Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Fired and they won't tell me why!
Previous  1  2

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 11:06 pm
I also agree if this is the 3rd time in a row that this has happened, you may need to find a new line of work. Or at least a completely different environment in which to work, because CLEARLY whatever it is you're doing, isn't good. And yes, one can assume that if someone gets fired 3 times in a row it's their fault.

Yes, administrations are terrible, esp. in the NYCBOE, but this is over the top. Give yourself a break and find something you're better at.

seeker

Post Sun, Jun 10 2012, 11:52 pm
I'm going to dissent here and say it's too rash to quit your line of work entirely. You obviously like what you do, feel competent about it, and have already invested a lot in your education and experience. However, the repeated firings definitely warrant reflection. Two options that immediately come to mind without giving up your profession: 1. Seek a different type of position within your field, e.g. SEIT, 1:1 tutor, or evaluator instead of classroom teacher; perhaps a different working style will bring out your strengths better. 2. Pursue the same kind of jobs as before but commit to working on your own with a mentor or professional coach in your field, someone you hire privately rather than assigned in the workplace. They should come observe you at work regularly even before any issues have a chance to arise and offer critique and suggestions, and you need to commit to following through. You mentioned that in the past your supervisors did not give you meaningful feedback, and furthermore didn't even observe you enough to have a chance to do so fairly. If you are serious about improving your professionalism, you can hire someone to do this for YOU. It's an investment, but probably very worthwhile if you want to succeed in this specific line of work after repeated disappointments.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 12:00 am
OP, I did not realize we were talking about 3 times in a row. I agree with seeker that if you are going to make this work, you need to find the sore spots by asking someone honest and objective to come and observe you and point out where you're going wrong.

Do it fast because too many jobs in too few years on a resume looks really bad in education. Hatzlacha and I hope the next job is your last one (as in--you'll stay on long Very Happy)!

miami85

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:31 am
I appreciate the support.
First of all, regarding the incident in the hallway, it had to do with us walking up the stairs, and someone closed the door which I usually prop open after I walked through, on this occasion-- with my "difficult student" who was leading the line, and thus a number of my students were left in the stairwell--with my assistant (so they were never alone). Given the size of my class the number wasn't a big deal, and I'm not sure who closed the door. It had nothing to do with touching a student. Also given the fact that this was something I did on a routine basis--walk in the hallway, not close the door-- I was surprised that they made such a big deal about it.
Second of all, I've had a string of "lousy supervisors"--not my description/observation, and situations where I've been set up for failure (impossible kids coupled with impossible classroom conditions=disaster), in one instance I had an assistant who was bad mouthing me behind my back. In this case there was something that they made to be an issue, but I had wanted to show them that I had fixed the problem, and I was told there would be further conversation, but they didn't follow through. I thought I had finally conquered my demons, but they weren't willing to talk.
I am a good teacher, I have a solid knowledge of child development. True I have had some issues dealing with assistants--but I find that its due to the fact that as a teacher I have training in areas that assistants do not and that creates friction. Often I have found that assistants want to go a "short-term" route while I want to go a method that has "long-term" success. I have found that my supervisors base their decisions on 1-2 observations and not on-going support, and they come to conclusions that are not entirely founded.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 8:40 am
miami85 wrote:
True I have had some issues dealing with assistants--but I find that its due to the fact that as a teacher I have training in areas that assistants do not and that creates friction. Often I have found that assistants want to go a "short-term" route while I want to go a method that has "long-term" success.

I'm not saying you are not right but it can be extremely frustrating for an assistant when there are 2 valid ways go to on an issue and you pick the one that ends up being a lot more work for HER. Being an assistant is hard - lots of work, mostly monotonous, and very little appreciation/respect from anyone.

I find it very upsetting when a teacher will decide to do something a certain way because she likes it better and all the extra work is dumped on MY lap. If you want it that way then do the work (or at least some of it) yourself. It's not fair that you get to make all the decisions and then they affect your assistant a lot more than they affect you.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:09 am
miami85 wrote:
I appreciate the support.
First of all, regarding the incident in the hallway, it had to do with us walking up the stairs, and someone closed the door which I usually prop open after I walked through, on this occasion-- with my "difficult student" who was leading the line, and thus a number of my students were left in the stairwell--with my assistant (so they were never alone). Given the size of my class the number wasn't a big deal, and I'm not sure who closed the door. It had nothing to do with touching a student. Also given the fact that this was something I did on a routine basis--walk in the hallway, not close the door-- I was surprised that they made such a big deal about it.
Second of all, I've had a string of "lousy supervisors"--not my description/observation, and situations where I've been set up for failure (impossible kids coupled with impossible classroom conditions=disaster), in one instance I had an assistant who was bad mouthing me behind my back. In this case there was something that they made to be an issue, but I had wanted to show them that I had fixed the problem, and I was told there would be further conversation, but they didn't follow through. I thought I had finally conquered my demons, but they weren't willing to talk.
I am a good teacher, I have a solid knowledge of child development. True I have had some issues dealing with assistants--but I find that its due to the fact that as a teacher I have training in areas that assistants do not and that creates friction. Often I have found that assistants want to go a "short-term" route while I want to go a method that has "long-term" success. I have found that my supervisors base their decisions on 1-2 observations and not on-going support, and they come to conclusions that are not entirely founded.

sigh. you've made up your mind that you can do no wrong and no matter what happens it's not your fault. I don't think you're even listening to a thing we say so this thread is a bit pointless. I'm sorry to be harsh but you need to open your eyes to reality. There are thousands of special ed teachers who are handed difficult students, difficult classes, difficult assistants, difficult supervisors and they don't get fired 3 TIMES IN A ROW. You need to get to the heart of your problems as a teacher and fix them.

seeker

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 10:41 am
miami85 wrote:

Very few people and certainly no teachers get to work in a vacuum; interpersonal skills are what makes or breaks a professional in almost every field. If you're repeatedly having friction with assistants and finding that your supervisors don't "like" you, then you need to figure out how to become more popular. This is exactly what you can and should get a professional coach to help you with. It's not that uncommon or far-fetched; these things are vital and until you learn some new tricks you are bound to experience similar tensions in any job.

spinkles

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:21 am
I was a teacher for many years. Part of the job (really for any job, not just teaching) is coming in a bit early to shmooze with colleagues, and to take the time to informally touch base with the principal and occasionally ask the principal for her advice/opinions. Make sure to tell people about fun things you're doing that have gone well too. This way people know what's going on in your classroom and see that you are dedicated and caring. Sounds like that communication may not have been happening. At your next job, this really should be a priority.

With assistants, some are great, some aren't, but either way, you must try to build rapport by sometimes asking "what do you think" and then following their advice. (Obviously pick something that you're not overly set on doing your own way.) And express lots of appreciation, give small gifts sometimes, etc. Keep in mind that assistants may not have the education you do, but they often have many years of real-world experience and lots of common sense.

Liba

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:21 am
I have been thinking about this for days, with a pit in my stomach. I understand you are upset, and I am sorry, but my gut sides with the school. They really don't need to justify firing you.

Teaching special children takes more than education. A special educational teacher needs to be special herself to handle the kids who are all coming with their own issues, challenges and frustrations. Special education is full of special kids, ones who have RAD, are non verbal and self abusive, or autistic and disruptive, etc. The difficult children in special education are the rule, not the exception. The easy ones are the ones most likely to be mainstreamed (even if with an aid).

Many of the kids can't report problems themselves, so if there is worry about a teacher it is a huge huge issue.

Once there is doubt to the ability or stability of the teacher, which with being fired twice already you were starting out with, and then when a child was emotionally harmed by your techniques, even though it "wasn't your fault", the administration was in a tough spot.

They are responsible to the children and the parents. If there was an issue that they ignored and it came out that you had already been fired from your two previous jobs, how would it look for the administration?

I feel for you, but I also feel for the kids. If the class was so tough that you couldn't control it (and it sounds like it was) you weren't doing yourself or the children any good.

As a mother, the idea of you being in charge of the class that you describe as you did for close to a full school year is really upsetting.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics