Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Upsherin.... where do I start??

avocado

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 4:59 pm
In Israel, on a low budget, only ever been to 1 upsherin in my life, and now my DS is approaching his... advice????

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 5:04 pm
If you don't have a family minhag you can do what you like. Take your son to the barber. Go to Meron and buy everyone ice cream. Go to a local kever of a tzadik, such as Rav Shimon Hatzadik or Shmuel Hanavi in Yerushalayim. Make pizza for you, your dh and child(ren). Take your son for brochos to local rabbonim/ tzaddikim. Or any combination.

Lani22

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 5:09 pm
I would do something at home or in your backyard for his friends and your close family members. im not sure how much u want to spend but if you are looking to do something very simple just stick with a cake, fruit, some nosh, maybe some ice cream or ices and pekeluch for the kids. you can set up a nice project for the kids to do as an activity. have everyone who wants to take a snip of your sons hair and then have a barber come and clean him up at the end.
If you want to serve a meal make a cold dairy brunch. bagels, cream cheese, butter, a big tossed salad and a big pasta salad.

avocado

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 5:09 pm
Not only do neither my husband nor myself have a family minhag, we also have a bunch of daughters and this is our only son... We want to make this really special and are therefore looking for ideas. Unfortunately neither of us have much family that would be able to make it, but on the other hand it gives us more room for travel. We live in the Jerusalem area so Meron seems a bit far. Someone told me that Maarat HaMachpela is the next most popular place to do it, but I don't know why. What about the kotel?

shalhevet

Post Wed, Jun 13 2012, 5:17 pm
I don't think it is kovadik to do it at the kotel - you would have to do it well away, I think. Haircutting is not something we do in a shul. I might be wrong on this.

Lani22, I know plenty of people in EY who don't make a party for anyone outside the absolute immediate family - a project? It sounds more like a bat mitzva to me. It sounds from here that that is more American and/or chassidish way of doing it. Or maybe because there is more emphasis here on going to a kever of a tanna or amora? I don't know.

Quite honestly, for a three year old (and this is from experience too), dressing them up and them wearing tzitzis and a kippa and shlepping them to a makom kadosh and having their hair cut is more than enough excitement for them and I don't think a party for 20 or 30 people will add anything.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics