Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Looking for lots of basic info

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 1:16 pm
We have recently thought about taking the family to Israel for a year. We are not in a position to make aliyah, but would love to immerse the kids in Israeli culture and language and afford myself and my husband an opportunity to learn. Neither of us had the opportunity to go for a year as many young kids do after high school, and we are now on our late-thirties with 4 kids hoping to be able to make it happen. So we have tons of questions. Any info, either in the form of answers or websites, is appreciated. I would not prefer to get too much info from NBN because, in my experience, the info there applies to olim and we would not be in that situation.

Questions:
1) How much money would it cost a family of 6 to live, base living, in a small apartment - food, utilities, phone, internet, etc. Rent is not part of the question here of course, that depends where we end up. But basic monthly living expenses.
2) What does school cost there for non-olim? Public, private, all of it. I'm not sure what would suit us and I prefer you don't assume for me either.
3) Where are the best places for MO Americans? I would not mind being a bit far from whatever program we decided to attend if the area we were living in was well-suited.

That's all I can come up with right now but I'll add more if and when they arise. Thanks for any help!

Liba

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 1:25 pm
It depends on so many things! You might be okay with $1,500 a month plus rent, you might need $10,000 a month.

Do you "need" a car or are you planning on taking buses? Do you want to eat a typical Israeli diet or the American food you are accustomed to? What are you doing for health insurance? Do you have medical conditions and need medications? Are the kids fluent in Hebrew and able to jump into a regular Israeli school or do you need a school for American's taught in English, which could cost $1ks per kid per month?

And there is more...

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 1:38 pm
OP here: These are exactly the right things to bring up! Here's the best I can answer you. We are very basic people. Nothing fancy. We will not expect to have a car. We eat a simple Israeli diet. Even in America we don't eat meat, maybe fish, and chicken only on Shabbos. I don't know anything about the school options. So that info would be awesome if anyone has the time or websites to educate me. My kids are not fluent in Hebrew, though some of them are now able to read Hebrew. That's one reason I want to go with them, so they can immerse. I would prefer a language ulpan idea to an English school. Does that exist? They are all under age 10.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 1:39 pm
OP again:

Health insurance is a big question for us. We do need monthly meds, and of course an emergency plan. Plus regular ped checkups and the like. What would someone do for just a year?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 1:40 pm
How long are you planning on staying for? Ariel might be just the place for you.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 1:47 pm
I would say Chashmonaim, where you really don't need Hebrew to get around and can get to Ulpan in Jlm without much difficulty. People there are very nice, very welcoming, and very helpful and I think are used to in-and-outers.
FTR, real fish is expensive here - you are better off with meat in my opinion.
The first year in Israel is basically a waste when you are acclimating as an Oleh, so I think that basically you can view your year here as a Sabbatical, or a vacation.
A family of six will probably need around $3000 to live decently - and I am not sure that includes rent. It really depends on what you find.
You also need to take into account that homes here rent bare: no fridge, no store, no closets (unless you are lucky enough to find a place with built-in or walk-in) so you would need to either buy everything or rent furnished which can be more $$$.
Are you SURE this is a good idea? You make no mention of your childrens' ages or many other facts besides that they barely know Hebrew. This may be a year of learning for you and your DH... but what about them?

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:29 pm
She said her kids were all under 10, so I think it could work. Who knows maybe they will come and decide they like it enough to stay Smile

I do agree you need money to invest in basics (fridge, closets, beds, etc).

Ma'ale Adumim might be a good place. There is a huge range of apartments at a lot of different prices, but bigger places are harder to find. If you are willing to move into a 2 bedroom or small 3 bedroom for a year, you will save money and have an easier time finding a place. I would say my children's classes are about 1/4 English speaking (at least), so plenty of social opportunities and the schools are used to dealing with non Hebrew speaking children. We have good bus transportation, it's not expensive (or far) to Y-m, and even a kanyon (mall).

Chashmoniam is expensive, plus it will cost a lot to get the kids and yourselves out of the yishuv.

No idea about health insurance or what schools cost if you are not a citizen.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 3:31 pm
OP here:

Thanks so much for all the info.

Tamiri, I did mention above my kids are all under 10. I'd love them to be immersed in Israeli culture and language as an educational experience. It's not just for my husband and myself, but for them as well. A life experience for us all as a family.

We are definitely viewing it as a vacation of sorts, my husband would have to fly home several times to keep his business running and we don't want to invest in too much other than the necessities. We also don't want to surround ourselves with only Americans because at that rate we should just stay here.

This isn't something for which we have purchased tickets. However, I have a lot of family in Israel, and the idea of being able to spend of quality time with them, explore the country, learn Torah, educate the kids ... what a rich experience. So my objective is to do research and see if we can manage. My husband has a business that he will continue to run from Israel, and we want to be sure that would cover our life there for 10-12 months. Would it be much more or much less than it costs us here ... (I have asked these relatives to help me with the info but it's not something they have their finger on the pulse of and they will have to ask around just as I am.)

Basically, would $50,000 a year budget afford us the year with rent, food, utilities, school, insurance, etc? Does public school cost money for a non-resident? It's frustrating that this info is so hard to come by ... Maybe we're just not looking in the right places.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 4:16 pm
hey op,
pm the imamother member named indymom. she did something similar, I think. and I am pretty sure she did it with either 3 or 4 kids. went for 1 year.

rikki!

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 4:42 pm
Love the idea! Keep us posted. If it works out I'd like to learn from your experience!
Lots of hatzlazha

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 5:35 pm
Oops, my bad with the kids. In the case of them all being under ten, I think no harm would be done. I'm not sure there would be a major benefit but surely no long-term harm for when they go back home.
I think $50k would be doable if you keep it simple. $50k net, that is. It's more than most Israeli have but it's not enough for a life of luxury, particularly if you have a car. Also, you mention taking trips, studies etc: those things cost. Admission fees here are, in my opinion, pretty insane.
As far as medical, you can try asking PassportCard.co.il - they work with David Sheild in the U.S. and probably have something to offer for people here. There are other companies as well. All the major insurance companies here offer private medical coverage.
As far as school: I *believe* - which does not make it fact, it's just what I think - that you kids can go to school for free at a government run school.

Marion

Post Mon, Jun 11 2012, 11:11 pm
I have no idea about the schooling. However, pretty much anything would be cheaper if you're used to paying U.S. dayschool tuition!

Rent is rent, regardless of whether you're a resident or not. Utilities are based on usage. I can tell you that my tax and water bill (combined) are 550NIS monthly...electric ranges from 250NIS to 425NIS bimonthly (but we're out during the day and I'm insanely scrooge-like with the a/c). Cooking gas runs me about 50NIS bimonthly. Phone/cell phone/internet will depend on what kind of packages you have. Again, my bill is relatively low because we're not home...combined bills for all 3 of those items come in around 300-400NIS/monthly. Our supplemental health insurance is 211NIS/month...you probably need to arrange your insurance from the U.S.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions