am
I'd call the place and ask. Some places have policies and don't allow children at all, others might not mind, doesn't hurt to ask, the secretary would know.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 2:29 am
kalsee wrote:
Is it an IF clinic where you will be waiting with others suffering from IF? Because then it might be insensitive to bring a child.
It is not specifically IF, it is a briut haisha clinic, so its everything for women, there are pregnant women as well.

torahtots

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:19 am
IyH everything will go well at your appointment, but if ch"v something doesn't, do you really want your child to be there? I am really glad mine was not there when I found out my baby's heart had stopped beating.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:34 am
torahtots wrote:
IyH everything will go well at your appointment, but if ch"v something doesn't, do you really want your child to be there? I am really glad mine was not there when I found out my baby's heart had stopped beating.
AsI wrote in my OP, I am going to be monitored for IF treatments, in other words, I am going to see if my follicles have matured, thats it. Nothing like what you write. Nothing can "go wrong", either the follicles have gotten bigger (yippee) or they have not in which case I will be sad, but my child wont have any worries as to my temperament. This is not my first cycle, I know how to act. Does this make a difference to you now? Just wondering.

torahtots

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:39 am
Oops, sorry I didn't read it clearly.
From the medical perspective, people take their kids to all sorts of appointments in this country and the doctor probably wouldn't raise his/her eyebrows. As someone going through IF, I guess you know how it feels when you see young children. Personally I have a hard time seeing babies up to age 1 or 2 so if your DC is older than that, maybe it wouldn't bother the other patients but I don't know.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:44 am
torahtots wrote:
Oops, sorry I didn't read it clearly.
From the medical perspective, people take their kids to all sorts of appointments in this country and the doctor probably wouldn't raise his/her eyebrows. As someone going through IF, I guess you know how it feels when you see young children. Personally I have a hard time seeing babies up to age 1 or 2 so if your DC is older than that, maybe it wouldn't bother the other patients but I don't know.
OK, you are obviously not reading all of the posts because I also wrote that it is not an IF clinic but a woman's health clinic so pregnant women are there, and any other women with any woman problem or any reason they would be visiting the obgyn, its not juts fertility stuff.

torahtots

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 4:50 am
That doesn't mean they're not there.

Like I said, the doctors are not going to care. Everybody does it in Israel. So if that's your question, I think I answered it.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 5:45 am
I know that from my experience, they put all the IF appointments around the same time. So while you may be at the women's clinic, most if not all the women sitting around you may be most likely going through IF.

I'm also surprised they've given you an afternoon appointment. It's usually only done in the morning (so the doctor can review your chart and can tell you what to do).

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 5:49 am
YESHASettler wrote:
I know that from my experience, they put all the IF appointments around the same time. So while you may be at the women's clinic, most if not all the women sitting around you may be most likely going through IF.

I'm also surprised they've given you an afternoon appointment. It's usually only done in the morning (so the doctor can review your chart and can tell you what to do).
Yes, this was weird to me too but it seems where I go, on wednesdays they are only there for maakav zkikim in the afternoon. Im actually going to call my RE office to find out if I should do it a day earlier because of that.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 5:51 am
Well, whatever ends up happening, may you be successful and have mazal this time around.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 5:54 am
YESHASettler wrote:
Well, whatever ends up happening, may you be successful and have mazal this time around.
Thank you and I already called the RE office and I am going to go to a different place in the morning and hope I get there in time because they said that in the afternoon it is too late to be able to give me horaot as to what I need to do that night.

Thanks everyone. In the end it wont be a problem.

persephonefalls

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 11:36 am
Glad it won't be a problem, but just from my experience, I would say always ask your doctor's office if it's okay to bring a small child. At my previous OBGYN, it was totally acceptable to bring children to ultrasound appointments. At my current OBGYN, it is absolutely not allowed.

So there's not one right answer, and it definitely is good to ask.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 1:18 pm
Lol this reminds me when my mother was pregnant with one of my siblings she had to take the youngest one with her I think he was 2/3 at the time.

A few MONTHS! later he was playing dr with my sister and told her to lie down, then he said ok Im going to put something on your tummy and rub it around, he set up the toy laptop and said look at the computer and pretend you can see a baby! My sister asked him how he knows to do this he said oh that is what the dr did to mummy!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 1:49 pm
I have an sonogram scheduled and don't have any children Baruch Hashem but before I hung up after making my appointment they told me no kids... I know it's not a question anymore for you but in case anyone else was curious. (this was at Methodist in Brooklyn)

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 2:04 pm
I am glad it works out at the end. Wishing you a lot of mazel there!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 8:01 pm
Ok, I know it isnt an issue for the op now, but I was wondering if people don't mind their children seeing them like that, especially if the ultrasound is vaginal. A young child wouldn't neccessarily stay put on a chair on the other side of the curtain.

cm

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 8:16 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, I know it isnt an issue for the op now, but I was wondering if people don't mind their children seeing them like that, especially if the ultrasound is vaginal. A young child wouldn't neccessarily stay put on a chair on the other side of the curtain.

I've never taken a child to a vaginal exam, but for a very young child (under age three) I don't think it would be a problem. Your body is covered by a drape anyway.

I took my 2 1/2 year old to various tests when I couldn't get childcare. She sat nicely (strapped in) in her stroller during Mommy's "checkups." No curtain - I would keep her in view at all times.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 10:13 pm
I did.
Same situation as you, IF clinic, child was home, no babysitter. He's 2. I'd seen people bring their kids before, so I knew it wasn't an issue, and there was no one waiting at the time, anyway.
he was strapped into the stroller, held my hand the whole time. He was a little scared for me "you ok, mommy?" and was asking questions. I told him they were measuring me (he knows what measuring means in reference to shoes, and pants, and things like that) and he thought they were measuring my legs ("it tickles, mommy?").
It was fine. It happened. He forgot about it. Do what you have to do with the least stress possible.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette