Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Kansas City - Overland Park??

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 5:10 pm
An opportunity has arisen for us to move to Kansas City, Missouri. I know absolutely nothing...I hear the community is more modern (am I wrong?) and I am frum, so I am wondering if my family will fit in. Kosher food? People? Community? Where do the frum families live? Any information is much appreciated. Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 7:08 pm
While I don't live there, from what I know it is a lovely warm community, however it is small. There is a young israel, where a friend of mine davens and she said there are really a pretty decent size of young families however the community really is quite small. There is one day school, a "community school" that is k-12. It is not orthodox, it is pluralistic. For food there is a coop and grocery stores and a cafe at the JCC. Here is a link to the vaad: http://www.vaadkc.org/ Overland park is a nice neighborhood and housing is CHEEAAAAPPPP! It won't be easy, but it is manageable for the right opportunity. The jewish community is also very "jewish" which is reflective in the fact that they have a high school. I am not really sure what to compare it too.....smaller than st louis and milwalkee but larger than greensboro and indianapolis.

amother

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 7:09 pm
oh and the from families live in overland park near beth israel (I referred to this as a young israel but the tis a mistake) http://www.biav.org/

newmomma

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 8:49 pm
My family used to live when I was a kid. It is a wonderful community, but yes modern. the poeple there are so friendly, there is kosher food, chicken, meat sold at the regular grocery store but its expensive there is not a CY option. you should go there for a shabbat and see what it is like. like previous poster said look at the biav website.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 3:06 pm
The only truly ortho shuls are BIAV and chabad. KI (Kehillath Israel) is nominally ortho IOW has ortho davening but mixed seating. Hebrew Academy K-12 has about an hour a day limudei kodesh and that includes Hebrew language, so you might want to get limudei kodesh tutoring for your kids if you have any.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 3:12 pm
But yes very Jewishly affiliated, lots of Jewish cultural things going on. OP, you planning to live there permanently or just there for a few yrs? b/c unless things change you'd prob have to send ur kids OOT to HS and get private kodesh tutor if u don't want to send them OOT for elem. BY OOT I mean away from KC.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating